Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM

49 posts, read 214,272 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been near this very small town in N.C. called Harrellsville? The US census from 2000 shows that this town had only 102 people living in it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has either been to that area or anywhere near this small town and can tell me what it is like?

I have recently discovered that the town was named after my Grandmother's great great great great Grandfather Abner Harrell who was the Postmaster there from 1833 to 1861. They named the town after him and from what I see on Whitepages.com there are still many Harrells living in that town. Probably most of the town since it is so small.

One of my father's cousins did a pretty good geneology on the Harrell name and he found all this information and compiled it in this webpage..
Harrellsville, NC

and this webpage..
index

So, I'm very interested in maybe visiting this small little town that seems to be in the middle of nowhere and was wondering if anyone has even been there or heard of this little place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM

25 posts, read 127,048 times
Default Harrellsville

Been there many times. I go fishing over there. There is a boat launch into the Wiccacon River (a BEAUTIFUL meandering river) that's right in Harrellsville. It's a popular boat launch spot for those of us with smaller boats. From what I know of the town, it is very quiet. It is a quaint little town but not much there. In fact, I don't recollect even seeing a stoplight in the town. There might be one if that many.

That's very neat about your family history connection to the town. You should visit. I live about an hour east of there but some of my most relaxing moments have been spent floating down the winding, scenic Wiccacon River in Harrellsville.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

49 posts, read 214,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NENC View Post
Been there many times. I go fishing over there. There is a boat launch into the Wiccacon River (a BEAUTIFUL meandering river) that's right in Harrellsville. It's a popular boat launch spot for those of us with smaller boats. From what I know of the town, it is very quiet. It is a quaint little town but not much there. In fact, I don't recollect even seeing a stoplight in the town. There might be one if that many.

That's very neat about your family history connection to the town. You should visit. I live about an hour east of there but some of my most relaxing moments have been spent floating down the winding, scenic Wiccacon River in Harrellsville.
Thank you so much for replying,, I thought it was kind of neat as well when I found out about the family history. My Grandmother Henrietta Harrell was born in Pennsylvania and somehow ended up in Chicago. So most of our family is all from the Chicago area. It would be a fun trip to go out and visit Harrellsville as I have always wanted to spend time in a very small town. I am definately going to make a road trip one day soon, maybe this summer and drive on down to N.C. and visit Harrellsville.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,520,520 times
Harrellsville is indeed very small but haven't been there in years. I remember lots of tall trees and a quaint feel to the town though.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 34,422 times
If you're just going to visit, I hope you have a great time. However if you're considering residing there at all, you can read on here...

I found by reading that Hertford is rather unsafe to live according to this site which I find handy in checking small towns (may be due in part to not enough authority minding a major drug port):

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I also heard from this CD forum that you'll be better off financial if you stay off Elizabeth City's utilities if you have not read that.

I did not notice your thread, and I started one under NC coastal cities tab named "got crime rates for HOBBSVILLE, HARRELLSVILLE, COLERAIN, ROPER?" because these appear to be SAFE CITIES THAT SURROUND Hertford in the Neighborhood Scout site. I thought to mention this thread to you in case a reply goes there which you may find helpful.

Good luck & best wishes,
-L

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
I have been through it in years past, and have family from there and buried there as well. Please feel free to write me back at [email]Bowdoin514911@aol.com[/email]. I am having much tyrouble finding informatioln about the Methodist church there. Thank you. Emma J. Dalrymple

Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,344 times
I live in Harrellsville NC I've lived there for 16 years well since I'm only 16 years old. I stay on Quebec Rd. Harrellsville is an okay place its very quiet the only bad thing is that there only like two stores there's a Red Apple and another store across from it that serves food so if you really want to go shopping you would have to take a thirty minute drive to Ahoskie NC its a waste of gas actually. We also have a post office and a bank which I'm pretty sure is not even open anymore. If you were to go down the road where the Red Apple is there a lake where people go fishing me and my dad have been out there a couple of times and caught white perch and red herring. Also there's a lot of land and abandoned land an me and my dad take the four wheeler and go out and explore in the back woods its pretty fun. My dad has been there all his life as well he's now 67 an he goes hunting an shoot deer's, rabbits, squirrels and sometime bear. Hopefully one day you will if you haven't already visit Harrellsville and my dad could tell you more about it than I can.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmtt View Post
Has anyone been near this very small town in N.C. called Harrellsville? The US census from 2000 shows that this town had only 102 people living in it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has either been to that area or anywhere near this small town and can tell me what it is like?

I have recently discovered that the town was named after my Grandmother's great great great great Grandfather Abner Harrell who was the Postmaster there from 1833 to 1861. They named the town after him and from what I see on Whitepages.com there are still many Harrells living in that town. Probably most of the town since it is so small.

One of my father's cousins did a pretty good geneology on the Harrell name and he found all this information and compiled it in this webpage..
Harrellsville, NC

and this webpage..
index

So, I'm very interested in maybe visiting this small little town that seems to be in the middle of nowhere and was wondering if anyone has even been there or heard of this little place.
My grandparents and great-grandparents were Cottons of Cotton's Island Farm near Harrellsville, so yes, I've spent time in and around Harrellsville all my life, and my parents, grandparents and other relatives are buried in Harrellsville Cemetery. My Mom, Jean Cotton Corey, graduated with a class of 17 from Harrellsville H.S. in 1944. She and my Dad had a little getaway on the Chowan River (Chowanoke Shores) near Harrellsville in the 1970-80's. I don't believe there are many Harrells left in town now. If you didn't farm, fish or hunt, this wasn't someplace you'd have enjoyed living, but the people were always warm and welcoming.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times
Hi all, I'm working with a UNC project concerning health access throughout Hertford County. I've traveled a bit in Hertford, but have yet to reach Harrellsville. I've heard its very beautiful. However, I have also heard it referred to as a food desert. Could anyone elaborate on any social/health/public services and resources within Harrellsville? I'm most interested in medical/health, nutritional and exercise/recreational services and resources.

Thanks and kind regards.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
Talking Harrellsville, North Carolina, Hertford, anyone been there?

My Mother was born in Harrellsville, in 1913. Although I spent my 15th summer in Ahoskie, (1949)on my Great Aunt's Tobacco farm....No one even mentioned the place called Harrellsville. I got the opportunity to revisit Hertford County; and, because I had put an ad on the Hertford County message board online, a lady answered my query, and was gracious enough to meet me where Harrellville begins at the crossroads on the (at the time)only store, actually at the rear of the old plantation "big" house. There was a windy county road that meandered through the trees that form distance between Ahoskie and Harrellsville.
I saw the Wicckiecon River, and my mind remembered that my mother told me that was where she learned to fish. There were only 5 homes , right at the crossroads. And stretching out before me was some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen.
On the road just before the store, there is a tiny little building, I believe it is called Harrellsville, Township.
In the window at the front, it is apparent that there is a lot of "paper" in the Township. Paper is being stored against the window. I want very much to be able to look in that building. I want to find out if Abner Harrell, or Hillary Hunter Taylor (the man who owned the store, after emancipation), if either of them had any photos of the ex-slaves who still lived there in 1900, per the census. In 1900 my Grandmother was 10 years of age. Amazingly, there is an Allen Harrell, aged 107.....He is listed as the Father in the house.....And 9 people are listed there together.... I have cousins that I visited in Ahoskie, in 2007, 2009, 2011, and each time, I always make someone drive me to Harrellsville....There's never anyone in the Township Building.
If I ever get the chance to get to Harrellsville again...I'm going to find the cemetery....Maybe there is some record of the grave of Allen Harrell, although a slave, perhaps there's some record of him at his grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina