Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,672 times

Advertisements

NC DMV requires that the seller have the title notarized when selling it to the buyer. However, the seller has gone to 3 notary publics in DE and none of them will notarize the title! They say that it already has an official State of Delaware notarized seal on it from DE DMV and they're not allowed to renotarize the document. How in the world are we going to title it in NC if DE notaries won't do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,162,651 times
That sounds odd. They should notarize the owner's transfer to you (i.e., the owner's signature)--the notary is attesting to the identification of the seller. I don't know what the State of Delaware seal you mentioned is for. If it's for the original title of the car, then that has nothing to do with your transaction (and the Del. notaries should know that). So perhaps the seller has already notarized his/her signature at the DMV? If so, then you should be good to go.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 PM

The DE title says that any alterations made will make it void. It already has an official seal on it and it's in the seller's name when she titled it in DE. To sign over the car to the buyer, there is a section on the back for seller and buyer info & signatures. The notaries state that by placing their seal and notarizing it, it is an alteration to the document and will void the document - regardless if it doesn't matter for NC DMV.
I'm wondering if the seller signs it, has a notarized copy of it, and have the notary make a note that they are unable to make alteration to the title in addition to a notarized bill of sale - then NC DMV might accept it.
It's becoming a real pain!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,162,651 times
So how do they transfer titles in Delaware then? Sorry to say you'll probably need to make one or two of those dreaded "wait forever" phone calls to DMV to get this straightened out. I'm curious to know what you find out, so please update us.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM

I called NC DMV and they said that when the seller signs the car for sale it must be notarized on the title! I told them that DE notaries wont do it - and she said to tell them this is NC law not DE law - DE notaries still wont do it. I just might have to title it in MD (where I live) then sell it to my dad (in NC).
The car is for him, I'm buying from a friend who is in DE.
Or just sell the thing, send him the money, and let him buy car in NC.
LOL

Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

if you are buying/selling in DE, the seller/buyer just sign the back without notary.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Call a car dealership in DE... ask them out they sell to people in states that require the title be notarized.

We just bought a new car in Jersey and we are from NC. I'm sure the dealerships know how to handle out of state buyers.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
This seems more like a Delaware oddity than an NC one--so you might want to post in the DE forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina