Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM

799 posts, read 1,446,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox525 View Post
I think that fact that North Carolina has to put their hands on every dollar made in the state of NC is the problem. NC sells more tobacco than any other state and we know that tobacco is killing people but of course we are still #1 in tobacco. But could this be because "the good ol' boys" of North Carolina benefit from the sale of tobacco. HUMMMM probably. The reason NC has so much trouble with the swepstakes is because they cant figure out how to get their hands on 50% of the money. So that they can mismanage it like they are doing for the Education Lottery. They gave in to the Education Lottery, and by George one year later they are firing and laying off teachers. I was born in NC, and have called NC home for most of my life, but I must say its the most slow progressing state in the country. Its called greed. North Carolina Good ol' Boys have to have their hamd in everything. Shut up I say and control the tobacco, and let them people have their jobs. I say if you shut down the sweepstakes you should ban BINGO and the PICK 3 crap too.

Do you work in the industry? I ask because we're the only people that ever talk about the 50%. That's one of the reasons I turned on the industry. Half of the money is being shipped out of the state. Trickle up, down, or out economics doesn't work when the money leaves the economy. If normal people knew that half of the money is going to an out of state company that isn't paying NC taxes and getting filthy rich from it then they might think a little more about the economic consequences of sweepstakes machines. Instead of money flowing through different parts of the state and local economies most has been flowing into the hands of a very tiny fraction of people. I am one of the people that has benefited from the sweepstakes industry so I can understand how people in the industry can blindly defend the industry without considering all the consequences along with the benefits. We've already done a lot of damage to our state's economy and I think some legislators are realizing that. Consider it a form of protectionism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,772,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cox525 View Post
I think that fact that North Carolina has to put their hands on every dollar made in the state of NC is the problem. NC sells more tobacco than any other state and we know that tobacco is killing people but of course we are still #1 in tobacco. But could this be because "the good ol' boys" of North Carolina benefit from the sale of tobacco. HUMMMM probably. The reason NC has so much trouble with the swepstakes is because they cant figure out how to get their hands on 50% of the money. So that they can mismanage it like they are doing for the Education Lottery. They gave in to the Education Lottery, and by George one year later they are firing and laying off teachers. I was born in NC, and have called NC home for most of my life, but I must say its the most slow progressing state in the country. Its called greed. North Carolina Good ol' Boys have to have their hamd in everything. Shut up I say and control the tobacco, and let them people have their jobs. I say if you shut down the sweepstakes you should ban BINGO and the PICK 3 crap too.
Your post covered a lot of topics but I wanted to confirm that you think that the reason sweepstakes is being shutdown is because the state doesn't know how to tax it?

It's a tax issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina