Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,996,326 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is experiencing a wave of immigration for folks fleeing high taxes, poor services, overpowered unions and regulations.

Yet it seems with the immigration the voice for the more liberal perspective has grown stronger.

Wasn't it this same mentality that essentially has caused to NY and NJ to fail the middle class?

Isn't our conservative re-worked tax structure the main draw for alot of these folks?

I'm not trying to say you should like HB2 here just that up there they are forging a path further and deeper to the left and the outcome seems to be that life doesn't work for regular folks so why should we want to do those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,402,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
North Carolina is experiencing a wave of immigration for folks fleeing high taxes, poor services, overpowered unions and regulations.

Yet it seems with the immigration the voice for the more liberal perspective has grown stronger.

Wasn't it this same mentality that essentially has caused to NY and NJ to fail the middle class?

Isn't our conservative re-worked tax structure the main draw for alot of these folks?

I'm not trying to say you should like HB2 here just that up there they are forging a path further and deeper to the left and the outcome seems to be that life doesn't work for regular folks so why should we want to do those things?
Simply put. Many of us (myself included) prefers the mentality and built-environment of the north. However, we prefer the weather and cost of living in the south. The south is this way due to having a lesser dense population. It has very little to do with conservative southern politics.

If conservative values were attractive to transplants, then Mississippi and Alabama would be leaders in New South growth. It's actually the least conservative southern states (Florida, Virginia, NC, and Metro Atl Georgia) that are most attractive to new comers. These are also the most expensive southern states in which to live as well (due to population growth and economics linked to growth/density).

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,456,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Simply put. Many of us (myself included) prefers the mentality and built-environment of the north. However, we prefer the weather and cost of living in the south. The south is this way due to having a lesser dense population. It has very little to do with conservative southern politics.
^^^^^ This, nobody relocates to NC because they love conservative government.

It's the weather and COL

Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 AM

48 posts, read 56,330 times
Quote:

Not all of us moved for all those reasons. My main reason for moving was work related. Yes I paid high taxes in CT but my children went to some of the best public schools in the country (can't say that here in NC)
My daughter went and would have gone to this middle school:

The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. | The Best Schools(#8 on this link)

Services are poor in some areas but better in others. so I give that a 50-50. Unions & regulations I can't give my opinion on as I have no experience with them. As i see it the pendulum swung to far to the left in parts of the NE (VT, MA & NH are fine) and too far to the right in the South.

Do I miss the NE, yes. Do I like living here Yes. Both places have great things to offer, it just depends on what you are willing to make of it.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 AM

3,879 posts, read 4,305,813 times
Quote:

Not seeing the logic because it's not a simple equation but a combination of factors. It simply cost more to live in large urban touristy centers like NYC, Philly, Boston, etc due to demand. Amenities, events, etc are on another level versus anywhere in the south. If you have access (mass transit, etc) to an abundance of options, you're going to have to pay for those privileges via taxes.

People also desire a slower pace of life (tired of the hustle/bustle), warmer climate, yardage, etc. But also take into account a significant salary discrepancy between similar jobs in NYC and NC, so COL savings isn't as magnified as touted.

Conservative re-worked tax structure? People from up north have been relocating to NC since the 70s/80s.

In reality, the NYC metro is still growing so it hasn't shut down nor has the middle class evaporated. I think it has more do with the south's warmer climate, slower pace and now job opportunities that are attracting some people to move here. As you migrate further from the large urban centers I think the COL, etc in those states is on par with most parts of the country. Most of NC's growth is attributable to two metros, so there is also a huge contingent of in-state migration from rural areas and those areas are suffering from that mass exodus.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 AM

730 posts, read 781,410 times
Have you lived thru 25-60 Northern winters? It is about the climate.

The North has been migrating south since the advent of air conditioning. Man has known how to create heat for many a millennia but AC isn't 100 years old yet. Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc. would never have become major metro areas without AC.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 05-19-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not seeing the logic because it's not a simple equation but a combination of factors. It simply cost more to live in large urban touristy centers like NYC, Philly, Boston, etc due to demand. Amenities, events, etc are on another level versus anywhere in the south. If you have access (mass transit, etc) to an abundance of options, you're going to have to pay for those privileges via taxes.

People also desire a slower pace of life (tired of the hustle/bustle), warmer climate, yardage, etc. But also take into account a significant salary discrepancy between similar jobs in NYC and NC, so COL savings isn't as magnified as touted.

Conservative re-worked tax structure? People from up north have been relocating to NC since the 70s/80s.

In reality, the NYC metro is still growing so it hasn't shut down nor has the middle class evaporated. I think it has more do with the south's warmer climate, slower pace and now job opportunities that are attracting some people to move here. As you migrate further from the large urban centers I think the COL, etc in those states is on par with most parts of the country. Most of NC's growth is attributable to two metros, so there is also a huge contingent of in-state migration from rural areas and those areas are suffering from that mass exodus.

So how do you cram asheville into charlotte or the triangle

not to mention the coast....

And the tax policy creates the 'low' COL

Old 05-19-2016, 09:48 AM

The population argument goes only so far IMO

Texas has some huge pop but still maintains a low COL also just because you have a lot of people doesn't mean you have high taxes necessarily.

Florida as well....

Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Have you lived thru 25-60 Northern winters? It is about the climate.
I live in Boone for five years pretty cold, My sister in law lived in upstate NY she kinda opened my eyes saying the snow just never melted now THAT sucks

Old 05-19-2016, 10:02 AM

3,879 posts, read 4,305,813 times
Quote:
So how do you cram asheville into charlotte or the triangle

not to mention the coast....

And the tax policy creates the 'low' COL
As NC urban metros begin to mature and become more dense with other infrastructure upgrades, etc the COL will continue to escalate in those areas, just like the northern brethren. Also, these metros and urban areas tend to lean left or have moderate open door policies that attract new business and people.

NC's growth was initiated under Dem controlled GA, mostly DEM and mod GOP governors in the 70s/80s/90s. So no, the new tax policies aren't the reasons for heavy transplant relo or in-state migration to NCs larger urban metros.

Most people relocating to mountains or coast are retirees, which is small compared to the Triangle and Charlotte) which are the state's economic drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina