Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 29,232 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a girl from Oregon looking to either go to NOrth Carolina State or University of NC @ Wilmington for a term next year. Its hard for me to narrow it down, because I have never been to the SOuth before. Would you guys be able to tell me some positives and negatives about Raleigh and Wilmington and which you believe is better? I love being active and sports and am not too much into the party scene. However, I love meeting new people and am very much a people person. I can't wait to experience the Southern culture. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
If being near the beach is important then choose Wilmington. If it's not then choose Raleigh because it's probably superior in most categories other than proximity to the coast.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson92 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a girl from Oregon looking to either go to NOrth Carolina State or University of NC @ Wilmington for a term next year. Its hard for me to narrow it down, because I have never been to the SOuth before. Would you guys be able to tell me some positives and negatives about Raleigh and Wilmington and which you believe is better? I love being active and sports and am not too much into the party scene. However, I love meeting new people and am very much a people person. I can't wait to experience the Southern culture. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you

Honestly, I think you'd find things to like about both schools and make some great friends. Is there no way you can fly out for a quick visit to each before you make your decision?

When my nephew from out of state was looking, he expected to like NC State the most, but actually Wilmington was the one he loved when he came for his visit. The campus was nicer and the proximity to the beach was something he was really excited about. Hope this helps a little bit!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If being near the beach is important then choose Wilmington. If it's not then choose Raleigh because it's probably superior in most categories other than proximity to the coast.
I can think of one category I can think of it's not superior...price though if you are looking t out-of-state schools price is probably not an issue Medical and UNC-W is often brought up in the same sentence, bu not so with state. That could be b/c UNC-W has a better program or b/c NC State, though great, pales in comparison to it's neighbors in Chapel Hill and Durham in that regard. I honestly don't know.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I can think of one category I can think of it's not superior...price though if you are looking t out-of-state schools price is probably not an issue Medical and UNC-W is often brought up in the same sentence, bu not so with state. That could be b/c UNC-W has a better program or b/c NC State, though great, pales in comparison to it's neighbors in Chapel Hill and Durham in that regard. I honestly don't know.
I think the OP was inquiring about the cities, not medical programs at either university. Tuition at NCSU and UNCW are quite similar.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
WILMINGTON!

Love that place. Been to Both cities numerous times, and Wilmington is a much better pick. Then again, I like it because it's near the beach but it has all the charm of a normal southern city (as opposed to a beachy city such as Myrtle Beach with nothing but tourist things everywhere)

Raleigh isn't my cup of tea. Especially their universities. BUT. I'm not a university type of person. I chose Community college because I hate universities. I'm making 20,000+ a year and a full time student in community College. Works for me.

But the Tarheel school in chapel hill seems so... Liberal and secluded and like it's own little world. I rather be part of society than confined in a town dedicated to a school.

But Wilmington. If I didn't live in Charlotte, Wilmington would be my #4 Pick in the US below Winston-Salem #2 and Atlanta #3

Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
WILMINGTON!

Love that place. Been to Both cities numerous times, and Wilmington is a much better pick. Then again, I like it because it's near the beach but it has all the charm of a normal southern city (as opposed to a beachy city such as Myrtle Beach with nothing but tourist things everywhere)

Raleigh isn't my cup of tea. Especially their universities. BUT. I'm not a university type of person. I chose Community college because I hate universities. I'm making 20,000+ a year and a full time student in community College. Works for me.

But the Tarheel school in chapel hill seems so... Liberal and secluded and like it's own little world. I rather be part of society than confined in a town dedicated to a school.

But Wilmington. If I didn't live in Charlotte, Wilmington would be my #4 Pick in the US below Winston-Salem #2 and Atlanta #3
One can always count on a Charlottean to say that practically any city in NC is better than Raleigh. Thanks for not disappointing me.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson92 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you
First of all, I'd think that the strength of your particular program of interest is going to be the most important factor in your decision. I am guessing that you have been accepted into both universities? If not, that's the first step.

As for having never been to the South before, I think you will have a large adjustment to make in terms of climate. I was born in Oregon and can tell you that the Summer in the South is going to hit you in the face like a truck. It's not something that is impossible to adjust to but it's a reality.

As for the two cities, they are definitely different animals. Raleigh is much larger than Wilmington and the topography is very different. Raleigh is rolly polly and Wilmington is flat. Politically, Wilmington is more politically conservative than Raleigh. Raleigh, being the fastest growing large city in the country, is filled with people from other places. Raleigh has more diversity, especially in regard to the Hispanic and Asian population. I like both cities and they are easy to access from each other via I-40. Lots of people in Raleigh have homes on the coast near Wilmington.
Wilmington is arguably a tourist town first that's much more active from mid Spring to mid Autumn and very busy in the Summer. I always have fun there during those times. It's somewhat sleepy in the Winter. Raleigh's the State Capital and year 'round city. However, when Wilmington is at its most active (warm weather holiday weekends), Raleigh is at its most quiet. Conversely, my friends from Wilmington come to Raleigh when it's quiet in Wilmington or if they need to do some shopping that is not available at home. Overnight trips from Raleigh to Wilmington are very common since it only takes an hour and 45 minutes to drive. Between the two cities is practically nothing but a long mostly flat Interstate.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
One can always count on a Charlottean to say that practically any city in NC is better than Raleigh. Thanks for not disappointing me.

Wilmington is one of my favorite cities in the entire USA. Probably #3 to visit behind San Antonio and New Orleans. Of course I'd suggest Wilmington... I love water. Hence why I love San Antonio (Riverwalk) and New Orleans....

I also said Atlanta would be my 3rd pick.... Trust me. If I was being so competitive or whatever about Charlotte, I would not have said ATL would be my 3rd pick.....

Why so defensive?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I would focus more on the school and the program and less on the actual city the colllege is in. When you apply for a job down the road, the quality of your education will be way more important than the city you lived in while you received it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina