Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:30 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

I'd like to point out that the OP said nothing about trying to meet someone. He simply asked which would be better for a single person. IMO, Charlotte is the most entertaining city (in NC) for someone who is single. Neighborhoods such as uptown, Noda, Southend, Plaza Midwood, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Midtown, and Madison Park has plenty of non-family oriented entertainment. Even the YMCAs in uptown and Southend don't allow the entry of kids under 16 during the business week. Almost everything in central Charlotte is geared towards young single professionals; this includes the type of real estate in central Charlotte. The apartment highrises downtown are not being built with kids in mind. Uptown/Southend is a young-adult district; which is nothing like the college town vibe that is found in other adult districts in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 22,485 times
Thanks for all the responses so far. I understand that lumping Raleigh and Durham together is like combining Ireland and England, but just like the UK, the research triangle area is stronger together. IMO all the aforementioned cities are terrific and worth living in but in many instances it's difficult to try to compare a city the size of Durham or Chapel Hill to Charlotte. For instance, when its the Research Triangle verus Charlotte and comparing areas most frequented by hipsters I think many would agree that NoDa/Plaza Midwood is a worthy adversary to Durham. That said, I think "urbancharlotte" brought up a great point. My question was in a very general sense but I consider myself to be a pretty average guy with standard taste. Although probably inconceivable I would say I'm cross between a bro and hipster so I don't really have a particular type. I think while people certainly have their preferences in dating there are some universal requirements that most can agree too.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Keith View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. I understand that lumping Raleigh and Durham together is like combining Ireland and England, but just like the UK, the research triangle area is stronger together. IMO all the aforementioned cities are terrific and worth living in but in many instances it's difficult to try to compare a city the size of Durham or Chapel Hill to Charlotte.
I believe the point people made is that your question was, "Which CITY: Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte?", and "Raleigh-Durham" is not a "city", it's a metro, like Dallas-Ft Worth or Minneapolis-St Paul. If you called DFW a "city" I imagine you'd get the same kind of response. And if you're planning on moving here, people will correct you every time you claim Raleigh-Durham" is a city If you want to speak of metro areas, say "The Triangle".

Anyway--I don't think any city/metro in NC is "known" for being particularly "better" for singles or "worse" for singles presuming you're comparing similar populations. An area of 1 million people will have a certain number of singles. What you'd want to avoid is a heavily suburban area like Cary (which is a "town" of over 100,000).

In The Triangle, at least you'd have choices between Raleigh AND Durham, not to mention Chapel Hill, while Charlotte is Charlotte. I would guess the "scene" is what you make of it in any place, especially if you're a "regular guy", so I would base my relocation on other factors such as job, geography, etc.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:55 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Do you like Clubs? Charlotte

If you dont:

The triangle

Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
College: Triangle

Post college: Charlotte

Old 08-18-2016, 04:09 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
College: Triangle

Post college: Charlotte
Agree with this

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 PM

49 posts, read 52,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Do you like Clubs? Charlotte

If you dont:

The triangle
I'd take downtown Raleigh over Charlotte Uptown/Epicenter any day. Is there a better concentration of nightclubs somewhere in Charlotte I'm missing?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Quote:
I'd take downtown Raleigh over Charlotte Uptown/Epicenter any day
Trust me, many people would. Just depends on the person.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:57 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post
I'd take downtown Raleigh over Charlotte Uptown/Epicenter any day. Is there a better concentration of nightclubs somewhere in Charlotte I'm missing?
There's several party areas uptown, and in the city of Charlotte as a whole. The city's best reggae club for example, is on The Plaza Rd between Noda and Plaza Midwood. Some of the better late night bars are in the Madison Park neighborhood along Park Rd. The Music Factory area dominates the 4th Ward section of Uptown. The best "Grown and Sexy" spot in my opinion is located on North Tryon Street uptown near Rock Bottom brewery. There's a fairly large and popular club near the Tyvola Rd light rail station; I think it's called club ONYX. There's another popular club on Brookshire Blvd and I-85. McBonies is a popular spot in the Oakhurst neighborhood of East Charlotte.

Epicentre caters to a dress-up type of crowd. People who enjoy going out without a dress code will NOT like Epicentre. However, Epicentre is far from being Charlotte's only night spot. Even Ballantyne has some bars and late-night spots to check out.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 AM

49 posts, read 52,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There's several party areas uptown, and in the city of Charlotte as a whole. The city's best reggae club for example, is on The Plaza Rd between Noda and Plaza Midwood. Some of the better late night bars are in the Madison Park neighborhood along Park Rd. The Music Factory area dominates the 4th Ward section of Uptown. The best "Grown and Sexy" spot in my opinion is located on North Tryon Street uptown near Rock Bottom brewery. There's a fairly large and popular club near the Tyvola Rd light rail station; I think it's called club ONYX. There's another popular club on Brookshire Blvd and I-85. McBonies is a popular spot in the Oakhurst neighborhood of East Charlotte.

Epicentre caters to a dress-up type of crowd. People who enjoy going out without a dress code will NOT like Epicentre. However, Epicentre is far from being Charlotte's only night spot. Even Ballantyne has some bars and late-night spots to check out.
Thanks for the info. Although I was mostly thinking nightclub in the "mainstream" sense (so for example a reggae club would not qualify, because it is too specific / a niche club). To me for an area to qualify as a club scene there needs to be multiple dance clubs (i.e. not just bars or lounges) in nearby proximity (preferably walking distance) of each other, like the Epicentre or DT Raleigh, as opposed to individual clubs scattered throughout the city (driving distance of each other). Not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but if I take in all of the various clubs across Charlotte I think have to compare it to not just DT Raleigh where there's a cluster, but also Durham, Chapel Hill, etc.

For example I looked up Rock Bottom brewery, from what I can tell it's more of a restaurant/bar than what I would call a club. Now that I think about it I think I may have commented from the perspective on which has the best cluster of clubs (i.e. if I could only spend one or two nights in one of the cities to go clubbing, which would it be). To me having multiple choices without driving around all over would be important criteria, but it may not be important to everyone.

I guess it's like someone else said, really depends on what you like and what you consider a good club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina