Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 17,636 times

Advertisements

I'm planing an initial exploritory trip through NC in February. Planning to spend a couple of days at each city. As far as overall quality of life, what city is best for a family with a teen son and a 2 yr old daughter. I'm in sales and my wife is looking into social work or education fields. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:29 PM

37,915 posts, read 42,135,498 times
Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:10 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,503,609 times
With the information you've given, it's between Charlotte and Raleigh. Asheville isn't a town to move to and raise a family.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,174,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
With the information you've given, it's between Charlotte and Raleigh. Asheville isn't a town to move to and raise a family.
Odd, I know several people who are raising families in Asheville. It's a beautiful, vibrant city, with easy access to an incredible array of things to see and do, and their kids seem to enjoy it just fine.

To the OP, there's no simple answer to your question. All three cities are great places to live. Asheville is smaller and will obviously not have the same level of economic opportunity, but otherwise you'll find plenty of people who would prefer to live in Asheville over Charlotte or Raleigh (both of which are find places to live, too.)

Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 AM

983 posts, read 2,549,280 times
When I moved to Charlotte I wasn't thinking of family, mostly what I can do everyday and enjoy. I picked Charlotte because of the airport, it's bigger than Raleigh's airport. The Charlotte downtown seems very vibrant to me, although I don't go there enough. The real estate prices were very reasonable compared to where I moved from. I didn't want snow in the winter, so Asheville was out for that reason, Charlotte still gets very little snow but overall the winters are just cold. So really it depends on what you are looking for. Asheville is a very nice "kind of mountain" city with a very good feel to it. It reminds me of Berkeley in CA. A visit for sure will help you get an overall feel but read everything you can find on this forum, that's how I collected a ton of information before I moved. Good luck and let us know what you select and why.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,211,371 times
I've lived in Charlotte and Raleigh, and if I could pick one of the three it would be Asheville.

I have a family, btw. Not sure about the comment regarding raising a family in Asheville, but I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,314,688 times
Any of those areas (and others) would have someplace good for families. In the end it will come down to where you can find jobs.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,871,706 times
How is it that you have narrowed it down to NC, but don't know the city? Are you looking in other states as well? Charlotte is the most urban, Raleigh the most suburban, and Asheville is all about the mountains (and unquestionably the most "liberal" of the three).

What attracted you to NC specifically (vs, say, SC, Va, etc)? This might give clues on which place fits your needs best.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM

487 posts, read 750,846 times
Can I jump in here and ask for a little clarification on "just as cold?" I live in the Chicago area, and am considering a move to the Charlotte area because I can't take much more cold. If it's jackets and gloves, OK. If it's parkas, snowboots, and weathermen who tell you how many minutes you can remain outdoors before freezing exposed body parts - NO!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,674,315 times
Once again, I wonder why the poster specifically omitted anywhere within the Piedmont Triad region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina