Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

I wander how many transplants Pat McCrory is scaring away, not to mention him wanting younger North Carolinians to leave and many of us probably will. I'm probably going to end up in VA, a state that is actually moving forward.

NC was actually one of the better southern states during the 50's and 60's, unlike Mississippi or Alabama. Believe it or not, historically we're the "progressive southern state" or at least that's what we've always said. The mess going on right now isn't very typical for NC, but we have to remember past figures like Jesse Helms. NC definitely thinks it's more liberal than it really is, let's be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 05:22 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
I would do a lot of unspeakable things before I moved to NOVA

Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 PM

599 posts, read 401,313 times
I expect Roy Cooper to become our new governor one because Pat McCrory is very very unpopular and the fact that Cooper is from Eastern North Carolina in which always seems to decide who becomes the state governor.

The legislature will most definitely remain in Republican hands probably creating gridlock and passing very few bills and overriding a ton of vetoes.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 AM

398 posts, read 497,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I expect Roy Cooper to become our new governor one because Pat McCrory is very very unpopular and the fact that Cooper is from Eastern North Carolina in which always seems to decide who becomes the state governor.

The legislature will most definitely remain in Republican hands probably creating gridlock and passing very few bills and overriding a ton of vetoes.
If the general assembly overrides a veto, the bill passes.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post

I think McCrory is still pretty popular in the rural, conservative areas, where most conservatives see him as a hero for signing HB2. The metro areas and cities like Charlotte, Asheville, the Triad and Triangle...yeah, he's #1 on their $hit-list. I'll be surprised if McCrory wins any of those places in November. I'll be even more surprised if McCrory gets re-elected. I wouldn't place bets on eastern NC going for Cooper, though. Eastern NC is as red as they come.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
West of Durham is much more conservative, Piedmont counties like Randolph, Davidson, and Yadkin. Go even further west and it's still more conservative than eastern NC. Western NC is Bible Belt central, with Billy Graham still residing right outside Asheville and Franklin Graham up in Boone. Charlotte and Winston-Salem are the most religious cities in the state, and so on. Eastern NC isn't that conservative, plus it has a higher black population so some eastern NC counties go democrat.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Eastern NC isn't that conservative, plus it has a higher black population so some eastern NC counties go democrat.
Crap, you're right. The demographics slipped my mind. I'm from eastern NC, so I should've known better.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:23 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Crap, you're right. The demographics slipped my mind. I'm from eastern NC, so I should've known better.
Actually, many of the counties in northeast North Carolina are blue counties. This has a lot to do with the fact that there is a large population of Black Americans that live there, along with many old school Blue Dog Democrats. Funny enough, many of these counties never voted for McCrory in 2008 nor 2012. Some of the counties in lower eastern North Carolina are red counties, but I can see Cooper having a strong appeal there. If he wins all the counties Predue won in 2008, and runs the margin down in some of the red counties, he could easily win. However, let's not forget that this is also a presidential year, and downticket races are strongly impacted by who's running. This is a very unpredictable race, and I don't know what to expect with Trump and/or Clinton at the top of the ticket. We'll have to wait until at least October to see where this election is headed.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Actually, many of the counties in northeast North Carolina are blue counties. This has a lot to do with the fact that there is a large population of Black Americans that live there, along with many old school Blue Dog Democrats. Funny enough, many of these counties never voted for McCrory in 2008 nor 2012. Some of the counties in lower eastern North Carolina are red counties, but I can see Cooper having a strong appeal there. If he wins all the counties Predue won in 2008, and runs the margin down in some of the red counties, he could easily win. However, let's not forget that this is also a presidential year, and downticket races are strongly impacted by who's running. This is a very unpredictable race, and I don't know what to expect with Trump and/or Clinton at the top of the ticket. We'll have to wait until at least October to see where this election is headed.
Do you mean "Yellow Dog Democrats?" That's the term I always heard growing up, long before I ever heard of "red" and "blue" describing the parties.

Yellow Dog Democrats was a political term applied to voters in the Southern United States who voted solely for candidates who represented the Democratic Party. The term originated in the late 19th century. These voters would allegedly "vote for a yellow dog before they would vote for any Republican".(according to Wikipedia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina