Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Take FB out of the equation then, if it's only there for "convenience". The real question you're asking is, "Why are people avoiding me?".

True/False?
True I guess.

But really, the point I was trying to make is how this guy would dislike me regardless of whether or not I was on facebook. It just so happens that him deleting me is how I found out he dislikes me.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think it's all a conspiracy which has a lot to do with those girly pants you like to wear. My guess is that if you invested in a pair of those gangstapants which ride low below the crack to show the hitched-high Calvin undies and where the crotch is around the knees, all these FB problems will just go away and you'll be regarded as "The Man".
I used to wear baggy jeans.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm responding to a post by a person who gets upset when people, who may not even know him in real life, delete him from a social network and said that having lots of friends on a social network, even though you may not know them in real life, makes him feel popular.
This is correct.

However, on your previous post, you made it sound like all my facebook friends are people I never met.

Now it sounds like you're admitting that only some of my facebook friends fall under the category of "people I never met"

Quote:
Also, I thought that facebook app only calculated how many hours you spent on facebook this year. If I'm wrong post the link so I can check it out.
If this year means the past 365 days, then maybe.

But if this year just means 2011, there's no way I've spent 37.5 days on facebook since 2011 started.

The post no longer shows up on my profile. That probably means facebook got rid of the application. It was one of those scams where you need to fill out a survey. But somehow I saw my results without taking the survey.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
True I guess.

But really, the point I was trying to make is how this guy would dislike me regardless of whether or not I was on facebook. It just so happens that him deleting me is how I found out he dislikes me.
I disagree that deleting equals "dislike." It's just not "like," which is different. Just because a person is not my friend, that doesn't mean I dislike him. I could be neutral. I could just simply not care.

How often did you two talk on Facebook? How long since you spoke in real life?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I disagree that deleting equals "dislike." It's just not "like," which is different. Just because a person is not my friend, that doesn't mean I dislike him. I could be neutral. I could just simply not care.

How often did you two talk on Facebook? How long since you spoke in real life?
If you were never friends in the first place, I can understand being neutral and not disliking them.

But when you used to be friends with someone then you stop being friends, that means you dislike them.

We talked on facebook sometimes. But we talked more in person (which you should think is a good thing, since you told me interacting with people in real life is more important).

He deleted me in January. I had a class with him last semester and that was the last time I spoke to him in person. There was no way for me to speak to him in person over Christmas Break.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
If you were never friends in the first place, I can understand being neutral and not disliking them.

But when you used to be friends with someone then you stop being friends, that means you dislike them.
No, it doesn't. Sometimes people just clean out their lists and delete the people they never talk to. It's not dislike, it's indifference.

A real life equivalent is Christmas cards. Some people send Christmas cards every year to people who do not send them back. Or they may realize that the past five Christmases have been nothing but signed cards with no notes. "Merry Christmas from Barb and Tom." "Happy Holidays from Jim and Sarah." Just perfunctory greetings given out of a feeling of obligation, not any real interest in each other's lives. No letter or photo, no other contact during the year, just another card with "Happy Holidays from Jim and Sarah." Sometimes Tom and Barb decide enough is enough and quit sending a card, probably to Jim and Sarah's relief, because now they can stop sending one too.

Quote:
We talked on facebook sometimes. But we talked more in person (which you should think is a good thing, since you told me interacting with people in real life is more important).

He deleted me in January. I had a class with him last semester and that was the last time I spoke to him in person. There was no way for me to speak to him in person over Christmas Break.
You really talked? I mean, you had a conversation? Not just posting happy birthday because FB reminded you? He wrote you back?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Sometimes people just clean out their lists and delete the people they never talk to. It's not dislike, it's indifference.

A real life equivalent is Christmas cards. Some people send Christmas cards every year to people who do not send them back. Or they may realize that the past five Christmases have been nothing but signed cards with no notes. "Merry Christmas from Barb and Tom." "Happy Holidays from Jim and Sarah." Just perfunctory greetings given out of a feeling of obligation, not any real interest in each other's lives. No letter or photo, no other contact during the year, just another card with "Happy Holidays from Jim and Sarah." Sometimes Tim and Barb decide enough is enough and quit sending a card, probably to Jim and Sarah's relief, because now they can stop sending one too.

You really talked? I mean, you had a conversation? Not just posting happy birthday because FB reminded you? He wrote you back?
You don't understand. We were actually friends. Real life friends.

I posted more than just happy birthday. And yes, he wrote back.

But what does it matter how much I talked on facebook? Other posters (including you) keep telling me that real life friendships are more important. I talked to him more in real life.

There are people I hardly ever talk to on facebook but I talk to them on a regular basis in real life.

I thought the point other posters were trying to get across is how talking in real life is what defines a friendship. But now it sounds like you're defining a friendship by how much I talk to someone on facebook.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
if it bothers you that much just ask him

Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
You don't understand. We were actually friends. Real life friends.

I posted more than just happy birthday. And yes, he wrote back.

But what does it matter how much I talked on facebook? Other posters (including you) keep telling me that real life friendships are more important. I talked to him more in real life.

There are people I hardly ever talk to on facebook but I talk to them on a regular basis in real life.

I thought the point other posters were trying to get across is how talking in real life is what defines a friendship. But now it sounds like you're defining a friendship by how much I talk to someone on facebook.
I asked that because you assign some special value to Facebook friends--I don't. You get upset about anybody deleting you, and you seem to add everyone you can. I didn't realize he was a real friend. I thought this was a Facebook issue.

I'd guess you did something to tick him off. Maybe he did avoid you at school. If you want to know what his problem is, then ask him.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
I used to wear baggy jeans.
Not the same thing.

Quote:
I asked that because you assign some special value to Facebook friends--I don't. You get upset about anybody deleting you, and you seem to add everyone you can. I didn't realize he was a real friend. I thought this was a Facebook issue.

I'd guess you did something to tick him off. Maybe he did avoid you at school. If you want to know what his problem is, then ask him.
From what I can gather you have friends in real life, real life friends on FB, acquaintances in real life who you've met and may or may not be friends but could possibly be friends given time, and some of those acquaintances have friended you on FB and some you've friended; then there are FB friends who are friends of friends but they're not really acquaintances because you've never met them and when you pass by one of them who you recognize from their FB photograph you then have to spend a lot of time worrying over whether they recognized you and snubbed you deliberately or whether it was just an oversight and then you spend a lot more time obsessing over whether or not you should have gone up to them and introduced yourself but then if they looked at you blankly that would be a complete bummer as it would show you weren't interesting enough for them.

Obviously (and I'm so grateful for this thread's educational titbits) the very worst scenario is when a friend in real life who is also a friend on FB does the ultimate and UNFRIENDS you on FB and does it sneakily and without any explanation at all. I can foresee the day very soon when the hospital psych wards and mental health professionals' offices are going to be overloaded with Generation Facebookers traumatized by cyberspace deletions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.