Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 AM

6 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

I am moving from DC with faith. I will be needing to stay a shelter to get on my feet and look for work. I have a bachelor degree in business and working on my Master's degree. What area of South Carolina that would be starting from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,433,048 times
Did you mean North or South Carolina?

It's hard to guide you. I can say that the Mission in Raleigh might work for you, if you plan to come to NC. You'll need a bigger city with services for people trying to get back to work. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM

The areas I was thinking about was Beaufort, Greenville, or Hilton Head Island South Carolina.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaflood View Post
The areas I was thinking about was Beaufort, Greenville, or Hilton Head Island South Carolina.
Are you a troll or are you seriously expecting some charity to provide you with a place to live on Hilton Head Island?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM

If you not going to provide some great recommendation, please don't message me. Only serious advice.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The South Carolina Small Business Association provides loans.

https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/sc/columbia

Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM

I've been researching Raleigh, NC. I believe that would be a great starting point. I will check out the SBA link for small business.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,550,694 times
Quote:
If you not going to provide some great recommendation, please don't message me. Only serious advice.

Thanks
Goldenage1 was giving quite valid advice, even if if might have been stated in a flippant manner. I can't imagine considering Hilton Head if I were looking for serious financial support to get a jumpstart in life or business. In your first post, you mention the possible need to live in a shelter when you first move. Hilton Head does not equal low cost of living. I'm not sure that Beaufort does either, but that's a question for the South Carolina forum, not North Carolina, where this is posted.

BTW, when you post on a public forum asking for advice, you have to expect all kinds of responses; some helpful, some not. That's the nature of the beast, and the chance you take. If someone posts something that you find offensive or unhelpful, bite your tongue and just ignore them. Life's too short to get in a wad about something some anonymous stranger posts online.

Many of us who regularly post on C-D really do try to be helpful when help is warranted.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,433,048 times
There is no shelter support on Hilton Head. The jobs there are hospitality or retail. It is very expensive, as is any resort beach front location. There is not one in Beaufort either. I worked at a shelter in DC. There are many services there for those in need. Once you get down here, you'll find less.

If you plan to stay at a shelter, you have to go where there is a shelter. Larger cities have services available to homeless people.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
In your first post, you mention the possible need to live in a shelter when you first move. Hilton Head does not equal low cost of living. I'm not sure that Beaufort does either, but that's a question for the South Carolina forum, not North Carolina, where this is posted.
I am honestly confused about what sort of help the OP was expecting, whether a loan or free housing. I felt it was inappropriate to expect to live in a homeless shelter on Hilton Head Island.

The OP mention going on faith. Perhaps he/she needs to contact some faith communities. I believe the Salvation Army offers beds and a meal to anyone who listens to their message.

If the OP really needs a loan to start a business, he/she will have to have a business plan, and be able to show some experience with the field. It is not easy to get a start, which is why many people have to invest their own capital.

BTW, there are cities named Beaufort and Greenville in both North and South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina