Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,585,810 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate my sister-in-law. She is a controlling high maintenece manipulative woman who completely dominates my brother. I can't stand it. He has turned into this completely spineless creature that caters to her every whim and he has completely lost all personality besides sucking up to her. The thing is, he seems happy to be this way. It's like he enjoys being controlled. She is not controlling in an abusive way, just everything she says goes. He used to like to play on a rec baseball team on Weds nights and Sats. She told him that she didn't like him not home for dinner on Weds and so he quit. She tells him how to dress, how to wear his hair, when he can go out, where they go eat, which friends he can hang out with etc. Do some people like being controlled like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,198,960 times
Yes........lots of people like being controlled.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Yes........lots of people like being controlled.

I'm just sad. I miss my old brother but he seems happy so I guess if it works for him there is nothing I can do.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,893 times
Keeps life simple for us guys.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:17 AM

429 posts, read 1,149,248 times
I think a lot of people would prefer a direct, but controlling, person to a passive-aggressive one.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,330,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I absolutely hate my sister-in-law. She is a controlling high maintenece manipulative woman who completely dominates my brother. I can't stand it. He has turned into this completely spineless creature that caters to her every whim and he has completely lost all personality besides sucking up to her. The thing is, he seems happy to be this way. It's like he enjoys being controlled. She is not controlling in an abusive way, just everything she says goes. He used to like to play on a rec baseball team on Weds nights and Sats. She told him that she didn't like him not home for dinner on Weds and so he quit. She tells him how to dress, how to wear his hair, when he can go out, where they go eat, which friends he can hang out with etc. Do some people like being controlled like this?

Yes!

She is feeding your brother's passivity, and he likes it. Opposites attract.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,920,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I was once married to a guy like that. He tried to tell me what to wear, what to eat, what I could/couldn't read, who I could have as friends....NO single people!....what kind of car I could drive, what kind of job I could have and on and on and on. Well, he hated that I wouldn't buckle and do what he said and we divorced after six years. His mother was the same way. I had NO desire to be a Stepford Wife and that, apparently, is what he wanted. AFTER we divorced he admitted he was wrong but, oh well.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:44 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,587,128 times
Yes, there's still a few dinosaurs left.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,189,238 times
MsRiss, perhaps she's doing something "right" that you don't know about.

But seriously, I think there are some passive people in the world. I can think of one lady in particular. It's one thing though to be passively devoted to someone, quite another to be emotionally abused (or worse) as I believe said lady has been in a lot of her relationships.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
MsRiss, perhaps she's doing something "right" that you don't know about.

But seriously, I think there are some passive people in the world. I can think of one lady in particular. It's one thing though to be passively devoted to someone, quite another to be emotionally abused (or worse) as I believe said lady has been in a lot of her relationships.
This sounds terrible, but I almost wish she were being abusive because then I could say something. But the way she is, she is just a b****. I have to get over it though, because all you should hope for is that you loved ones are happy and he is. I just miss the way it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships