Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 56,959 times

Advertisements

Relocating from MS. I am strongly considering a job opportunity in Fayetteville, NC; however, when viewing some of the comments regarding Fayetteville, I'm hesitant about residing there. Was hoping to receive feedback from Fayettevillians. Recreational activities to do in/around F'ville? (I enjoy outdoor activities) Social scene? And also hoping to receive recommendations regarding adjacent suburbs. I'm a single, professional female in my early 30s seeking a very safe, perhaps surburban area of F'ville -with a commute time of no longer than 30-35min. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,994,232 times
Please feel free to read some of my old posts. I list many things to do in Fayetteville. There are plenty of nice safe places to live in the area both in and out of the city limits.

There is an active live music scene in Fayetteville so I'm told. I don't go to bars or clubs.

You can see here some of the things going on.

upandcomingweekly.com

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM

91 posts, read 307,755 times
I was stationed at Ft. Bragg for 4 years and have had family that still live in Fayetteville for over 50 years. Unless the money is substantially better do not bother. That place is the armpit of NC. I have family from Lumberton, ST. Paul and Fairmont south of Fayetteville and I hate going there. They do not call it Fayettenam for nothing.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM

232 posts, read 476,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagadawgs View Post
I was stationed at Ft. Bragg for 4 years and have had family that still live in Fayetteville for over 50 years. Unless the money is substantially better do not bother. That place is the armpit of NC. I have family from Lumberton, ST. Paul and Fairmont south of Fayetteville and I hate going there. They do not call it Fayettenam for nothing.
Lots of gang activity in fayetteville. If you move, make sure you live in a nice neighborhood or in the suburbs

Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM

572 posts, read 1,613,236 times
I lived in Fayetteville for the first 21 years of my life and leaving was the single best decision I have ever made. My parents still live there and I cringe everytime I visit. There are just so many other places that are light years better than Fayetteville. Just my opinion, stay far far away.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Oh lawd! Ok, so now I'm somewhat scared. I just read where Fayetteville received the "All American City" award? But so far, all 5 posts from commenters have been in tune with -"Beware".

Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,994,232 times
Lots of people on CD love to bash Fayetteville. It is an easy target being a military town with all the bad things that brings. It also has high unemployment and many poor people. The crime rate is higher than other town it's size.

But, I've lived here for almost 10 years. The area has really made a lot of progress and is better than it used to be. In all that time I have never been confronted by any gang activity. If you don't hang out with low-lifes and stay out of low income areas you won't have many problems.

Lots of us chose to stay here to raise our kids. There is plenty to do if you get involved, make friends, and be positive. There are also many nice safe neighborhoods and apartment complexes to choose from.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 46,358 times
My husband is from here and I first moved to Fayetteville from NY in 2003 in which I lived here until 2006. I then moved with my hubby and the Army and we just got stationed back here recently. Before I came back I heard all kinds of horrible things about how bad Fayetteville had gotten and people OVER DRAMATIZING how horrible it was.

Yes things happen here but alot of what I find are not random crimes more so isolated incidents over drugs, gang activity etc.

Do your research , check out some of the areas on the outskirts of Fayetteville. We live in a nice community in Spring Lake or there are nice areas in Raeford.

There is alot to do here thanks in part to the many military folks here and if it's not your piece of cake here then head on up to Raleigh for activities and fun which is only about a 45 min -1hr drive.

Do not let people deter you by hyping it up. I couldnt stand NY because im from there and alot of people who comment on Fayetteville lived here as kids so of course they dont want to come back . My husband is one of those folks who cannot stand it here but doesn't mean it's that bad.

If you know where to stay from aka Bragg BLVD after dark , Bonnie Dune Projects then you should be fine. Like any place should you be walking or jogging in certain areas late at night probably not but hell that's anywhere lol!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

983 posts, read 3,993,895 times
I've lived here my entire life--40 years now, and I wouldn't live anywhere else! There is PLENTY to do in Fayetteville or within a short drive!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina