Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,543,942 times

Advertisements

I don't see anyone making $50K unless they have 25 years experience. Who would be interested in making just $15K more a year after 25 years of service. Is NC trying to make teaching a job you take until you can find a real job?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,109 times
It's unfortunate that conservative values don't include education.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,371,252 times
I saw a post from a teacher being shared around on facebook with the same salary table. She was mad about some misleading ads she saw during the Olympics that talked about teachers making $50000 a year.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,401,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It's unfortunate that conservative values don't include education.
Oh, they include education, just not public education. Public money for private religious schools? Sure! Money for inner city public schools? No!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I saw a post from a teacher being shared around on facebook with the same salary table. She was mad about some misleading ads she saw during the Olympics that talked about teachers making $50000 a year.
Those are those asinine ads by John Alexander and Tamara Barringer--two Republican Senate members in Wake county who use the EXACT same ad, just with different names/photos. And yes, they take credit for raising teacher pay to "$50,000" (never mind all of the stuff they did to teachers in the non-election years).

I don't know any teachers who are fooled, and it looks foolish to have the exact same ad run twice with different names plugged in.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times
Certainly not an "expert" on this topic but I'm curious: After seeing all the complaints about teacher salaries and benefits over the last few years, I got to ask: Did you (those who are complaining) feel this strongly when the Democrats were in charge??? I don't remember them doing much of anything about it and it would appear to me that "conservatives" have made far more progress on this issue that the previous several Democrat administrations. Am I wrong?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,371,252 times
Yes, you're wrong. The conservatives took away pay for advanced degrees (Masters) for "highly qualified" teachers.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:10 PM

6,164 posts, read 4,635,169 times
Some districts do offer a supplement which can result in a modest increase in salary:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...lina/84287184/

But I agree the pay is still low (especially when looking at other states with similar costs of living that pay more) in light of the contribution good teachers make to society and the increasing complexity of their jobs.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,904,708 times
Let me make one thing perfectly clear. Teachers care about students; otherwise they wouldn't teach. Being a teacher is a "real job." Unfortunately, the salary situation for NC teachers isn't the greatest. In response to the OP, it appears that NC wants to reward the newbies, less experienced until one day they wake up and realize that as they move up the salary scale, it's not so great as it was for a while in their "beginning."

When there is a pay scale in place and teachers are making progress each year and then it is frozen for years then thrown out and replaced with sort of a "start over" pay scale, it is very disheartening and not good for morale.

The NC Teacher Salary Scale that existed when Perdue became governor was preferable over the scale above IMO. For one reason, I am pretty sure the scale went up to year/step 35 rather than maxing out at 25 years. At one time a teacher with a masters AND National Board Certification would earn about $64,000 at pay step 33. This doesn't include local supplements.... pretty sure CMS has the highest local supplements in the state.

http://www.ncae.org/wp-content/uploa...in-NC-2013.pdf

2016-2016 State Teacher Salary Scale http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/fbs/...6schedules.pdf

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/fbs/finan...inance/salary/

Teachers first felt betrayed by Perdue when she took 10 hours of pay out of teachers' May paycheck in 2008. She said teachers could have the hours off to compensate but they had to be used on certain days without students (understandably) and proved to be a record keeping nightmare for school financial secretaries. The salary scale was frozen (no moving up one step per year for a pay increase EACH yr). Notice Perdue didn't run for reelection.

Instead of unfreezing the old salary scale, a couple of years ago, the legislature came up with a new salary scale designed to max out around $50,000. The younger, less experienced teachers became the ones benefiting the most. Additionally, there is no more longevity pay. This used to be a little bonus after 10 years and increased each year thereafter. Also, no more higher pay scale for a masters degree unless the masters degree is a requirement of the job. NC used to value veteran (experienced and more experienced) teachers. Some teachers are grandfathered in on the masters pay.

I think McCrory won the 2012 election at least partially as a result of teacher support due to the disappointments with democratic governor Perdue. I am pretty sure there are more than 90,000 full-time teachers in NC. They care about teacher pay and benefits; they vote. They have friends and family members who vote who care about teacher pay and benefits. Some have grown children who vote who care about teacher pay and benefits. They have former students who care about teacher pay and benefits and they vote.

NC has fewer teachers and more students :: WRAL.com

"talk" on May 25, 2016 NC Senate plan would raise average teacher pay to nearly $55K | WNCN

July 7, 2016 State budget cuts income taxes, raises teacher and state worker salaries :: WRAL.com

Teacher compensation in CMS. Please don't be misled by the info that states raises AVERAGING 4.7% ... "most others" will get 1.5% increases plus a one-time bonus of .5%. http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Jobs/Pages/Compensation.aspx

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-09-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 05:20 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, you're wrong. The conservatives took away pay for advanced degrees (Masters) for "highly qualified" teachers.
So are you are saying that they, a segment of the teacher population with advanced degrees, now actually makes less? If so, a link to the information would be appreciated. Now, I still have a question, what did the Democrats do to boost teacher pay and make this a more teacher friendly state???? I've been here for 40+ years and teacher pay has ALWAYS been an issue. During all this time Democrats were in control---not Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina