Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or town best meets the following criteria, stated in the thread:
Charlotte 16 34.78%
Raleigh 11 23.91%
Greensboro 2 4.35%
Durham 5 10.87%
Winston-Salem 8 17.39%
Chapel Hill 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times

Advertisements

As many people already know, North Carolina has grown substaintly within the past 10 - 20 years., esepcially the state's Piedmont cities and their respective downtown areas.

This thread will focus on the following town and cities: Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem and Chapel Hill.

Of the the town and cities listed, which in you opinion bests meets the following critieria: vibrancy (day and night activity including weekends), walkability and compactness, curb appeal and aesthetics, best quality of life, safety, and future growth and development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Why in the world is CH in that mix?

I love CH, I have puked on most streets there. And I am sure in all Greek "houses".

But it is not a city in the sense of Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or even Durham.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Why in the world is CH in that mix?

I love CH, I have puked on most streets there. And I am sure in all Greek "houses".

But it is not a city in the sense of Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or even Durham.
Yes, I know its not a city, hence the reason "town and cities" is stated in the thread.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times
I'm voting Raleigh, but not by much of a margin. If I could put them in order, I'd say:

Raleigh
Charlotte
Durham
Chapel Hill
Winston-Salem
Greensboro

Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Of the the town and cities listed, which in you opinion bests meets the following critieria: vibrancy (day and night activity including weekends), walkability and compactness, curb appeal and aesthetics, best quality of life, safety, and future growth and development?
I honestly don't think uptown Charlotte should be on this thread. Based on the things you're asking about (especially future growth and development) uptown Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Heck, the city of Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Also, IMO the best NC downtowns outside of Charlotte are Asheville and Wilmington (two cities that are not on your poll).

Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Well, I'll vote for Chapel Hill just cause I like it best! There is actually a whole lot of urban development going on in downtown CH with multiple properties being redeveloped into urban lofts and shops. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of thing for me personally (I like my yard), but it will be interesting to see how the town is re-shaped.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly don't think uptown Charlotte should be on this thread. Based on the things you're asking about (especially future growth and development) uptown Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Heck, the city of Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Also, IMO the best NC downtowns outside of Charlotte are Asheville and Wilmington (two cities that are not on your poll).
Agreed! Why Winston_Salem is leading this poll is beyond me, never been a fan of that city!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Agreed! Why Winston_Salem is leading this poll is beyond me, never been a fan of that city!
To use a cliche... different strikes for different folks.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Default He

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
To use a cliche... different strikes for different folks.
Strikes? you're doing it wrong

Anyway, its not even a question that Charlotte trumps above and beyond. Safety and "quality of life" might be the only ones we dont excel at but that comes with the territory of being bigger.

Excluding Charlotte, it'd be tough to pick one. None really stand out apart from each other. Unlike say Greenville, Charleston & Myrtle Beach SC, Asheville or Wilmington NC or Even Augusta GA. All small but Heavy hitters

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, I'll vote for Chapel Hill just cause I like it best! There is actually a whole lot of urban development going on in downtown CH with multiple properties being redeveloped into urban lofts and shops. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of thing for me personally (I like my yard), but it will be interesting to see how the town is re-shaped.
I agree Chapel Hill is getting a huge face lift and in terms of being walkable it is hard to beat, it is also quite compact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina