Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 17,669 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give any info on the statesville area? My family and I might move from central OH to NC for work and need as much info as possible about the schools, crime , taxes, etc. of the area. We are looking for something that is middle-class, and has "southern hospitality" any and ALL information would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Well Statesville is in Iredell County. Taxes are much cheaper than Mecklenburg County. Statesville is about 45mins to an hour to Charlotte all this is dependent upon traffic.

There is a new neighborhood that is supposed to be coming along in the near future about 5 miles south of I-40. I had an ex co-worker from Ohio we laughed as that was where he would need to get gas to fill up when leaving Ohio that's how he found out about Statesville. Some feel Stateville is the forgotten City of Iredell as all the money seems to have been driven to S. Iredell near the lake.

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM

would you classify n. iredell county better or worse than s. iredell? or how about a 25-30 min drive in all directions from statesville, what would be a key area to relocate a family?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
well S. Iredell seems to be where all the new development is going on. I assume that it will move north as suburban sprawl continues. If you like to be in the htick of things then S. Iredell (mooresville) would be better for you. If you like to be out of the way a little then Stateville North woulod be better.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 PM

CharlotteAgent would it be safe to say you deal in realty? if so,we are coming down next weekend for a "walk-thru" of the area and any points of interst would be great and appreciated

Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,328 times
We recently moved to Statesville - at exit 45, close to Troutman but we are within the city limits of Statesville. Supposedly they are going to build a "Birkdale" type shopping center and residential area at this exit. Also a lot of new homes and stores at exit 42- Troutman. Right now we are about 5-10 miles from shopping malls. We are in a small golf course community and it is quite peaceful but I am sure that will change within the next 5 years or so. Statesville is a small city but has a couple of good restaurants. Aso Red Lobster, Applebees, Logan's Steak House are close by along with WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot.
Real Estate taxes are low and I have heard that the schools are quite good. Crime doesn't seem to be a problem. Everyone has been very friendly.

Last edited by Geosueh; 09-26-2006 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM

12 posts, read 50,410 times
Default Statesville is a Ghetto

The differences between Statesville and Mooresville are like night and day. Where Statesville has old, abandoned buildings everywhere, Mooresville is a glistening and busy town with many new retail and dining options. There is essentially no retail option in Statesville (unless you count Wal-Mart), and one must continually drive out of town for high-end goods. Although Statesville doesn't have as much traffic as Mooresville, it feels much worse because the roads, intersections, and traffic patterns are very poorly designed.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:20 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor331 View Post
Can anyone give any info on the statesville area? My family and I might move from central OH to NC for work and need as much info as possible about the schools, crime , taxes, etc. of the area. We are looking for something that is middle-class, and has "southern hospitality" any and ALL information would be great. Thank you.
Of course, if you are interested in what a person who LIVES in Statesville has to say....................
Traffic is horrendous not only on Brawley School / Williamson Rds., but on Hwy 150 as well -
but that's MOORESVILLE - and may be the "glistening" that a fellow poster mentioned.
I commute there daily to go to my job.
There is water front property for sale that's buildable, but "up river" - not as
over-crowded / over-developed as Lake Norman, as well as equally desirable.
Also, if Duke Power wants to raise the lake level, guess what - bye-bye lake
front - not to mention the lake is not the cleanest to swim in.
Statesville's traffic nightmare is Highway 21 N, at the intersection of it
and I-40 and yet they still continue to build.........

Do come down and visit and drive through our area - there are several
realtors here who would love to work with you.

It may be a culture shock for you, as it was for me 30 years ago when I
came here from PA by way of Chicago, but if you remember these few things you'll be OK (I always mention this):
1 We really don't care how you did it "back home".
2. People will go out of their way for you and feed you when you move in
(or they did us when we first got here) and take a genuine interest but you have
to make an effort.
3. Winston is only 40 miles east, Greensboro ~ 70 or so, Charlotte ~ 45 miles south,
Asheville - ~100 miles west, and Wilmington ~250 miles east
(on coast - I-40 E ends at the city limits and becomes College Drive)
4. No parochial schools here, but a few in commuting distance - when my
friends from Rubbermaid moved here, that was important to them.
5. "y'all" is for more than one person, often more than two

Four good websites:
http://www.ncgov.com/asp/basic/citizen.asp
http://www.co.iredell.nc.us/welcome.asp (broken link)
http://www.ci.statesville.nc.us/
http://www.ci.mooresville.nc.us/

This is a great time to drive down - get to see the fall colors, as long as you don't need lodging while traveling the Parkway - sold out!!
Y'all be sweet!

Last edited by mm_mary73; 10-18-2006 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 10-26-2006, 04:27 AM

58 posts, read 229,434 times
Default Troutman

I couldnt resist posting a reply to the debate between Statesville and Mooresville. Yes , Statesville has alot of abanoned buildings....BUT, all that glistens in Mooresville is not gold. Downtown Mooresville has recently seen a change and there has been alot of rebuilding, however, you can see plenty of abandoned buildings there. Everyone speaks about Mooresville, Huntersville, Concord, Cornelius and Statesville. Not many mention Troutman. About 15 years ago I was listening to an interview with Dale Jarret ( NASCAR people know who he is) and he mentioned Troutman. It took 5 years of looking and searching but next month our new home in Troutman will be done and we will be moving in in January. I love all of the Charlotte area and like someone else mentioned, couldnt afford the homes in Mooresville, and it is getting crowded. But Troutman is absolutely wonderful. A mixture of old and new and we already know that future develompment will be kept in check ( for a while anyways). i cannot wait to get out of Long Island and start living again. See ya'all soon!!!
Paulie

Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 11,100 times
Property tax is MUCH lower in Iredell than it is in Mecklenburg County. The Iredell/Statesville schools are also much better rated if you look at the "report cards" online.

We get a LOT of families from Mooresville bringing their children to school in Statesville, whether it be the public schools, the charter schools or the private schools.

There is a lot of new development going up in Statesville. There's an Aldi opening anytime, a brand new movie theater, which is much nicer than the theater in Mooresville, a new Chili's restaurant going in...just to name a few new developments.

There are plans in Statesville also in the future for a SUPER Target! Super Target (like the one in Mooresville) is a lot nicer than Wal-Mart and honestly, the food pricing is comparable, and the quality is well beyond that of Wal-Mart.

We are transplants from California, and have been here about 2 years. Yes, it's different. Yes, it's smaller and less developed, and that's JUST what many of us like about Statesville.

If I wanted to live within crowding, overdevelopment and overly commercialized areas, like in Mooresville & Charlotte, I'd have stayed in Southern California.

The historic downtown area in Statesville is amazing and the neighborli-ness of the town is very warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina