Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 PM

233 posts, read 243,452 times

Advertisements

I think people saying Fayetteville is boring then what are you going to expect from these small surrounding towns people keep suggesting? Seriously who wants to live in these small towns outside of Fayetteville besides Pinehurts, Sanford and Southern Pines. Come on really? Fayetteville is much better than it was just 7 years ago. Trust me you will be fine. Plus all the phony complaining is from people who haven't been here in a long time. To be honest most of these people whining are just military home sick crybabies more than half of them come from smaller crappier towns. Seriously one of my soldier a while back tried to tell me that his little small town hidden in Oregon was better than Fayetteville.... Seriously this forum is flooded with homesick, and lames from everywhere else but Fayetteville.

You want to hunt Buck/Turkey till your weapons jam..... Travel to Hoke County

You want to Canoe and explore natural diversity region.... Cape Fear River

You want Sports Bars.... We got plenty

You want entertainment, Live shows, minor league sports..... Crown Coliseum, Festival Park Amphitheater, Carolina Regional Theater, Fayetteville Tech Community College free live shows (eat cheeses & drink wine start networking$$$$)

You want local Collegiate Sports.... Fayetteville State University, Methodist College, UNC Pembroke, and Campbell University (all within and less than 30 mins from Fayetteville)

You want good eats.... Skibo rd, Downtown Hay St., Downtown Person St., ( We also have the basic food chains)

You want Shopping..... Cross Creek Mall (no its not the best but its pretty much the standard for any metro under 400k)

You want community events.... Dogwood festival, International folks festival, Cape Fear Fair which is a fair cater to the whole region, Cumberland County Fair, Fort Bragg Octoberfest, Fort Bragg Fair, Fort Bragg Airborne Weekend, Fort Bragg 4 of July fireworks (Nobody in the state does it better than Bragg trust me), Fayetteville Duck Derby (People from all over the state come to this event its for a good cause)

We even have a decent local music Scene for our size

Parks and play areas for kids..... 17 recreational parks, 3 local Swimming pools not including apartment pools, tons of gyms, Botanical Gardens, Monkey Joes (kids can bounce all day long), Chucky Cheese, and another I can't remember.

We even have a Korea plaza, West African & Caribbean Plaza (its new)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
I think people saying Fayetteville is boring then what are you going to expect from these small surrounding towns people keep suggesting? Seriously who wants to live in these small towns outside of Fayetteville besides Pinehurts, Sanford and Southern Pines. Come on really? Fayetteville is much better than it was just 7 years ago. Trust me you will be fine. Plus all the phony complaining is from people who haven't been here in a long time. To be honest most of these people whining are just military home sick crybabies more than half of them come from smaller crappier towns. Seriously one of my soldier a while back tried to tell me that his little small town hidden in Oregon was better than Fayetteville.... Seriously this forum is flooded with homesick, and lames from everywhere else but Fayetteville.

You want entertainment, Live shows, minor league sports..... Crown Coliseum, Festival Park Amphitheater, Carolina Regional Theater, Fayetteville Tech Community College free live shows (eat cheeses & drink wine start networking$$$$)

You want local Collegiate Sports.... Fayetteville State University, Methodist College, UNC Pembroke, and Campbell University (all within and less than 30 mins from Fayetteville)

You want good eats.... Skibo rd, Downtown Hay St., Downtown Person St., ( We also have the basic food chains)

You want Shopping..... Cross Creek Mall (no its not the best but its pretty much the standard for any metro under 400k)

You want community events.... Dogwood festival, International folks festival, Cape Fear Fair which is a fair cater to the whole region, Cumberland County Fair, Fort Bragg Octoberfest, Fort Bragg Fair, Fort Bragg Airborne Weekend, Fort Bragg 4 of July fireworks (Nobody in the state does it better than Bragg trust me), Fayetteville Duck Derby (People from all over the state come to this event its for a good cause)

Parks and play areas for kids..... 17 recreational parks, 3 local Swimming pools not including apartment pools, tons of gyms, Botanical Gardens, Monkey Joes (kids can bounce all day long), Chucky Cheese, and another I can't remember.

This is exactly why I said they(OP) should just move to Fayetteville, because there isn't sh** to do in the areas surrounding it, and at least Fayetteville does have things that will surprise most people that bash it. And that the city isn't no where near as bad as people claim it is.

Fayetteville will forever be known as Fayettenam, talking to people who were alive when it got the nick name know that Fayetteville now is no where near what it was then, but a lot of people (a lot of older folk) just won't let it go, when I tell people that I'm from Fayetteville they say, "oh I'm so sorry" I just laugh at how ridiculous people are, because I know they never been but just watch the news and let that be their only experience.

I think especially with a lot of people who are not from Fayetteville who are there because of the military, Fayetteville's lay out is a issue. Fayetteville is the 6th largest city, but it feels way larger then that driving around and getting to one point to another, for example downtown is and other locations are pretty good drive. And you have a lot of people including natives that just are out of the loop. Fayetteville actually has some pretty good festivals, heck last time I was in town(same day of the J. Cole concert) there was a free hip hop/gospel hop/rnb concert in Festival Park. But when I was talking to people nobody knew about it. So when there actually are some pretty cool things happening you have a bunch of people missing it.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:46 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
This is exactly why I said they(OP) should just move to Fayetteville, because there isn't sh** to do in the areas surrounding it, and at least Fayetteville does have things that will surprise most people that bash it. And that the city isn't no where near as bad as people claim it is.

Fayetteville will forever be known as Fayettenam, talking to people who were alive when it got the nick name know that Fayetteville now is no where near what it was then, but a lot of people (a lot of older folk) just won't let it go, when I tell people that I'm from Fayetteville they say, "oh I'm so sorry" I just laugh at how ridiculous people are, because I know they never been but just watch the news and let that be their only experience.

I think especially with a lot of people who are not from Fayetteville who are there because of the military, Fayetteville's lay out is a issue. Fayetteville is the 6th largest city, but it feels way larger then that driving around and getting to one point to another, for example downtown is and other locations are pretty good drive. And you have a lot of people including natives that just are out of the loop. Fayetteville actually has some pretty good festivals, heck last time I was in town(same day of the J. Cole concert) there was a free hip hop/gospel hop/rnb concert in Festival Park. But when I was talking to people nobody knew about it. So when there actually are some pretty cool things happening you have a bunch of people missing it.
They knew about it but just didn't want to get shot. No disrespect to J Cole.I actually really like his stuff but the words "free","hip hop" and "Fayetteville" sounds like a bad combination and things are likely to "pop off".

Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM

233 posts, read 243,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post

Some people don't even know these attraction are within Fayetteville Metro but their lame a$$es always complaining.

Fayetteville, NC

Elizabethtown, NC

Imax

Paraclete XP

Last edited by Mr.910nc; 09-17-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:

Whoa man, lets not get carries away here. My "phony complaining" is pretty real, I moved out of Fayetteville in October 2014 but go back to visit my ex-girlfriend and her kids regularly. I'm certainly not a "home sick crybaby", as I can't be homesick - I have no home. I'm 24 and have never lived in a state for more than 4 years. I moved to NC from little Cabot Arkansas (30k people) which was at least safe and not nearly as rundown/ugly. No strip clubs, 1 pawn shop. I would easily, easily move back to Cabot before I would Fayetteville....no question about it.

-You can hunt from anywhere especially if you;re traveling to a different county
-You can canoe in any of the many rivers in NC, nothing special about Cape Fear (other than maybe a body or 2 floating around)
-So does every other city
-Crown does get some decent shows (Elton John, Jay-Z/J. Cole, etc), Festival Park has a few things a year, not lieky ou can go there regularly. Cape Fear Regional Theater is nice.
-These "collegiate sports" are mediocre and draw very little attendees
-There are some good restaurants, but most of the eateries are just national chains
-Mall is meh
-Lol local music scene in Fayetteville? Where?
-Everywhere has those
-FTCC is a relatively decent college

My point is everything you listed you can also get (but better/more) in other cities in NC. Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, Asheville, Chapel Hill, all 1000x better than Fayetteville with everything you listed. I mean, Detroit and Camden have everything you lsited but does that make them desirable cities? No. Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

My problem with Fayetteville Mr.910, is there is just nothing in that city that I or many, many people would want. It's got no major company HQ's, no office towers, no tech industry. Job market is terrible unless you're a lawyer/paralegal, doctor or nurse. Though I know there's an abundance of nurses there too (I went to FTCC and they all complained about it). Another problem is it IS dangerous, even though many in this thread try to minimize the danger. yes this crime stuff does happen in places like Raleigh or Durham or Charlotte.. but not as often, and those cities have much larger populations with the crime usually happening in the same general bad neighborhoods. Unfortunately for Fayetteville, the whole city is seedy except downtown. Fayetteville also has the most strip clubs in the state except for Charlotte, which has 1 more than Fay...yet Charlotte's population is 800,000 compared to Fayetteville's 200,000.

Real fun place!

Last edited by LordHelmit; 09-17-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
They knew about it but just didn't want to get shot. No disrespect to J Cole.I actually really like his stuff but the words "free","hip hop" and "Fayetteville" sounds like a bad combination and things are likely to "pop off".
LMAO there wasn't even a fight and it was family friendly, there are cities with real crime, Fayetteville is only scary to people who don't get out much.

I'm not going to say Fayetteville doesn't have issues, it just isn't that place where you might just randomly get shot at, most violent crime in any city happens between people that are at least familiar with each other, even if the familiarity isn't friendly.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Another problem is it IS dangerous, even though many in this thread try to minimize the danger. yes this crime stuff does happen in places like Raleigh or Durham or Charlotte.. but not as often, and those cities have much larger populations with the crime usually happening in the same general bad neighborhoods. Unfortunately for Fayetteville, the whole city is seedy except downtown
Man I know this wasn't addressed to me, but the whole city is not dangerous or seedy, everything is not happening all over, you guys are majorly exaggerating it's definitely not anybody not admitting are minimize the danger.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In this link it shows a crime map, showing large chunks of safe areas, it also shows that all the areas where the crime is happening are all near each other.

Putting this in perspective a list of the 10 most dangerous cities in NC

These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In North Carolina - RoadSnacks

In regards to local music scene: not big but it exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THl9tpS9Zq0

Attached Thumbnails
Advise about Moving to Fayetteville NC-fayetteville-nc-crime-rates-statistics-neighborhoodscout  

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Some people don't even know these attraction are within Fayetteville Metro but their lame a$$es always complaining.

Fayetteville, NC

Elizabethtown, NC

Imax

Paraclete XP
I think the only other place in NC that has indoor sky diving is Asheville

Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Honestly, rent before you make the decision to buy. If you do buy, make sure its in a very good school district, has an HOA and also in a highly desired neighborhood. We finally sold our house after it was on the market for 9 months. Because of the crappy appraisers we lost our tail on it.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
You were lucky. Our house in Fayetteville was on the market for a year and a half before we sold it. It *was* in a good school district, and it had an HOA...it was in one of the (IMO) 3 nicest neighborhoods in Fayetteville.

Nothing could get me to move back there. When people ask where we moved here from and we say "Fayetteville NC," EVERY RESPONSE to us - and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE - has been NEGATIVE about that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina