Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will high-tech companies and techies leave (or not locate to) North Carolina because of the turn th
Yes 37 45.12%
No 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM

875 posts, read 1,166,027 times

Advertisements

No, because ultimately companies will go where the workers are and where it is financially feasible for them to do business. RTP isn't going away anytime soon and with the location of the Google and Apple data centers (in the middle of rural NC, no less) we'll be good for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM

66 posts, read 129,907 times
I know of a major employer in RTP that is moving lots of jobs from CA to RTP.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,349,509 times
no, companies will be coming INTO NC rather than leaving.

Companies are not idealogues but will make a business decision. and that favors NC

Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM

352 posts, read 552,564 times
@theoldnorthstate Even though it would be much cheaper to operate, high tech companies don't flock to places like Alabama and Mississippi (and the majority of the South,I'm a southerner BTW) even in a bad economy. They continue to flourish in high cost areas like California and Seattle. Care to speculate on why that is?

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-09-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 04:33 PM

@bug86 Who's that?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
@theoldnorthstate Even though it would be much cheaper to operate, high tech companies don't flock to places like Alabama and Mississippi (and the majority of the South,I'm a southerner BTW) even in a bad economy. They continue to flourish in high cost areas like California and Seattle. Care to speculate on why that is?
transportation, infrastructure and educated workforce.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM

37,929 posts, read 42,232,631 times
Quote:
It's not just about cheaper costs of doing business. NC also has the skilled workforce via institutions like Duke, UNC, NC State, etc. (which are fixed), which, in combination with a lower cost of doing business, will continue to bode well for the state.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM

I agree that Duke ("Harvard of the South"), UNC, NC State act as a bulwark. No matter if North Carolina gets really regressive, those universities aren't going anywhere. The thing is those institutions were acting as a core and a well educated, progressive city was growing from that core. If North Carolina starts going backward, the Raleigh/Durham area will retreat/shrink/return to being mainly a college town. An outpost of intelligence in a "new Alabama". People will come there for a great education and then move on. However, I have hope for NC. As an educated southerner, who has lived all over, I've had to defend the South, had to explain to northerners, west coast ppl, ppl from other countries that all southerners aren't ignorant, intolerant, racist and so on. As an educated southerner, I believe in the idea of "new South". I don't think the dream will die, and I for one will fight for it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,232,631 times
Quote:
I agree that Duke ("Harvard of the South"), UNC, NC State act as a bulwark. No matter if North Carolina gets really regressive, those universities aren't going anywhere. The thing is those institutions were acting as a core and a well educated, progressive city was growing from that core. If North Carolina starts going backward, the Raleigh/Durham area will retreat/shrink/return to being mainly a college town. An outpost of intelligence in a "new Alabama". People will come there for a great education and then move on. However, I have hope for NC. As an educated southerner, who has lived all over, I've had to defend the South, had to explain to northerners, west coast ppl, ppl from other countries that all southerners aren't ignorant, intolerant, racist and so on. As an educated southerner, I believe in the idea of "new South". I don't think the dream will die, and I for one will fight for it.
I completely disagree; you're disregarding RTP entirely as if it's not the largest research park in the world and can just disappear into thin air according to changing political winds. Again, look at all the high-tech industry that hasn't pulled up stakes in Austin with years of GOP leadership in their state legislature. And since you mentioned Alabama, although the state is still as red as ever, Huntsville is still a high-tech haven there. Although it's smaller than the Triangle and is more dependent on federal investment, the tech-oriented private sector there that relies on that federal investment isn't going anywhere and is actually experiencing growth.

While NC has certainly taken quite a dramatic turn to the political far right in terms of politics--which is viewed unfavorably by many--this notion of doom and gloom is being highly exaggerated IMO.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,980,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I completely disagree; you're disregarding RTP entirely as if it's not the largest research park in the world and can just disappear into thin air according to changing political winds. Again, look at all the high-tech industry that hasn't pulled up stakes in Austin with years of GOP leadership in their state legislature. And since you mentioned Alabama, although the state is still as red as ever, Huntsville is still a high-tech haven there. Although it's smaller than the Triangle and is more dependent on federal investment, the tech-oriented private sector there that relies on that federal investment isn't going anywhere and is actually experiencing growth.

While NC has certainly taken quite a dramatic turn to the political far right in terms of politics--which is viewed unfavorably by many--this notion of doom and gloom is being highly exaggerated IMO.
I agree with you! In the short run, I think companies will be concerned about the current politics, but at the end of the day, if NC continues to be a good state to do business, companies will still coninue to relocate here, mainly in the metro areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina