Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

V E R I Z O N repeat.. Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 59,693 times
My dad has T-Mobile and in the mountains just outside Asheville, it doesn't work at all!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM

100 posts, read 417,835 times
Does Verizon work in Lenoir?
Thanks, fredda

Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I have Verizon and love it...but in my particular area it doesn't work the best. My hubby got Alltel cause many friends living in and around NC said it works well in NC. He gets great reception. Now their customer service leaves something to be desired. I will probably keep my Verizon for when we go away from our home area---it's is the over all best IMPO.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have Verizon and love it...but in my particular area it doesn't work the best.
Which county do you live in?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Stanly county. New London. When I went to get a new cell phone and re-up my contract at Verizon I asked them why I didn't have any better reception. They pulled up a map and right where my house is, a very small area on the map, the reception was limited there. I just figured we have a land line in our home and my hubby has his Alltel phone that works well here so I will use my phone when we are away from home. It works great every where else we go.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Definitely Verizon!!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,647 times
I think USCellular is the best for eastern Carolina.. Verizon doesn't do very well around here and I had Cingular/AT&T Mobility and they are not truthful when they say the network with the fewest dropped calls they drop on me all the time (at least where I live) and my mom has Alltel but she gets dropped a lot or the sound on my end listening to her isn't very good and she only lives 1 town over.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM

282 posts, read 835,041 times
I find Sprint has more "dead spots" than it has "live spots" in the triangle area.I'm counting the days to switch plans.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Sorry for being late to the game, but I just discovered the website. I'm slowly reading through many of the threads though I think I've finally found one I can add some insight.

I live in Elizabeth City but have family throughout many cities in the Carolinas. I'm a bit of a tech geek so I carry an Alltel, Verizon and At&t phone. But one important point is that it really matters what your exact location is. 5 providers might serve your area and each cell provider specializes in different areas. It seems like Verizon is very hard to beat in western North Carolina. In Asheville and Boone, they always sound the best and have the best signal. I've heard USCC is very good in eastern North Carolina though I don't have them. But I would rate alltel overall as the best in general throughout the state. Definitely in the Triangle and Charlotte as I spend a lot of time there and have moved both phones into test field comparison to test signal strength in a number of areas. Alltel's first covered city was actually in Charlotte. In New Bern nobody is close to alltel because of what I believe is 2 alltel only towers that I've located. Overall, they seem to be the most solid throughout the state in my humble experience and travels.

No offense to any Verizon diehards, but I think their best quality is that they do a ton of advertising so they're the first provider that many people associate with a good network. They don't do a bad job either. Much more solid that at&t in general. But their prices are so much higher and the big secret is that if Verizon phones don't get a Verizon signal, they'll roam on alltel. That's what Extended Network means. If alltel phones don't get a signal, they'll roam on Verizon. Same goes for Sprint. Sprint's problem is that their signal will fade faster indoors because it's PCS and will give more areas of weak signal that won't switch over. But paying more for Verizon, without any special incentives like My Circle or nights at 7, is really just paying more for a false sense of security in better coverage that advertising has convinced you you'll get. It'll work, but you could pay less and get more with another option.

I will say though I've heard many complaints about SunCom and would not sign up for their service. The plans are good if they cover your area, but they have so many add-on fees and poor coverage areas where they won't roam on another provider that I would definitely avoid them at all costs. But again, there are a lot of regional differences for many areas and what's good on the Atlantic Coast might not be the best on the Tennessee border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina