Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my daughter and I are planning to relocate to Virginia or North Carolina. My daughter will graduate H.S in 2 years. We live near Syracuse NY and hate the cold. This has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I would like her to go to college there and begin her adult life in either state. We are looking for a low crime area with lots to do and shopping. Would love to be able to walk the streets of a charming town. We love going to the ocean but prefer a special trip to it. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated as we will need to start visiting some areas you recommend. Thank you for your time :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Charm is in the eye of the beholder but there is still LOT's of it to be found here.
However... you can't eat charm or have it keep the cold and rain away.
Those things all require cold hard cash which for most means a job.

Assuming you're like most...
focus on having a secure job earning AT LEAST as much as you earn now.

When you get down this way for one of the many advance scouting trips you'll be making...
say hi.

eta: As your daughter will be going off to college in two years the in-state tuition rules (and rates)
should probably be the first hurdle for deciding which state to look in for that charm stuff...
and how soon you should be making your move.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-02-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,172,360 times
charlottesville and williamsburg come to mind. both have great universities for your daughter as well

Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsummer1234 View Post
Hi everyone, my daughter and I are planning to relocate to Virginia or North Carolina. My daughter will graduate H.S in 2 years. We live near Syracuse NY and hate the cold. This has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I would like her to go to college there and begin her adult life in either state. We are looking for a low crime area with lots to do and shopping. Would love to be able to walk the streets of a charming town. We love going to the ocean but prefer a special trip to it. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated as we will need to start visiting some areas you recommend. Thank you for your time :-)
You've picked a very large, diverse area to ask about. Both NC and VA have large areas and mountains-to-beaches. I suggest you do independent research and take a visit to the areas you're comsidering, then come back and ask about specific places X, Y, and Z. There are hundreds of towns in NC and VA that probably fit the general criteria you've given, but wouldn't be useful to list.

And definitely research the employment areas IN YOUR FIELD for the areas you're looking at.

I suggest looking at the cities and towns on City-Data's NC and VA pages. Your question is simply (way way) too broad.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,754 times
Default luvsummer1234

Thank you for your responses. For starters, I hope to be able to do my job remotely on a full time basis so I can go anywhere. If not, I'll spend my time going back and forth staying several weeks at a time until she develops friendships. I guess I was looking for an area more for her and some suggestions of where to start. Ive been to the Virginia beach area numberous times and the blue ridge mountains but not interested in living either place and the same with N. Myrtle Beach. I've been to the outer banks , Carey, Charlette and the Lake Norman area. I probably prefer Carey and Lake Norman the most but I'm sure lake norman is expensive. Any further advice on where to start?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 PM

13,379 posts, read 27,109,696 times
Quote:
Any further advice on where to start?
Why not look around the mountains around Boone?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Any further advice on where to start?
Your preferences and concerns sound like any one of the MANY college towns will do you both well.
But if you don't want the coast and you don't want the mountains and you don't want what's in between...
Should we call you Goldilocks?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,306,776 times
Is your daughter researching colleges? Will she want to continue living with you while she's in college? There are better reasons to go to a particular school than, "I live nearby." But being in the right state ahead of time will definitely help with costs.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM

85 posts, read 159,834 times
UNCW or UNC Ashveille or App State

Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM

85 posts, read 159,834 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. For starters, I hope to be able to do my job remotely on a full time basis so I can go anywhere. If not, I'll spend my time going back and forth staying several weeks at a time until she develops friendships. I guess I was looking for an area more for her and some suggestions of where to start. Ive been to the Virginia beach area numberous times and the blue ridge mountains but not interested in living either place and the same with N. Myrtle Beach. I've been to the outer banks , Carey, Charlette and the Lake Norman area. I probably prefer Carey and Lake Norman the most but I'm sure lake norman is expensive. Any further advice on where to start?
For sure look at UNCW Wilmington down to southport and up to surf city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina