Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Dude, this drives me nuts.

People are so used to being two-faced, they don't get it if you are always straightforward and just say what you mean and mean what you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
My sister is really a good, sweet woman. But she takes things too personally. In this case it was one thought that "explained" something else, 2 and 2 became 7 and it became a trainwreck in her mind. She may as well have told me I was a polka dotted chihuahua, it would have been just as accurate. It's these moments where you sit there wondering where all this came from. Jaw unhinged, deer-in-the-headlight, somebody pinch me.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
IMO, it depends on a number of things:

- the other person may be insecure, or has issues resulting from past negative experiences.

- the other person has naturally suspicious, or is highly intuitive.

- the other person simply is expressing how they uniquely react to situations, which in itself may not represent a pathology or illness like paranoia.

OP, i'm not saying your sister has these things, but I think they may be common causes to make persons presume one's intentions without any good substantiation.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
She may as well have told me I was a polka dotted chihuahua
That sounds like an awfully cool idea! Ever considered becoming one...?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
IMO, it depends on a number of things:

- the other person may be insecure, or has issues resulting from past negative experiences.

- the other person has naturally suspicious, or is highly intuitive.

- the other person simply is expressing how they uniquely react to situations, which in itself may not represent a pathology or illness like paranoia.

OP, i'm not saying your sister has these things, but I think they may be common causes to make persons presume one's intentions without any good substantiation.
I'm fine with highly intuitive. The polka dotted chihuahua - not so much.

She is insecure. Still annoys me when anyone does it, for any reason.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
I usually find that the folks who are most suspicious are the ones who have guilty consciences.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm having a bit of a challenge with my little sister. It seems she has had the impression that I was avoiding her and some of the family, claims I had a distant tone with her about a year ago, that it rubbed off on my son and there was something going on that we have been hiding from everyone. I have absolutely NO idea what she is talking about, but she seems to have let her imagination run wild and now the family thinks there is some big secret I have been keeping. I have no energy for my family's incessant need for drama, but it is an annoying habit that many people have.

How many of you have heard these:

"I thought you didn't like me." when you have never even MET the person before.

"I thought you were mad at me." when there was never a problem.

"You didn't seem too excited, so I figured you didn't want me there." I wouldn't invite people I DON'T want to be there.

"You said (one thing) but I know you really meant (something else)."
Now you're calling me a liar.

Nails on a chalkboard.

Just had to vent.

Sounds like my older sister, I have dealt with this for a lifetime.
I am always mean, being malicious, selfish, you name it.
I can't take it anymore.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude, this drives me nuts.

People are so used to being two-faced, they don't get it if you are always straightforward and just say what you mean and mean what you say.

You are so correct. I am very direct. And when I am direct, I get this "Well, you really mean this..." or "The real reason is because..."

I say, "No, I meant what I said."

Then they get mad. I say, "What is so hard to get? Why do you complicate it?"

Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I usually find that the folks who are most suspicious are the ones who have guilty consciences.

My family always enabled my sister's aggression.

When I got married, she was horrible. They felt sorry for her, because I was getting married and she wasn't, so they excused her constant sniping at me.

I asked her what the heck was going on, why she was always so mad at me, and she said, quite snippy, "I...just...don't....like...you."

Yet, my family says we don't get along. Go figure. I just avoid her now. There is no pleasing her, and anything I do is wrong.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
My family always enabled my sister's aggression.

When I got married, she was horrible. They felt sorry for her, because I was getting married and she wasn't, so they excused her constant sniping at me.

I asked her what the heck was going on, why she was always so mad at me, and she said, quite snippy, "I...just...don't....like...you."

Yet, my family says we don't get along. Go figure. I just avoid her now. There is no pleasing her, and anything I do is wrong.
That sounds terrible!

When I have encountered someone who is constantly questioning motives, feelings I usually get the feeling that 1) the person is insecure or 2) behaves in the manner I am being accused so they assume others have the same behavior patterns.

Sorry you have such a strained relationship with your sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships