Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM

678 posts, read 800,264 times

Advertisements

One of my friend's parents late last year bought a nice, relatively new 3 bedroom/3bath condo in Wilmington, close to the beach. The purpose was to enjoy it in the off season and rent it out other times. I was invited to stay in it last weekend with them. Wilmington was very nice I thought. A nicer/smaller/lower key version of myrtle beach in my opinion. Enjoyed the veggie wagon and the lazy pirate. Anyway what I'm worried about is that they only have it rented out 2 times for the rest of the summer. Could this at all be due to the stupid HB2 law? Have any other rental owners noticed a drop in rental bookings for the summer, particularly in the beach areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
It's sickening to hear someone call Wilmington a "small myrtle beach"

I don't think Wilmington has much of a beach tourist reputation, also it's not at the beach

i see you mentioned this is their first season

is it possible your friend mis-judged the market? I.E. trying to rent to beach tourists in Wilm....a port city

Last edited by hey_guy; 05-11-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

I don't think Wilmington has much of a beach tourist reputation, also it's not at the beach

is it possible your friend mis-judged the market? I.E. trying to rent to beach tourists in Wilm....a port city
Are they confusing Carolina Beach with Wilmington?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM

678 posts, read 800,264 times
Yes sorry this was Carolina Beach. What I mean is myrtle beach tends to be overrun with teenagers etc., and other craziness and this was not like that.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
Zika

Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
One of my friend's parents late last year bought a nice, relatively new 3 bedroom/3bath condo in Wilmington, close to the beach. The purpose was to enjoy it in the off season and rent it out other times. Anyway what I'm worried about is that they only have it rented out 2 times for the rest of the summer. Could this at all be due to the stupid HB2 law? Have any other rental owners noticed a drop in rental bookings for the summer, particularly in the beach areas?
If this is the first summer they have rented it, they have no previous summers to compare it to.
Maybe their price is too high. Or maybe it's just too early to worry about it.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
If this is the first summer they have rented it, they have no previous summers to compare it to.
Maybe their price is too high. Or maybe it's just too early to worry about it.
That is what I was thinking too and other unknowns like marketing, the listing, pictures, amenities, details
As you pointed out if its new, reviews and search criteria but price, reviews, amenities, and friendly clauses things.

I know when I stay at Carolina Beach, Im very specific in my musts.
I doubt some local politics will influence tourism. If it does, great news for me as that means deals at the end of Summer

Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
What is the location? Most people want to be close to the beach or close to other attractions. If it's far from the water or far from Wilmington's downtown then I would think that's the problem.

Are they renting it through an agency or VRBO? If there's a place for you to leave a review doing that might really help. They might invite a few more friends down for weekends they don't get rented and ask them to write reviews. Good reviews really go a long way toward building some momentum for a place if the location and the price are right.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

More like a classy Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
One of my friend's parents late last year bought a nice, relatively new 3 bedroom/3bath condo in Wilmington, close to the beach. The purpose was to enjoy it in the off season and rent it out other times. I was invited to stay in it last weekend with them. Wilmington was very nice I thought. A nicer/smaller/lower key version of myrtle beach in my opinion. Enjoyed the veggie wagon and the lazy pirate. Anyway what I'm worried about is that they only have it rented out 2 times for the rest of the summer. Could this at all be due to the stupid HB2 law? Have any other rental owners noticed a drop in rental bookings for the summer, particularly in the beach areas?

People are going to vacation where they want...HB2 is sickening but it won't stop beach rentals. It must be something else. Is it overpriced or a poor location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina