Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,746 times

Advertisements

I am currently an unemployed college graduate and have resided in Southern California my entire life. It has become so expensive to live here, that I have started looking for other states that are appealing. I am considering North Carolina and I have narrowed it down to Charlotte, The triangle Area, or Greensboro. Anyone who is familiar that could tell me about:
1. Diversity
2.Housing Market
3. Employment- Is the state more Employer or Employee Friendly
4. Employment-Job Market
5. Weather
6. Entertainment

I will be flying into the city that meets most the above criteria. Thank you again for your assistance and Happy Holidays!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
There are many, MANY threads about all of the things you mention. Use the search function, especially in the particular sub-forum of the area you are interested in. Question about a specific city should go in the subforum for that city (Triangle, Charlotte, Triad, etc). Most of the questions you ask come up at least weekly.

Read through the threads and then ask for specific clarifications. Your question is much too broad and encompassing to be thoroughly answered as asked; imagine if someone went to the California board and asked "Please tell me about weather, job prospects, and entertainment in California--thanks!"

For example, when asking about jobs, you need to specify what industry AND what city. Some cities, even in one state, have vastly different employment prospects than other cities, or for different industries.

You can start with the City-Data pages on each of the cities you mention:

Charlotte
Greensboro
Raleigh
(though the Triangle consists of way more than just Raleigh).

Or, just go to the general NC page and click on any city.

You can get LOTS of the general info (weather, cost of living, crime) from these pages and by searching the forums.

These will give a lot of general info and you can search the sub-forums for more targetted questions and then ask for clarifications.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,264 times
I'm not sure why you specify that natives have to help. I think most people will say the same thing. Apply for jobs in all three cities and go from there. What about those areas appeals to you enough for you to move across the country?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Briefly:

Racial/cultural diversity, which I would consider a plus, would be found in Triangle area/Charlotte; Greensboro not so much.

Jobs...sorry I do not know...you did not mention your field.

Housing: more expensive (and holding values more, currently) in Triangle area, then Charlotte, then Greensboro

Weather: Charlotte a bit hotter, less snow than other two; but they all get ice in the winter. All have humid summers.

Charlotte is largest and most cosmopolitan, great downtown; Triangle growing very fast with incoming research companies/employees from all over the US. Greensboro is, IMO, not very interesting....I personally would choose the other two over Gboro.

Good luck from a NC native

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
1. Diversity: Many areas are very diverse, mixed couples are fine
2.Housing Market Still depressed in most areas, the better the area, the less the depress
3. Employment- Is the state more Employer or Employee Friendly Employer friendly, by far
4. Employment-Job Market Unemployment around 10% most jobs are not high paying
5. Weather Ok, hot summers, pretty cold winters, 5 or six months a year, ideal
6. Entertainment Pockets of entertainment around the bigger cities with a few pearls thrown in

If you are moving to NC just because of cost of living, don't.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Briefly:

Racial/cultural diversity, which I would consider a plus, would be found in Triangle area/Charlotte; Greensboro not so much.

Completely disagree. Having lived in the Triad, Charlotte, and the Triangle, I say Greensboro is as tolerant and diverse as the others, if not more.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Drive up to China Grove. Find Gary's. Eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina