Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which second tier NC metro has the best chance of coming first tier?
Asheville 15 27.27%
Fayetteville 9 16.36%
Hickory 7 12.73%
Wilmington 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Think of this as the second tier NC metros. In NC we know about the big three metros of the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte. Of these four areas: Hickory, Wilmington, Asheville, or Fayetteville do you think will be on the level of the Big 3. I know they may never be on their level but at least on High Point's level in the Triad.

So the question is which area shows the most economic, social, and political promise. Think political not as in liberal or conservative, but influential in the political spehere, whether that is liberal or conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Wilmington. I think it has the highest corporate profile of the four and is definitely the fastest-growing. The only drawback is its relative isolation.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
I voted for Hickory. This town's MSA will most likely merge with Charlotte's CSA before any of the others become tier 1 NC metros.

Now, if we take such a merger out of the equation, I would say Asheville. To me, Asheville is destined to become western NC's "big city". Currently, Asheville is already NC's largest MSA outside of Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Arent we Lucky to live and be from a State with the top ten biggest cities give you different things.

There are only 3 other states with a great mix of cities like NC, and those are Cali, FL, and Texas

Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I voted for Hickory. This town's MSA will most likely merge with Charlotte's CSA before any of the others become tier 1 NC metros.
Maybe, but I don't think that automatically means it would have more economic promise. Look at Salisbury as an example.

Quote:
Now, if we take such a merger out of the equation, I would say Asheville. To me, Asheville is destined to become western NC's "big city". Currently, Asheville is already NC's largest MSA outside of Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad.
I don't think Asheville really wants this status though. To me, the city seems to be content with being something of a hidden jewel. I said Wilmington because its becoming really popular, especially with retirees, and is really growing quickly. It's outstripping Asheville in growth and it's only a matter of time before it overtakes it in population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Arent we Lucky to live and be from a State with the top ten biggest cities give you different things.

There are only 3 other states with a great mix of cities like NC, and those are Cali, FL, and Texas
You forgot Ohio.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

You forgot Ohio.

I knew I was forgetting one more state with a great lineup of cities.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
I go with Fayetteville, a.k.a. Fayettenam. Fayetteville is already one of the most important cities in the region because of its large military presence. But as I mentioned in another thread, most people aren’t aware of the major growth that is getting ready to happen because of the upcoming base realignment called BRAC. The move will be completed in September 2011 and bring close to 3,000 military personnel. When you include their family members and related military contractors it’s predicted the area will add around 40,000 people by 2013 related to BRAC alone.

“…The move alone will bring about 2,700 civilian workers and soldiers, not counting their family members or the defense contractors expected to move to the region…Lt. Gen. Frank Helmick, commander of the 18th Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg's senior commander, told the Georgia visitors that after BRAC is complete, 10 percent of the Army will be stationed at Fort Bragg, which already has about 54,000 soldiers. He said Fort Bragg will have more generals than anywhere else except the Pentagon…”

Recent Story: FayObserver.com - BRAC workers pay a visit to Fayetteville
BRAC Info: Hope for Homebuilders? - BusinessWeek

And I know Wilmington is Hollywood south, but one pop culture tid bit many may not be aware of is Fayetteville is the hometown of arguably the most up and coming artist in rap music named J. Cole. He’s going to be a really huge star and he’s known for proudly shouting out Fayetteville in all his songs. It may sound trivial to some, but this guy is really putting Fayetteville and the extended Triangle area on the map in Hip Hop circles.

Historic Downtown Fayetteville, NC

New Forces Command Center at Fort Bragg

J. Cole, the first signee to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label: The Official J. Cole Site

YouTube - J. Cole - "Who Dat" Video Trailer

Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM

I am surprised that Ashevilles MSA is higher than Fayetteville MSA. I looked at the GDP for each area and Fayettevilles has been outpacing the bunch, much to my surprise as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I am surprised that Ashevilles MSA is higher than Fayetteville MSA. I looked at the GDP for each area and Fayettevilles has been outpacing the bunch, much to my surprise as well.
By MSA are you talking about population? If so, I can imagine in our lifetime we'll see Fayetteville passing Asheville. Right now Fayetteville is only a two county MSA and I see that number growing as the area expands over the next few years. And I've always been shocked that Hickory is such a large MSA. I can imagine that in the future the parts of the Hickory MSA closest to Charlotte might split off and join Charlotte's. The outter reaches of the Hickory MSA are so far away though that I don't see the whole area joining, but that would be something.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
By MSA are you talking about population? If so, I can imagine in our lifetime we'll see Fayetteville passing Asheville. Right now Fayetteville is only a two county MSA and I see that number growing as the area expands over the next few years. And I've always been shocked that Hickory is such a large MSA. I can imagine that in the future the parts of the Hickory MSA closest to Charlotte might split off and join Charlotte's. The outter reaches of the Hickory MSA are so far away though that I don't see the whole area joining, but that would be something.
Yes I am referring to population. I was responding to urbancharlotte on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina