Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM

14 posts, read 25,984 times

Advertisements

Thanks, good to hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,917,924 times
I'd say Johnston County, starting at Smithfiled and working your way up through Garner along 70 being your best bet and Clayton being the prime location. Pick carefully any areas off fo 70 or south of smithfield in the more rural areas of Johnston County. Though nowhere like it used to be, all of the racists in those areas have yet to die off. You are close to I-40 and I-95. Another location would be Eastern Wake county in Knightdale or Zebulon which are on US64 and not far from I-40 and I -95. These areas have the benefits and convenience of what the Raleigh has to offer but for less, as far as housing goes. Education is generally above average in these areas two. You'll experience all four seasons, while on the immediate coast typical winter attire is a sweatshirt with shorts anfd flip flops (thoug these past two winters haven't been typical). You may have snow, but it will be measured in inches for the whole winter, not feet like in the mountains, or Chicago for that matter.

Only possible issues is that aren't any 4 year colleges in the immediate vicinities of this area, but there are plenty in the area at large. Also NC has a great community college system, with many offereing joint degree programs with the four year state colleges. In Johnston County it's Johnston Community College, in Wake it's Wake Tech.

I know there are areas around Charlotte, the Triad and even further west that can meet this criteria but my personal knowledge is chiefly from Raleigh east.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 10,599 times
We're also relocating - I'd agree with urbancharlotte that the midwest can be more racist then southern states. I have a lot of family that live south and I have lived in the midwest all my life. Check out Cabarrus County - I've done A LOT of research and visited many time - it's an awesome place for families, no matter the race.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah2911 View Post
We're also relocating - I'd agree with urbancharlotte that the midwest can be more racist then southern states. I have a lot of family that live south and I have lived in the midwest all my life. Check out Cabarrus County - I've done A LOT of research and visited many time - it's an awesome place for families, no matter the race.

I think that this has a lot to do with the fact that balcks and whites in the south actually live in close proximity to and amongst each other. They also have a shared "culture", if that makes sense. What I mean by that you take a black guy and a white guy from the same cit in NC they'll have similar experiences, background and way of thinking versus the huge cultural difference between blacks and whites in other parts of the country. Divisions in the south are usually more class/economics based. Which admittedly can often be drawn along racial lines.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks for your input!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,807,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityQt313 View Post
I have heard SC is still somewhat stuck on racial issues in certain areas.
I heard people from Michigan have nasty warts in certain areas, and they push old ladies down in the street.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I heard people from Michigan have nasty warts in certain areas, and they push old ladies down in the street.
WOW, u hit it on the nail with that one! SMFH Your momma would be proud.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,883,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I think that this has a lot to do with the fact that balcks and whites in the south actually live in close proximity to and amongst each other. They also have a shared "culture", if that makes sense. What I mean by that you take a black guy and a white guy from the same cit in NC they'll have similar experiences, background and way of thinking versus the huge cultural difference between blacks and whites in other parts of the country. Divisions in the south are usually more class/economics based. Which admittedly can often be drawn along racial lines.
This is ABSOLUTELY true and something most who don't grow up in the South have a hard time ever quite "getting". I can't give you rep points, but wow.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,318,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

Here it is December 2010 and this has to be the post of the year!

My wife has commented that there is a history here that only those who lived it can understand. It was something that totally floored us when we moved here to NC. We weren't sure how folks interacted and were terrified it might be similiar to the north mentality.
But as you said macjr, whether you call it culture or history or experience, it shows in the interaction and relationships of folks here.
And while it may be difficult to understand this history it not having lived it, it's influence can be seen in the daliy interactions of many people here.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the compliments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina