Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 57,504 times

Advertisements

I paid 3% high-way use tax when I register a used 2000 Honda Accord for $212.25. Two months later, another bill for Vehicle Property Tax came for $95.01.

For a used car only, I have to spend $307.26 on tax per year. Although the vehicle property tax will decrease when the car value depreciates, $307 a year for a used car is still ridiculous!!

Plus, the state income tax is about 7.75%, much higher than in MA (I am from MA, state income tax is flat 5%). 2.75% difference is a lot!

Commodity Tax is higher than in MA as well. Only exception is the property tax per sq. feet. Maybe, MA shouldn't be called "Taxachusetts" ....

Last edited by runhao_hu; 09-20-2007 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
You only have to pay the HUT once upon title transfer, and property tax on your vehicles blue book value once a year. So next year will be less than $100.00

Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,698,636 times
I somewhat agree about NC. I've lived in IL, VA, and FL too and I think taxes here are higher than any of those states. I think it ranks around the middle of states in terms of how much tax residents pay. I'm not sure if this helps or if I'm understanding you right, but if you itemize on your federal taxes most of the itemizations are also deducted from your NC income. If you have a mortgage it makes a difference. If you don't itemize, it is pretty high.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
North Carolina's 3% Highway Use Tax (HUT) is a one-time motor vehicle registration tax. However, out-of-state residents moving into North Carolina and registering the vehicle that is currently in their name will pay a maximum of $150.00.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Highway Use Tax (HUT)

Property tax is an annual local tax. Where you live determines the tax rate. Some areas are very low.

Depending upon your filing status and your taxable income, the North Carolina income tax rate ranges from 6 to 8.25%.

I have no idea what you are referring to as a commodity tax. Do you mean the state and county sales tax?

On a nationwide basis, North Carolina's tax burden is about average according to the Tax Foundation in Washington, DC. Neither high or low.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-20-2007 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
North Carolina's 3% Highway Use Tax (HUT) is a one-time motor vehicle registration tax. However, newcomers to the state will only pay a maximum of $150.00 per vehicles.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Highway Use Tax (HUT)

Property tax is an annual local tax. Where you live determines the tax rate. Some areas are very low.

Depending upon your filing status and your taxable income, the North Carolina income tax rate ranges from 6 to 8.25%.

I have no idea what you are referring to as a commodity tax. Do you mean the state and county sales tax?

On a nationwide basis, North Carolina's tax burden is about average according to the Tax Foundation in Washington, DC. Neither high or low.

Taxes overall are about the same I paid in VA, but that's only because my house here is worth less and therefore I'm paying less in property taxes, but the state income tax is one of the highest in the country (knew that before I moved here) and I paid $500 for mine and my wife's car tax when we moved into NC last year ($250 each). I'm also paying more in car taxes every year, but VA had rolled back the car tax by 70% a few years back, otherwise VA would have been a little more.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Taxes overall are about the same I paid in VA, but that's only because my house here is worth less and therefore I'm paying less in property taxes, but the state income tax is one of the highest in the country (knew that before I moved here) and I paid $500 for mine and my wife's car tax when we moved into NC last year ($250 each). I'm also paying more in car taxes every year, but VA had rolled back the car tax by 70% a few years back, otherwise VA would have been a little more.
The DMV charged you $500 in Highway Use Tax on two vehicles brought in from out-of-state? Why?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

It was more like $473 combined. I don't know why. I thought they were charging us 3% of each of our cars values. I didn't know there was a $150 maximum from out of state drivers that owned their cars prior to moving here. Now I kind of feel that I was had. I paid this amount back in June of last year. Did the laws change since then?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
It was more like $473 combined. I don't know why. I thought they were charging us 3% of each of our cars values. I didn't know there was a $150 maximum from out of state drivers that owned their cars prior to moving here. Now I kind of feel that I was had. I paid this amount back in June of last year. Did the laws change since then?
Not that I'm aware of. I'd contact DMV with your June 2006 HUT receipts ASAP. Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I'd contact DMV with your June 2006 HUT receipts ASAP. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks, I'm going to look into that. It's funny because usually I'm pretty good about knowing exactly what to do and getting everything in order, but I never knew they could only charge you a maximum of $150 per vehicle.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,411 times
DOnt forget NC tax your grocery stuffs....(non prepared food) too! damn it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina