Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

Every state has to get revenue some way. How they do it is up to the state/county/city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
NC has a law too, I think 30 days - here in NY to get ins, you need to provide a reg to get it - i am unsure on the ins laws in NC...

Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 PM

63 posts, read 211,023 times
in jersey we pay registration (about $50), but our insurance is outrages.
I had no idea that it was different in NC.
Thanks for posting this, it's an expense we weren't aware of.
So if my car was worth $9000, then my taxes would be $90 a year?
Just trying to figure this out.
Do you have inspections as well? are they yearly or by yearly?
Thanks again,
Dawn

Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman View Post
in jersey we pay registration (about $50), but our taxes are outrages.
Thanks again,
Dawn
yes to the $90 and yes there are inspections, go to this link:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
NC has a law too, I think 30 days - here in NY to get ins, you need to provide a reg to get it - i am unsure on the ins laws in NC...
In NC the state will ask for the name and account number of your auto insurance company before the issuance of a tag or tag renewal. The companies in NC are required to notify the DMV if NC residents drop their insurance.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman View Post
in jersey we pay registration (about $50), but our insurance is outrages.
Thanks again,
Dawn
Vehicle property tax rates vary by county. I do not pay the same tax as residents of other counties even if everyone drove the same identical car.

Motor vehicle inspection is once a year. Some counties require an additional emission test as part of the inspection while others do not. NC has 100 counties.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
You get tickets from the cops.
You have 30 days I think?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:03 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Vehicle property tax rates vary by county. I do not pay the same tax as residents of other counties even if everyone drove the same identical car.

Motor vehicle inspection is once a year. Some counties require an additional emission test as part of the inspection while others do not. NC has 100 counties.
What counties are doing a smog test?

Since were on the topic of cars. What about tinted windows? I am aware it is illegal in most (if not all) states. Where I am from it is illegal, but do to the heat, I have NEVER seen or known of anyone getting a ticket for it. Even the cop cars are done....lol

Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
Explain? How do they know im not visiting?

Here on Long Island all the illegal immgrants have cars with north carolina plates and the cops don't do anything to them
They'll find out sooner or later. You could be involved in a fender-bender or just be seen in the same general area for months or years. Plus you'll need to get your current out-of-state tag renewed sometime or need to get a new out-of-state inspection sticker. In addition, your auto insurance is not going to be happy if you keep lying about your place of residence. A lot of little things will give you away eventually. Not worth all of the hassle of keeping out-of-state tags and driver's license, in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
What counties are doing a smog test?

Since were on the topic of cars. What about tinted windows? I am aware it is illegal in most (if not all) states. Where I am from it it illegal, but do to the heat, I have NEVER seen or known of anyone getting a tickets. Even the cop cars are done....lol
Mostly counties located in and around moderate to large cities have pollution testing. Aftermarket window tint testing is done yearly at inspection time. Plus, if the cops see a vehicle that doesn't quite look right, they might inquire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina