Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM

119 posts, read 261,861 times

Advertisements

does raleigh get more money than charlotte for roads? Raleigh is working on its second beltline while charlotte has not even finished its first one. From what I have heard raleigh and cary roads are a whole lot better than charlottes. if this is/is not the case please explain. I am not trying to start a war between the cities, just trying to find out the real facts. I also want to know if raleigh makes more money for the state or if charlotte does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
I don't have the numbers, but I doubt it. People like to say that because it is the State Capital Raleigh gets more than it's fair share. But, the truth is funding is decided by the legislators on the NC General Assembly and while they meet in Raleigh they are all from all over the state. It's not like a bunch of people who live in Raleigh are sitting around decding where all the money goes. FWIW, the beltline isn't exclusive to Raleigh. It will run through many other Local Governments in Wake County.

I've been to Charlotte. I don't see any noticable differnce in Roads there than what I see in Raleigh.

Who makes more money for the state? Who knows ... to figure that out you first need to understand how much the local governments keep in their own coffers before taxes get passed on to the state. I have no clue.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,621,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk87 View Post
does raleigh get more money than charlotte for roads? Raleigh is working on its second beltline while charlotte has not even finished its first one. From what I have heard raleigh and cary roads are a whole lot better than charlottes. if this is/is not the case please explain. I am not trying to start a war between the cities, just trying to find out the real facts. I also want to know if raleigh makes more money for the state or if charlotte does.
That's funny. I was just in Charlotte last weekend and commented to the other people in my car about how nice and wide Charlotte's roads were. Now, we were in more of a northern part of the city, near Northlake Mall, so I doubt that this area is a good representation for the whole city, but it was a pleasure driving on wide 4 lane roads with turn lanes and center medians.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
I seen it before but I am not sure where its located now but there is a formula on how much is given to each county part of the tarp maybe someone can find it I do know rural countues receive more look how nice the highways are in the former governors county and eastern NC

Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,907,853 times
Take it you are speaking of the work going on with 70 and 17 in Craven County and Eastern NC as a whole. This work pre-dates teh Governor, and it has more to do with what's in Eastern NC. Basically every road that can transport Eastern NC military bases to each Interstate and to the states port has top priority. That's why NC 117, a state hwy, is better than US 13. It is the main artery for Seymour Johnson and Cherry Point to I-95 and I-40. It's the reason why every year they pave and repave 70 going from Havelock to Morehead. My wife often jokes that in eastern NC it's like they start paving at one end of the roads around here, and when they get to the other they immediately do it again. These roads are also the main hurricane evacuation routes, whih is why they are kept up. Alot of the back roads in eastern NC aren't as pretty. Island Creek in Jones county comes to mind. One of the main "back roads" (catfish lake) is not even paved. Though in the past year due to stimulus funds there has been a lot of work on the real rural roads in the area.

Here is the official NCDOT take on the matter

NCDOT, Strategic Highway Corridors

Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,992,080 times
It has more to do with who is on the State DOT Board and where they're from. Hwy. 17 got that $ because of who was on the board at the time. Clinton got a bypass built when Lauch Faircloth (former State Senator) was on the DOT board eons ago. Sampson County hasn't seen much $ since, because we haven't had anyone from the area there to get the $.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,500,513 times
The Governor has a lot of influence over which roads get built or upgraded in North Carolina. Note that US 264 was upgraded to full freeway status between Wilson and Raleigh while Jim Hunt (from Wilson County) was in office.

I can't say for sure whether or not Raleigh actually receives an unfair share of transportation dollars compared to Charlotte but it is pretty ridiculous that after more than 20 years I-485 still isn't finished. Both cities are growing way faster than their transportation networks can keep up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina