Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,786,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenlife7 View Post
Nothing less than $400 with less than 2 weeks notice. If you find any please by all means let me know. thanks CaliBoy and all that has helped on my "Project move to NC".
Where are you coming from, and where do you want to land? How long of a stay, and when do you want to leave? How many? I'll check around. I'm known to shop very well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM

116 posts, read 446,726 times
Zen,
Your plan sound great. If you have not already bought your airline tickets, I would have to agree with the other posters and say, make a longer trip! Our first trip out was five days (really three as we lost two day just in travel). The time flew by and we were just checking out one area. We are now taking another trip for 9 days.
Our overwhelming impression of NC was, wonderful people, slower life, and great place to finish raising our family. Wish we had done it sooner. I think that it is great that you are trying to find a better life for your family. If we think it is hard for us image what it will be like for our kids. Best wishes to you, have wonderful trip!
~Duke101

Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 AM

105 posts, read 295,806 times
CaliBoy I just got hooked up on a few buddy passes from a friend of mine. I wish I can stay longer but I can't maybe next time around maybe in FEB or March, how's the weather then? I will be traveling from Los Angeles California. You guys know how funny or strange this may sound but this is how it all started you guys tell me what you think.
I came about this site a few months ago. One day at work, I got to thinking there's got to be a place out there that I can afford to raise a family and own a home with the husband's or wife paycheck. So I went to yahoo and search "best place to live in America and best place to raise a family" and it shows a post from city-data.com. One thing that caught my attention was the number of post and activity in the NC section than any other state. I was like, what is so special out there. I read a few post and months went by, mentioned to my wife a few times and still didn't think anything too seriously. Come on it across the country LOL. Just this last weekend I went to a wedding and met a couple who happens to know my parents and got to ask them where the live now, they had move to Charlotte 2 years ago. They couldn't stop talking about it, good stuff. I mention that I read something about it and they told us to really consider NC a new home. The one major thing which is the cost of homes out there. I am sold on the homes issue but not on the jobs issue or business opportunities. Which leads me to remember when I was growing up my dad worked and mom was a housewife, not that how is suppose to be or anything but you know what I mean. If both work and have decent jobs, one pay check pays all the bills and one to goes to personal savings or spending. Example 2 weeks ago along time friend stops by and we got to talking about how high things are in California. He also has two small kids. He and his wife's combine income is $140K, I ask him, how much does he save a month, and I think you know what the answer is, NOTHING, not even a few hundred. My big quesion is, if my family moves out there and can make around $100k a year how will our lifestyle be or how good can it be, where can I afford to stay? I keep hearing that NC has all these different taxes, the only thing is higher from what I've read is the water bill and light bill. Thanks for reading this and please tell me what you think. Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,177,181 times
I think that you could live very well here on $100,000 income. Your salary will likely be less here, but again there is a big difference in cost especially on the real estate side. Best of luck to you

Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 AM

889 posts, read 3,121,388 times
Quote:
CaliBoy I just got hooked up on a few buddy passes from a friend of mine. I wish I can stay longer but I can't maybe next time around maybe in FEB or March, how's the weather then? I will be traveling from Los Angeles California. You guys know how funny or strange this may sound but this is how it all started you guys tell me what you think.
I came about this site a few months ago. One day at work, I got to thinking there's got to be a place out there that I can afford to raise a family and own a home with the husband's or wife paycheck. So I went to yahoo and search "best place to live in America and best place to raise a family" and it shows a post from city-data.com. One thing that caught my attention was the number of post and activity in the NC section than any other state. I was like, what is so special out there. I read a few post and months went by, mentioned to my wife a few times and still didn't think anything too seriously. Come on it across the country LOL. Just this last weekend I went to a wedding and met a couple who happens to know my parents and got to ask them where the live now, they had move to Charlotte 2 years ago. They couldn't stop talking about it, good stuff. I mention that I read something about it and they told us to really consider NC a new home. The one major thing which is the cost of homes out there. I am sold on the homes issue but not on the jobs issue or business opportunities. Which leads me to remember when I was growing up my dad worked and mom was a housewife, not that how is suppose to be or anything but you know what I mean. If both work and have decent jobs, one pay check pays all the bills and one to goes to personal savings or spending. Example 2 weeks ago along time friend stops by and we got to talking about how high things are in California. He also has two small kids. He and his wife's combine income is $140K, I ask him, how much does he save a month, and I think you know what the answer is, NOTHING, not even a few hundred. My big quesion is, if my family moves out there and can make around $100k a year how will our lifestyle be or how good can it be, where can I afford to stay? I keep hearing that NC has all these different taxes, the only thing is higher from what I've read is the water bill and light bill. Thanks for reading this and please tell me what you think. Thanks again.
I think it all depends on your house payment. Dont get caught up in some huge home priced at $700k just because it sounds "cheap" compared to Calif.
We very soon are moving into a brand new 2,400 sq.ft. 3/4 of an acre for around $300k. Much, much better than Calif!!! I think at $100k a year there is no reason whay you cant do well on that income in N.C.
I dont know where you have read that water and electric is more. Where i am at here with Duke Power its cheaper than what we had in Calif. In Calif. we had PG&E. My electric was pushing $300 per month for 1,350 sq.ft home with the heater hardly ever on!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 07:58 AM

127 posts, read 600,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I dont know where you have read that water and electric is more. Where i am at here with Duke Power its cheaper than what we had in Calif. In Calif. we had PG&E. My electric was pushing $300 per month for 1,350 sq.ft home with the heater hardly ever on!!!
Your electic bill may be higher because the houses are larger. Plus, many houses here have electric heat vs. gas heat in California. One odd thing I found out here is that almost every house uses an electric stove, even if they have gas heat. I found that to be a bit odd.

In the Los angeles area, my electric bill was about $300 for a 1,200 sqft house PLUS the gas bill for heat, water and clothes dryer. Here my electric bill is about $170 for 2,400sqft with electric heat, water heater and clothes dryer.

My subdivision has private wells (you can actually DRINK THE WATER FROM THE TAP!). we have no water bill, or sewer bill (septic tank).

Old 11-08-2006, 09:19 AM

Default 202.70

Quote:
Nothing less than $400 with less than 2 weeks notice. If you find any please by all means let me know. thanks CaliBoy and all that has helped on my "Project move to NC".
A search on travelocity comes up with LAX to CTL (Charlotte) for 202.70 (taxes and frees included) if you don't mind midweek travel. Check the "flexible dates" box and do a search.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks liveInNC, I just got the news from my wife that we can go on Monday next week and stay until Sunday night that will give me more time to look around. And Mvn2nc, I know what you mean, sometime we find ourself wanting to move to a cheaper place but end up want to get a bigger home for the same price out here which depetes the purpose of the move. We have to stay between $200-350k, there are always bigger and nice home when the time comes. How are the jobs and homes in Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Durham? Are these cities nice. What are the plus and minus of these cities? Lets say I can find a job in any city in NC. IF you had to do it over again or might considering relocating, which city would you choose, with a combination of nightlife, good schools, big shopping centers, real estate growth, and maybe lake communities. Is there such a place for the price range. The near to perfect place LOL. Thanks guys.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
How are the jobs and homes in Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Durham? Are these cities nice. What are the plus and minus of these cities? Lets say I can find a job in any city in NC. IF you had to do it over again or might considering relocating, which city would you choose, with a combination of nightlife, good schools, big shopping centers, real estate growth, and maybe lake communities. Is there such a place for the price range. The near to perfect place LOL. Thanks guys.
Good schools:
check the school reports http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

You'll find some schools to be sub-standard, and some to be excelent.

Nightlife:
You won't find much if you compare it to Los Angeles nightlife. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I assume that since you have kids, nightclubbing till the wee hours of the morning every night isn't high on your list. If nightLife means a good restaraunt, most areas will be able to do just fine.

big shopping centers:
Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh all have shopping centers, malls , Target, Walmart and alll that stuff. What you WILL miss is In-N-Out burger. However, they don't have Cracker Barrel out in L.A., so I guess it comes out even.

real Estate growth:
There is growth anywhere you look, probably too much growth in most people's opinion. Personally, I wouldn't want to be somewhere that looks like it will be overcrowded in a few years.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM

Nightlife well maybe a street where there are restaurants, bars (sport or dancing) nothing to the wee hours.

No In-n-Out burgers, I can live with that. Is Cracker Barrel a burger joint or BBQ. Maybe I'll open a Fat Burger Stand, have you heard of that before. Do you see any business from california to offer to the people in NC from foods to services?

Real estate growth? Well there are cities that homes value appreciates more than others. Southern Cali homes are selling as fast as say a year ago. It is at it's peak. I kind of wanting to buy where are economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina