Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,384 times

Advertisements

So I have started working in our NC office more over the past weeks and I do a lot of geographic research within my job. Being from SC and knowing only a little bit about NC, I have found that NC has a ton of counties sharing the same or similar names of cities that are not within the county.

Since I figured everyone here on the NC forum could use a break from talking about bathrooms, I wanted to list a few that I found:

Asheville is in not in Ashe County
Columbus is not in Columbus County
Rockingham is not in Rockingham County
Henderson is not in Henderson County
Greenville is not Greene County
Pittsboro is not in Pitt County
Yanceyville is not in Yancey County
Cherokee is not in Cherokee County
Jackson is not in Jackson County
Waynesville is not in Wayne County

I know this probably isn't new or interesting to anyone up here but I just kind of thought it was an interesting oddity, especially because most of these are on opposite ends of the state from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,983,968 times
A factoid about my home county of Bladen in SE NC

Originally, Bladen was a vast territory with indefinite northern and western boundaries. Reductions in its extent began in 1750, when its western part became Anson County. In 1752 the northern part of Bladen County was combined with parts of Granville County and Johnston County to form Orange County. In 1754 the northern part of what was left of Bladen County became Cumberland County. In 1764 the southern part of what remained of Bladen County was combined with part of New Hanover County to form Brunswick County. In 1787 the western part of the now much smaller county became Robeson County. Finally, in 1808 the southern part of Bladen County was combined with part of Brunswick County to form Columbus County. Bladen County is considered the "mother county" of North Carolina because of the 100 counties in North Carolina, 55 of them at one point belonged to Bladen County. It is also the fourth largest county in North Carolina.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:34 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,873,156 times
You missed a few.

Beaufort is not in Beaufort County
Hertford is not in Hertford County
Washington is not in Washington County

Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Cleveland isn't in Cleveland County.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,382,586 times
Franklin isn't in Franklin County
Asheboro (also) isn't in Ashe County
Lenoir isn't in Lenoir County
Greensboro (also) isn't in Greene County
Graham isn't in Graham County
Jacksonville (also) isn't in Jackson County
Vanceboro isn't in Vance County

I too find this really interesting! One of my favorite little quirks about NC, and there are so many of them! Guess there just aren't/weren't enough 'famous' or 'good' names to go around

One of my other favorite naming quirks is the "city/county" section of many, many small (and not-so-small) NC towns and cities. Seems like almost every one has a section (often in the older residential part near the 'downtown') where all the streets are named after other NC counties and/or cities. Probably leads to some interestingly addressed mail!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,633,359 times
This thread discusses the same subject

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,500,229 times
Lenoir isn't in Lenoir Country

Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,543,215 times
Leaksville, Spray and Draper are now Eden, should have been LSD.

There is an Albemarle Sound but no Albermarle County. It is in VA.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,543,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Leaksville, Spray and Draper are now Eden, should have been LSD.

There is an Albemarle Sound but no Albermarle County. It is in VA.
And the town of Albemarle is in Stanly County, nowhere near the Albemarle Sound. Albemarle only has one "r" in it.

The town of Stanley (with an "e") is not in Stanly (without an "e") County.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,950,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Franklin isn't in Franklin County
Asheboro (also) isn't in Ashe County
Lenoir isn't in Lenoir County
Greensboro (also) isn't in Greene County
Graham isn't in Graham County
Jacksonville (also) isn't in Jackson County
Vanceboro isn't in Vance County

I too find this really interesting! One of my favorite little quirks about NC, and there are so many of them! Guess there just aren't/weren't enough 'famous' or 'good' names to go around

One of my other favorite naming quirks is the "city/county" section of many, many small (and not-so-small) NC towns and cities. Seems like almost every one has a section (often in the older residential part near the 'downtown') where all the streets are named after other NC counties and/or cities. Probably leads to some interestingly addressed mail!
We have those streets as well in a lot of SC cities. Florence, SC has a section named for all of the state's rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina