Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 659 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some insight to a good place to relocate in NC.. I have several questions if anyone can shed some light. I live in Miami Fl and my husband and I are looking to relocate by next year. we are in our 40's we like outdoors things and dining out and movies. so I don't need night life. I would prefer outskirts of city and commute if not too far.
1. Area that has more jobs available.
2. Quite pleasing area.
3. Taxes/state local car. (FL does not have state tax, nor auto tax on renewal)
4. Insurance: Auto, home, etc.
5. Utilities: averages.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,394,589 times
If you're planning on moving without a job, don't.

1. Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area have the best job markets.
2. Don't know what that means.
3. NC has a state income tax, annual property tax on vehicles and a one time 3% tax on vehicles when you title them.
4. Impossible for me to answer that, too many variables.
5. Same as 4. Duke Power is the primary electricity provider in the state, although there are many others. Duke's price is about 9.5 cents per kwh.

My suggestion is you come spend a few days visiting NC to see if its somewhere you'd be interested in living. Its a large, diverse state.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,114,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2463 View Post
3. Taxes/state local car. (FL does not have state tax, nor auto tax on renewal)
4. Insurance: Auto, home, etc.
5. Utilities: averages.
Because there are so many variables associated with exactly where you would live in the state and what you could earn, I suggest using some cost of living calculators to compare your current city with Raleigh or Charlotte.

My favorite COL allows you to enter your expected income and two cities. Then it allows you to break it down by category. It says the generally Raleigh is 15% less expensive than Maimi, and that housing is 26% less. However, that is skewed by beachfront housing, and if you live in an average Miami area, Raleigh is more comparable.

Given your income picture, you might find Raleigh is more expensive because we have a state income tax. Utilities are not cheap. We have a large house, and paid $330 in electricity for one month last winter. Our highest summer electric bill is $238, and I think the KWH cost is about the same as Duke Power. If we had a sewer conntion, it would be $62.50/month regardless of use.

You can also search the forum of the first-time highway use tax. It is 3% of the present value of your car. The ongoing property tax on cars is more like 1%.

BTW, many visitors to Charlotte comment on how clean and new it looks. Is that what you mean by "pleasing"?

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-28-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,856,825 times
A previous poster has put together this list of things you should mention when asking "blindly" where to live in NC, which is impossible for anyone to answer without knowing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina