Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 06:13 AM

9 posts, read 8,131 times

Advertisements

This Thanksgiving I'll do my usual routine of watching the National Dog Show (with my dog) and then football. I'm also getting a Thanksgiving dinner for one from Wegmans for the first time; if it's good, I can see that becoming part of my tradition. I don't usually do anything for Christmas but this year I'm going to Quebec City with Road Scholar. Not looking forward to flying anywhere in December so fingers crossed re weather and airline shenanigans.

I used to go to a friend's house for Thanksgiving but it could be stressful at times. His family was a bit crackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 06:15 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registrarln View Post
Donate your time. Can you sing or play the piano/guitar? Visit a nursing home and bring some joy to folks. Can you cook? Bake cookies for the homeless. Go to your local animal shelter and volunteer to be a dog walker.

Ah... but then you are not alone!
I got chastised for saying that in a prior year....

Old 11-02-2023, 07:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
The "point" is for those who are ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS to share with ONE ANOTHER how they cope with these occasions that are famously not about being alone, but rather about being with your nearest and dearest. When you don't have any (not a creature is stirring -- not even a spouse), it can present special challenges. The question is, as always: what is your routine or tradition if you spend these communal holidays in SOLITUDE? Do you ignore it? Do you celebrate it anyway? Do you plan something completely different and atypical? Just as bereavement threads are for those who have lost a loved one and not directed at those who haven't, it seems straightforward enough but - year after year - alas, no. Instead of sharing our plans (those of us who WILL be alone, that is), we end up bickering with those who won't who come here to complain they're being excluded. Ironic.

I'll probably spend at least ONE of those days reading through the previous years' threads.

It's a holiday tradition!

Old 11-02-2023, 07:31 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
It`s festivus for the rest of us.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:04 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sounds like my wife and I. Just the two of us, no kids, no pets, no churches. Happily cocooning for 50 years as of 2024.

Like Lucy said in "A Charley Brown Christmas" many years ago: "Christmas is a racket, run by a big eastern syndicate."
Cocooning...I like it! Good for you two. I usually call it 'hibernating'. I've never celebrated these Western holidays as we know them. After Thanksgiving I try to avoid going to all stores, or shopping of any kind, until the new year. The rampant consumerism is nauseating.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:14 AM

36,422 posts, read 16,034,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I'd just as soon skip it all. If not for my Dad 94, I would have no Thanksgiving meal. If it weren't for my stubborn ass brother I'd have no Xmas. There is no point, to me. My daughter and granddaughter are in CA and neither of us will travel across country during the holidays. I don't want anything for Xmas, yet I'm sure my Bro and SIL will bring them.....ugh. BTW, I'll be alone most of the day on the 2 upcoming holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
That sounds wonderful! Like I said, Dad is 94, active and doesn't give a crap about xmas, but he does love a simple thanksgiving dinner, turkey, (ill buy a bone in turkey breast) stuffing, mashed, rolls, olives, cran sauce. Easy peasy. i would love to skip xmas! At least brother decided no meal, so last year it was just a charcuterie board. If I tell him I'm not doing xmas this year, he'll still go to my Dad's and give him something stupid. I will bake and bro and sil will get cookies and fudge. Dad will get the same. God, I'm stressing already

Each day is just an hour or so, I can deal and alone with my cats the rest of the day. YAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ah... but then you are not alone!
I got chastised for saying that in a prior year....
Guess I blew this thread! Tas the thread killer.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:39 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OH NO! Wrong answer already

That didn't take long at all.
Harry Nilsson wrote it, Three Dog night sang it. ... "Two can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one."

But you're right, it didn't take long.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:49 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If it wasn't for the hordes of people traveling over the holidays I would love to go somewhere. I hear Germany is fun over the xmas holidays. I wouldn't mind going somewhere with snow. Christmas at Yellowstone sounds good. The best xmas I ever had was spent downhill skiing with my husband.
I used to spend New Year's Day skiing every year. It's great because everyone else is home with a hangover, NO LIFT LINES! Super Bowl Sunday too.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:51 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
When you don't have any (not a creature is stirring -- not even a spouse), it can present special challenges. The question is, as always: what is your routine or tradition if you spend these communal holidays in SOLITUDE? !
The rules for participating in this "Alone for the Holidays" thread appear to get stricter and stricter every year.

I guess is that single people with pets should not post in this thread. They should also make sure to get rid of all the mice in the house before posting. With this cold weather, these noisy creatures are moving indoor. We caught two mice last night.

Oh, posters should also turn down any get-together invitations between Thanksgiving and New Year. Got to be truly alone and in complete solitude 24/7 during the entire holiday season to participate in this thread ;-)

Old 11-02-2023, 09:03 AM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
well if I can't post about my Pest kitty I just won't post at all.

j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships