Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 AM

473 posts, read 1,580,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
I live in Greene County, North Carolina, Snow Hill to be precise. And the highest elevation is only 138 feet above sea level. When Hurricane Floyd hit here in 1999, it wasn't the wind that got us, it was the flooding. And most of it came from a levy breach from Raleigh. 2/3 of Greene County flooded. Luck for us it came within a mile of our house but we didn't flood. But let me tell you, driving the mile to the stoplight and putting my husband out and him getting into a row boat to get to the Town Hall is not an experience I am soon to forget. And it flooded several other counties as well and killed I believe about 42 people. Some of the counties that flooded were Lenoir, Greene, Edgecombe, Pitt, Wayne, Wilson, and I know there are probably more. But these particular counties are more inland than say New Hanover, Craven, Hyde, etc. And amen to what icequeen said. Take my word for it, unless you like the thrill of a hurricane, get further west than Raleigh. Hurricane Fran in 1996 caused damage as far inland as Raleigh. And the hurricanes like Jeanne, Ivan, and Charley that hit Florida so hard, took an amazing course into the western part of the state. I would suggest that you look up North Carolina Hurricane history or hurricane history in general and then decide what you can and can't live with. Good luck. And I have been here since I was born in 1951 and believe it or not, I have only lost a fence, a few trees and a roof from these storms although they are the most unnerving things to live throught. Any category higher than a 3 and I would leave.
What about some of the areas unsanitary conditions from the flooding from Floyd, and because of the huge pig farms, the pig "slop" and carcasses creating cesspools and contaminating drinking water? I believe we lived in Asheville when that happened and it was a mess, how I understand it... All you have to do is search google for "Hurricane Floyd pig feces" and you'll find out about it.

We lived in FL with the most active hurricane season - Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. It's no fun! But the mountains did get flooded, too, from the FL hurricanes, I can't remember if it was 2004 or 2005...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina