Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 PM

45 posts, read 36,071 times

Advertisements

Haha, no worries! I completely understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,058,937 times
Quick question. Any reason you can't find what you're looking for in another part of New England? NH, parts of MA and even ME would have everything you're looking for. Beaches and Mountain are an hour away unless you're on the far reaches of every state. If you're moving because you're interested in NC culture, that's fine. But I wouldn't pick a random place to move just to "get away" and simultaneously want to "feel at home". Compromise somewhere. Who knows, NC may work out for you. Just keep options open, because I don't think you need to travel as far to get what you want.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM

It's more the people I'm trying to get away from. & places like NH & ME are too isolated. I've lived here my whole life & haven't had good experiences. Not saying I'd never come back, but I'm just at a place in my life where I want to see what else is out there.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,984,407 times
Well more often and not you will run into transplants from the NE in Raleigh and Charlotte

Like I said: Greensboro / Winston Salem

Chattanooga

Wilmington

Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Thank you all so much! A trip is definitely in order.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Thank you all so much! A trip is definitely in order.
Might as well come in the summer when you can see whether you will be able to tolerate the often oppressive heat here (it was in the 90s this weekend and BRUTAL--and it's not even summer yet!)

Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Someone had brought it to my attention that I never stated my ethnicity, religion, views, etc. This is what I responded in another thread - I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:18 PM

If narrowed down to the triangle, what are everyone's opinions/suggestions? The article below has me interested in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, & Durham in terms of food, music, night life, active life, etc.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:37 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 04:22 AM

13,379 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
If narrowed down to the triangle, what are everyone's opinions/suggestions? The article below has me interested in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, & Durham in terms of food, music, night life, active life, etc.
The Triangle is an interesting area with a lot of entertainment options. You will miss the Rhode Island seafood and good pizza, however.

Regarding job oportunities: the NC State Veterinary School is in Raleigh, and other colleges in the area train vet techs, so there may be competition for jobs.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 AM

Thank you! I was looking at apartment prices & vet tech jobs last night - there's quite a few listings! I'm not certified but that doesn't seem to be a requirement & I've been in the field for 4 & a 1/2 years. I'm at an urgent care facility now (3 years this past April so the experience is there). I was impressed by one in Durham & found beautiful apartments for around $700/mo. Not sure what the pay is however. How is cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina