Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 04:31 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

My employer stopped providing cups at all. If you want coffee, bring your own cup or buy it from the place downstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 07:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Our office got a Keurig and everyone brought in their own K Cups.
What I can say to that is beware, to each their own.

Once upon a time, I belonged to an informal office coffee club and about the only rule was that whoever's turn it was to bring in the next can, it had to be the approved brand. Not the cheapest stuff but something like Fodgers or the like.

Things went great for a while. As I was the mid shift worker, I was the only one drinking from the pot I made. THEN, one morning, I walked in, and the drip maker had been replaced by the Keurig machine, that sight greeted me.

No one had asked me, no one had informed me that this change was coming, and it was just right there.

Well, as far as the K cups go, I am not going to contribute that way to the plastic waste in the world so I stopped drinking coffee club and brought in my own means, such as in a thermos.

As to what is decided and how to handle the problem at hand, call a meeting of ALL, make sure everyone is on board, and lay out the rules. If you are going to change the method of making, as my office did to me, make sure to at least post a notification that this happening. When I walked in and saw that, I realized that they didn't think of me as part of the team. Which is another side of the coin in that it can go both ways, that being a separist of the coffee club, be it bringing in your own thermos or not obeying the rules, might make in the minds of others that one is not a team member.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
I did my own coffee, no issue that way.

I actually remember someone stealing people’s lunches from the break room fridge. Who does that??

Old 01-07-2024, 05:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I did my own coffee, no issue that way.

I actually remember someone stealing people’s lunches from the break room fridge. Who does that??

That is one of the most common things ever. Apparently there is a lunch or food stealer in every office.

There are lists of the most creative ways people have found to out the food stealers at work even.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:16 AM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times
This is why Hermit takes care of Hermit's own wants and needs. Dealing with some people is just a drag.

Bring your own coffee, OP.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:34 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There will always be a few adult-sized children at workplaces. Every single office I've ever worked at had at least one. ... The same juveniles would just compensate by leaving their single use mug brewing supplies around the break room for someone else to clean up.
We have a sign warning people that dirty dishes are considered trash, and there is follow through on that. Didn't completely eliminate dirty dishes being left behind (and I am guilty of sometimes forgetting to go back at the end of my shift and pick up ) but it sure curtailed most of the problem!

Old 01-09-2024, 12:30 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
We have a sign warning people that dirty dishes are considered trash, and there is follow through on that. Didn't completely eliminate dirty dishes being left behind (and I am guilty of sometimes forgetting to go back at the end of my shift and pick up ) but it sure curtailed most of the problem!
I worked in an office where every morning I would find in the breakroom sink a large cereal bowl and spoon "soaking" in a soapy, milky, soggy cheerios liquid sitting on top of the drain rendering the sink unusable all morning. I wondered who the mystery slob was and one day tossed the bowl in the trash.
Later an email went out from the department manager demanding that whoever stole her bowl immediately return it.
I had to stifle a laugh because her low-class and clueless behavior was consistent with her management skills.
Soon a new dirty bowl began appearing in the sink every morning and met the same fate again, and again.
It was a battle of wills which I eventually won.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:40 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I used to work in an office with a K-cup machine that fed the cups into a small bin. (K cups are a terrible wasteful system of course, and we ditched it eventually.)

Whoever showed up to a full bin (there was a light I think) was supposed to empty it into the garbage. One guy figured out that if he jiggled the bin the light would turn off, so he never had to empty it. He even showed me, proudly, how he got out of doing his share. He turned a six-second job into a two-second job, saving himself four seconds.

Old 01-09-2024, 04:31 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
I worked in an office where every morning I would find in the breakroom sink a large cereal bowl and spoon "soaking" in a soapy, milky, soggy cheerios liquid sitting on top of the drain rendering the sink unusable all morning.
While I agree some slob leaving their dirty dish in the sink every day is inconsiderate, ONE bowl rendering the whole sink unusable? That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think? I'd probably take a phased approach. Dump but not wash the dish and use the sink as usual. Tack up a reminder for people to clean up their own mess. Something like a Dilbert cartoon about break room slobs might send the message that someone notices and is getting annoyed. If they continue, dump the bowl.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:06 AM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While I agree some slob leaving their dirty dish in the sink every day is inconsiderate, ONE bowl rendering the whole sink unusable? That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think? I'd probably take a phased approach. Dump but not wash the dish and use the sink as usual. Tack up a reminder for people to clean up their own mess. Something like a Dilbert cartoon about break room slobs might send the message that someone notices and is getting annoyed. If they continue, dump the bowl.
Nope. There's a dirtball at my work who likes to leave dirty dishes and utensils in cabinets and drawers ... I throw them out immediately.

They've dug their heels in, but have lost a lot of nice stuff over the past two years. At least it's getting to be less and less.

Some people are not going to be reasoned with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships