Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should North Carolina drop safety inspections
Yes 13 43.33%
No 17 56.67%
Not sure 0 0%
Dont care 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers Howard; (Primary) J. Bell; R. Brawley; B. Brown; Bumgardner; Carney; Cleveland; Earle; Farmer-Butterfield; Floyd; Ford; Holloway; Iler; Johnson; Lewis; Lucas; Malone; Moffitt; Presnell; Shepard; Starnes; Stone; Torbett; Turner; Waddell; Warren; Wells;;

all are sponsoring a bill to eliminate the annual safety inspection with House Bill 59
The lawmakers feel it would cut back bureaucracy and save drivers a little money.
House Bill 59 says nothing on eliminating the emission test.

North Carolina is one of 18 states and DC that require inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Lawmakers Howard; (Primary) J. Bell; R. Brawley; B. Brown; Bumgardner; Carney; Cleveland; Earle; Farmer-Butterfield; Floyd; Ford; Holloway; Iler; Johnson; Lewis; Lucas; Malone; Moffitt; Presnell; Shepard; Starnes; Stone; Torbett; Turner; Waddell; Warren; Wells;;

all are sponsoring a bill to eliminate the annual safety inspection with House Bill 59
The lawmakers feel it would cut back bureaucracy and save drivers a little money.
House Bill 59 says nothing on eliminating the emission test.

North Carolina is one of 18 states and DC that require inspection.
I'm not opposed to inspections. They serve a purpose. However every other year would work for me.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times
SC does not require safety inspections. During the 4 1/2 years we lived there, my husband said he saw numerous cars that were dangerous to public safety. Personally, as an example, I'd like to know that the car in front of me or behind me on the highway has tires that have sufficient tread so as not to have a blowout, or brakes that work properly.

Save drivers a little money? If spending $13.50 per year is going to compromise a person's financial ability to operate a vehicle....

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
What I'd like to see is an actually meaningful safety inspection done... but less frequently.
Done at change in ownership (sale) is a reasonable time point.

What we have now is a farce.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times
I would like to see no inspections for new cars for the first 3 years and then every other year afterward.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM

160 posts, read 235,317 times
I've owned cars in my time where I've had work done just to meet the safety inspection. You know, it's probably a good thing that it forced me to make the updates.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,577,031 times
A 15 minute skim over a car out of 365 days of driving does not make a car safe. The most common offense I see on a daily basis: one or more brake lights not working.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
I support safety inspections for every one else besides me.
Ever since I had this truck for last 3 years it seems every year I get nailed for something and two of those I thought was frivolous.

First year I pulled into a Snappy Lube and the guy failed me for wipers but IMO the wipers was fine as I thought they remove rain decent plus I always have rain x so less work on wipers.
I was flustered and wasnt going to buy there wipers and said Ill go somewhere else to buy them.
Since he made me pull in the bay he charge me for labor.

The next year, I was failed for a blown tail light bulb at a Mobil 6 oil Change place, glad he brought it to my attention as I rather they discover verses a cop pulling me over giving me a ticket for it.
I figure this time to have my oil change so the shop makes some money and not scam me on inspections.
I wish cars would give you indication when a tail light is blown. There is no way to know if your always in drivers seem and drive alone most of the time.

This last one I was failed for a crack in the brake light glass.
I asked him does the tail light work, he said yes..I thought to myself really and he told me what to fix it.
He said get some clear silicone and come back.
I was thrilled that he didnt just charge me for initial visit as I had 2000 miles before oil change.
I filled cracked with the silicone which was messy, lol. If this ever happens to any one I think rubber cement will be easier to apply.

I been in that play for oil changes and ease drop on cars that come in for inpection and I hear them fail over things like tinted windows.

To me inspections are ways to keep cops at bay.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,567,529 times
I think they should drop it for the first 3 years if you buy a brand new car. It's a money maker plan and simple. After that I can see having one every two years.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Most cars will be traded in (or sold) and replaced fairly regularly.
The few that will be held by the same owner for a long time... are babied.

A thorough independent mechanical safety inspection at time of sale would be an
actual advantage and welcome assurance for most used car buyers.

The outliers (maybe 5%?) of cars that aren't kept up are obvious.
I bet even NC police officers will see them if they look even a little bit.

eta: the poll (and the legislation) miss the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina