Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 18,092 times

Advertisements

I am looking into where to move in the south. I am a single female in my later 20's looking for a change of scene. I am tired of feeling like I am in a rat race in NYC and being constantly on the grind and burnt out. I am looking to live somewhere that is less expensive, is more spacious, and more laid back city. That being said, I do get easily bored when I am in the suburbs so I would still like to be in a city. I also wanted to be close to the ocean if possible, but understand that there are not many cities close to the city. Could anyone tell me about Jacksonville and if it would be a good location for a single female teacher? The other cities I was looking into was Charlotte and Asheville, however Asheville seems a bit more expensive and like it may have fewer job prospects.

Is there any area where I may have a better experience teaching or finding a job as a teacher? thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupie View Post
I also wanted to be close to the ocean if possible, but understand that there are not many cities close to the city. Could anyone tell me about Jacksonville and if it would be a good location for a single female teacher?
You could possibly find a job as a teacher as there is considerable turnover among teachers. Jacksonville is a relatively unattractive city, developed since the 1940's and heavily dependent on the military. Unless you like the prospect of meeting single Marines, I think you would be bored quickly.

I'd suggest looking into larger cities (Charleston, Savannah, Virginia Beach and Wilmington NC).

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 18,092 times
How would you compare Wilmington to Jacksonville? Thank you for the feedback!

Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 AM

Wilmington is larger at 105,000 than Jacksonville at about 70,000. Wilmington is physically very attractive, has a historic downtown and is close to nice beaches. It has better, more sophisticated shopping. It has more music and art, better restaurants.

The advantage to Jacksonville is that housing is less expensive. It also has a very large population of young men. Since Wilmington is considered more desirable, it may be easier to find a job in Jacksonville.

You should search the Coastal NC sub-forum as there have been dozens of threads about "moving to Wilmington".

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-31-2013 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 08:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I lived in Jacksonville when my DH was military, and even if you are into single Marines, you'd get bored quick! At least, I got super bored (I like big city, cultural amenities such as fine food, theater, museums, galleries, etc. I'm not really into the outdoors and Jacksonville for the most part feels like a huge tract of suburbia to me as opposed to a proper city).

Wilmington is hands down superior to Jacksonville, and where DH and I usually went for nightlife and decent dining and shopping (Jacksonville is dominated by chain restaurants although there are a few exceptions). While Wilmington still wouldn't meet all of my personal needs, I would choose it out of anywhere else on the Coast if we had to move back to the region again.

There is a lot to like about Wilmington, although the job market is pretty bleak. I'm not sure what the situation would be for teachers though.

I personally prefer Asheville to Wilmington, although I've not spent as much time there. Asheville is known as an alternative, almost 'hippie' type mecca (and it's the #1 place in the country for Vegetarians), and I find it more aesthetically beautiful than Wilmington. But like you said, the job market isn't strong there, either.

Hopefully somebody will be able to assist you better with your prospects for teaching jobs! I also wouldn't pass up Charlotte, or even Raleigh as possibilities.

Just start by striking Jacksonville off your list, it's a pretty abysmal place! Good luck to you!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupie View Post
Is there any area where I may have a better experience teaching or finding a job as a teacher?
I suggest searching this forum on "teaching jobs" or "teachers". You will find many complaints about not having raises in years, having aide positions cut, etc. You should also know that there are no unions. if you are still interested in North Carolina, I'd suggest checking the Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro or Charlotte areas. Examples here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hing-jobs.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-teachers.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...s-winston.html

Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Don't move to NC to teach. Your pay would probably be starting at about $30,000 per year. NC teachers: Low pay forces some from profession, state :: WRAL.com

Do a little research. You'd be better off almost anywhere (including SC, VA, TN) than NC. http://www.nea.org/home/2011-2012-av...er-salary.html

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
My daughter moved to Queens this past weekend. ALL I HAVE HEARD is how much cheapter food is in NY. Talking about 30 - 50% cheaper. Gas is only a little more expensive than here in Eastern NC. I guess property tax is cheaper and certainly housing is, but once that is settled, remember food here is much more epensive.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest searching this forum on "teaching jobs" or "teachers". You will find many complaints about not having raises in years, having aide positions cut, etc. You should also know that there are no unions. if you are still interested in North Carolina, I'd suggest checking the Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro or Charlotte areas. Examples here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hing-jobs.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-teachers.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...s-winston.html
Exactly. Teachers here are leaving the profession/state in droves to either change careers or move to another state where they get some respect and better pay. NC is currently 46th in teacher pay, I think? Bear in mind that our Legislature was recently taken over by the hard Right wing, who have gutted a lot of services as well as Education. Teachers have gotten only. about a 1% raise in the past 5 years.

If all you want to do is get AWAY from where you are now, and teach, you have a lot of places that are not "where you are now" where you'd make more than NC as a teacher and have better working conditions, as well. RESEARCH IT.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I found food in NC to be strangely expensive too- when I first moved there, I wasn't expecting that!

I had a friend who was a teacher in Jacksonville- since she had just finished her Master's degree I don't think she'd been teaching too long so was probably on the 'entry level' salary. Since she was single though, and had student loans + a mortgage + car payments to pay off, she actually took a weekend job at the MCX on base. It's kind of sad when someone can't cut it in a professional teaching position. She wasn't the most frugal person on earth, but even so! I don't know exactly what her teaching job paid her though, whatever it was, it wasn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina