Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:46 PM

28 posts, read 24,568 times

Advertisements

Relocating from VA to NC. My fiancé and our 2 boys. (1&2) We are looking for a safe city/neighborhood. So far we like Concord but we are interested in something closer if possible. Something a minimum 1 hour from VA and maximum 4 hours. I know concord is a bit further so we don't want to go past that area. He will be getting his Security license in NC so a job isn't a huge problem. I am currently a CNA and I'm also looking for a school I can finish to get my RN associates and so on up to masters. With kids we need a good area for day care and school. Area that has things to do. Looking to rent up to $1000 mnth. Also any input on prices for utilities would be nice. Is their any other areas anyone would recommend. Prefer to me into a 2 or 3bdrm house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker2 View Post
..... So far we like Concord but we are interested in something closer if possible. Something a minimum 1 hour from VA and maximum 4 hours. ... I am currently a CNA and I'm also looking for a school I can finish to get my RN associates and so on up to masters.
I am not sure where in Virginia you need to visit, but you might also look at the northern suburbs of Charlotte along I-77: Cornelius, Mooresville or Davidson. Kannapolis is also along I-85 and has house to rent in your budget.

The UNC Charlotte has a nursing school and offers a Master's program. Note, however, that you need to be a resident of the state of a full year before you qualify for in-state tuition. There are many community colleges where you could finish the Associate degree.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-02-2016 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Thank you I looked at most of the areas you named and I liked them I was just wondering if there was any cities within my needs closer to VA the Hampton Roads area that's where our family is. We don't mind moving to Concord we just wanted to see if there was something a little closer before we officially took off.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you I looked at most of the areas you named and I liked them I was just wondering if there was any cities within my needs closer to VA the Hampton Roads area that's where our family is. We don't mind moving to Concord we just wanted to see if there was something a little closer before we officially took off.
I wish you had specified where in Virginia you wanted to visit. Wake Forest in the northern Raleigh suburbs is certainly closer to Hampton Roads than the Charlotte area is. You would have access to nursing schools in the Triangle.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

I originally looked into Charlotte because my cousin moved there so she basically gave me the info on where to look down there but as far as anywhere else I'm clueless. My fiancé wasn't to happy on the idea of moving our kids to Raleigh he didn't feel it was safe enough. Is there areas in Raleigh/triangle that are more safer? If so could you be specific on where to visit and where to avoid. Is the renting/utilities about the same as Charlotte? What is the difference as far as living cost safety school ect between the two? Is one better than the other in your opinion? Also if you know any links I could get more info on as far as nice places to check out could you include them.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
My fiancé wasn't to happy on the idea of moving our kids to Raleigh he didn't feel it was safe enough. Is there areas in Raleigh/triangle that are more safer? If so could you be specific on where to visit and where to avoid. Is the renting/utilities about the same as Charlotte? What is the difference as far as living cost safety school ect between the two? Is one better than the other in your opinion? Also if you know any links I could get more info on as far as nice places to check out could you include them.
The idea that Raleigh is not safe is nonsense. Thousands of families are moving into the Triangle every week because it is considered so family-friendly. I just picked Wake Forest because it is on the northern edge of Wake County and would give you proximity to Hampton Roads. Wake Forest is a very nice, safe suburb. Try looking in the C-D profile, which show a crime rate about half the national average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Wake-F...-Carolina.html

Other areas in the Triangle that are very safe (and desirable) are Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc. However, your limited budget may make it harder to find a house. The few areas you might avoid are southeast Durham and southeast Raleigh. (There are other cities in Eastern NC that you definitely should avoid: Rocky Mount and Henderson among them.)

Please look through the sticky called Triangle Relocation Index if you are interested. https://www.city-data.com/city/Wake-F...-Carolina.html

BTW, the housing costs in Concord versus Wake Forest may be slightly lower, but you would waste the savings in gasoline when you drive back to Hampton Roads from Concord. There are many cost of living sites that you can use to compare cities in detail: Google "cost of living comparison" for examples.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:53 AM

OK thanks I can say my fiancé is very picky when it comes to the kids I may need to visit and get a feel for Raleigh myself I'm not familiar with it but thanks for links I will be looking into them.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
OK thanks I can say my fiancé is very picky when it comes to the kids I may need to visit and get a feel for Raleigh myself I'm not familiar with it but thanks for links I will be looking into them.
If you need more information, one source (Sperlings) says Wake Forest is safer than Concord. Wake Forest has crime rates lower than the national average, while Concord is higher than the national average on both violent and property crime.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Wake Forest has a bit more expensive housing, but you might also look into further-out suburbs like Rolesville, Zebulon and Knightdale. They would be about a 2.5-hour drive to Norfolk, VA.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 12:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,866,072 times
Quote:
What is it about Concord that you like--the more specific things you mention, the more we can give alternatives?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Price range, we road around for a weekend and for the most part we like the area seems decent except for a few parts which I believe was the downtown area and I read up here that area we should avoid the houses look nice I found a school I was interested in that would take my transferred credits called a few day cares like what I heard but hadn't actually visited it yet....these are all the things I'm looking for jobs are not a huge issue because I'm a CNA and I'm currently trying to get my license in NC but that line of work is pretty much everywhere...my fiancé is doing part of the security guard training this weekend and they will give him a list of places hiring so we are not to concerned and if that fails he has previous history in landscaping warehouse retail so I'm sure him finding a job won't be a big probably either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina