Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 AM

764 posts, read 508,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have to ask...would the reason that need to use your skills to leverage a market and make some extra $$$ happen to be that you're a chemistry teacher who was recently diagnosed with cancer?
When I say, "when need and chemistry exists", "chemistry" in this case refers to connection with people, not the science subject.

Let's start from the beginning, I'm a technologist with 20 years experience of software design and development as well as an entrepreneur of an education/learning technology. As you know, Wilmington NC is not like Silicon Valley, receiving funding for this edtech in this area is like attempting to climb up to the sky... (So, why did I move to Wilmington about three years ago? Long story...) and we're not profitable yet... Hence, I intend to leave Wilmington. While relocating, I still need to make money to survive, that's all. As mentioned, I attempted to crowd-source some info, nothing wrong with that, if someone does not want to or unable to chip in, they don't have to be negative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
When I say, "when need and chemistry exists", "chemistry" in this case refers to connection with people, not the science subject.

Let's start from the beginning, I'm a technologist with 20 years experience of software design and development as well as an entrepreneur of an education/learning technology. As you know, Wilmington NC is not like Silicon Valley, receiving funding for this edtech in this area is like attempting to climb up to the sky... (So, why did I move to Wilmington about three years ago? Long story...) and we're not profitable yet... Hence, I intend to leave Wilmington. While relocating, I still need to make money to survive, that's all. As mentioned, I attempted to crowd-source some info, nothing wrong with that, if someone does not want to or unable to chip in, they don't have to be negative...
"Woosh"

Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 PM

If there's a sense of fairness in this world things would not have been made SO difficult!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yeah I'm sure residents of Avery County would be real gung-ho about scraping out one of the most famous and picturesque mountains in the state in the name of heavy mining industry. Mining towns tend to remain prosperous forever and have some of the healthiest drinking water and air quality around!

The new Grandfather Hole!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
I would think that almost every county has some point of interest...a historic event or structure or some kind of interesting geography like a lake/river/beach/mountain/etc. To say that most counties don't have anything interesting is just false. For instance, the least populated county in NC, Tyrell County, has the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge and is home to the endangered red wolf. It also has an antebellum former plantation called Somerset Place with a house built in 1830, Pettigrew State Park, and is part of the Inner Banks of NC.

I'm pretty sure that each county has something to this effect that is noteworthy.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Quote:
If there's a sense of fairness in this world things would not have been made SO difficult!
If you had been straightforward and posted your real question then you might have gotten the help you wanted.

Quote:
As it is, I still don't know what you're looking for, although this post was a start. Still pretty obfuscating, though, and I have no idea what specifically you are looking for. North Carolina has a lot of farm labor. You want to pick tomatoes? Slaughter chickens? There are lots of chicken processing plants.

I'm still going to direct you to read the Wikipedia page if you don't know any basic stuff about the state after living in Wilmington for 3 years.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you had been straightforward and posted your real question then you might have gotten the help you wanted.

As it is, I still don't know what you're looking for, although this post was a start. Still pretty obfuscating, though, and I have no idea what specifically you are looking for. North Carolina has a lot of farm labor. You want to pick tomatoes? Slaughter chickens? There are lots of chicken processing plants.

I'm still going to direct you to read the Wikipedia page if you don't know any basic stuff about the state after living in Wilmington for 3 years.
I totally agree. I still don't know, for sure, what he wants, but I'm pretty sure that there was an attempt to get information by misleading us. I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't really want to know about the counties, but was hoping that someone would drop a piece of useful information unknowingly.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:37 AM

Ok, the OP seems inaccurate for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for some mid-sized companies or organizations, particularly manufacturers, which are either profitable or otherwise financially well in NC, their tend to have a small IT staff and their sales team/VP usually wants more from their IT, many times their IT guys are short on meeting their sales/marketing team's needs/demands, I've done such a project for them before (but the venue that the manufacturer found me is not valid for me now), so, I can possibly talk to them to offer my IT expertise/service and sometimes meeting in person might help to increase trust etc...

There's another venue to get this type of company info, but data provided by that source (a NC state department) is not accurate at all. Btw, I've identified two key problems for them, and proposed to fix them for cheap but yesterday they told me they'll create a new application for it... What a waste of money! My fix would be from several hundreds of dollars to low thousand and fast solution vs. their system/application, which I suspect would cost at least 50k...

There was another reason for the OP for identification of unique attribute of localities because other than IT I have other attributes that might be useful in adding value to particular locality/localities but I'll skip that for now.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Ok, the OP seems inaccurate for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for some mid-sized companies or organizations, particularly manufacturers, which are either profitable or otherwise financially well in NC, their tend to have a small IT staff and their sales team/VP usually wants more from their IT, many times their IT guys are short on meeting their sales/marketing team's needs/demands, I've done such a project for them before (but the venue that the manufacturer found me is not valid for me now), so, I can possibly talk to them to offer my IT expertise/service and sometimes meeting in person might help to increase trust etc...

There's another venue to get this type of company info, but data provided by that source (a NC state department) is not accurate at all. Btw, I've identified two key problems for them, and proposed to fix them for cheap but yesterday they told me they'll create a new application for it... What a waste of money! My fix would be from several hundreds of dollars to low thousand and fast solution vs. their system/application, which I suspect would cost at least 50k...

There was another reason for the OP for identification of unique attribute of localities because other than IT I have other attributes that might be useful in adding value to particular locality/localities but I'll skip that for now.
Are data centers of interest to you?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 AM

@southbound_295, do you mean to do some consulting work for them or get data I'm looking for from them? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina