Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 08:30 PM

690 posts, read 644,302 times

Advertisements

dontdatetayswift,

A lot of good points have come up in the above comments. Ultimately, you have to decide what you're comfortable doing based on the information you have. It's totally fine for you to not go to a location that you don't feel is safe.

Having said that, I would look at each of your concerns and see how you can put a safety net around it. For example, if your concern is illness, look up the hospitals and pharmacies in the area. Perhaps get travel insurance (preferably a policy that pays upfront). If your concern is physical harm, make sure you have some friends with you if you go out. If you're concerned about getting robbed, carry a ditch wallet with maybe a little cash and one credit card (assuming you have more than one). Keep copies of critical telephone numbers (both tollfree and toll (non 1-800)) in your room. And so forth. Bad things happen in great locations but planning helps a lot.

Regardless, do what you feel you need to do. There's no reason for guilt either way.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2022, 08:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdatetayswift View Post
There's going to be at least 5-6 of us definitely going, but it could honestly be as high as 10-12. The idea of Rocky Point specifically was merely mentioned by just one guy in the group as something that's been planned, but we don't have an official plan or date set.

Sounds like a trip being organized by a club for which you are signing up as a club member. Before I go any further, is that accurate?

Old 05-02-2022, 08:40 PM

67 posts, read 43,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like a trip being organized by a club for which you are signing up as a club member. Before I go any further, is that accurate?
Nope. Just me and my friends from work going on a little Summer vacation.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Nope. Just me and my friends from work going on a little Summer vacation.

Then why are you not having an equal voice in the plans? And how can 5-6 be "definitely" going (seems if it was definite you'd know if it was 5 or 6) if dates and plans haven't been set? How do you know the dates work for you? If you're not able to "go with the flow" then you need to help direct the flow.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Then why are you not having an equal voice in the plans? And how can 5-6 be "definitely" going (seems if it was definite you'd know if it was 5 or 6) if dates and plans haven't been set? How do you know the dates work for you? If you're not able to "go with the flow" then you need to help direct the flow.
I'm simply saying that we have 5 or 6 regulars in the group who are always down for whatever party or other plans that we partake in. And the dates won't be an issue. We all just request time off from work and that's that.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:32 PM

22,309 posts, read 19,277,553 times
if they all want to go there, it's unlikely you'll change their minds.
just don't go there.

i am a firm believer that if someone has a gut feeling or misgiving and doesn't want to travel somewhere, to always honor that and, well, don't go. trust your gut.

a few times in my life this has happened, and i am convinced that it kept me out of harm's way. once was our honeymoon, which was 3 weeks camping and backpacking in the Canadian Rockies. as the day approached for us to start our trip i got an increasing sense of dread and danger, which i could not ignore. i told hubby that we could not start our trip on that day. we started two days later and that felt fine. he asked why and i told him i just had a really bad feeling about it. i couldn't explain it any more than that. and he respected it. the trip was fine, lots of fun.

then about 35 years later there was a family wedding in a different country, and everyone wanted me to attend, and i really wanted to go, but every time i thought about going and began making trip preparations i physically felt ill. it was very strange. as the time drew closer and again i tried to make plans the physical symptoms got worse, feeling sick, nauseous. whenever i started thinking about going it felt like i was going to throw up. that had never happened to me before , but i decided not to go. many people in the family were not happy with the decision but i know it was the right thing to do. it turns out that every one of my family members that went became ill: some mildly sick, some very sick for several days, and the groom at the wedding nearly died. He literally collapsed minutes after the wedding and was rushed to the hospital. They told him if it had taken 5 minutes longer to get to the hospital he would have died. That still freaks me out every time i think of it.

so if someone feels like a trip might not be safe or they don't want to go, i'd say always always always listen to that and don't over ride it.

trust your gut. don't let anyone else talk you out of it. or tell you you're not being reasonable. or dismiss your fears as foolish. you are the only one that can make that decision. and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else, and you don't have to explain, justify, rationalize, or defend your choices to anyone else. ever. including yourself.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:39 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
I wouldn't go to either one of these places as a vacation. Both have their issues with crime, etc. (FWIW I left LA years ago for many reasons and I've been to Mexico quite a few times. Wouldn't go back to Mexico now, either. Just too many unknowns)

OP, what is your 'plan' for the vacation? Do you want to be on a beach? Sight see? just party ?
I don't see you having much sway in trying to talk people into a different location, since you seem to be the only one who doesn't want to go......

Old 05-03-2022, 07:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
I just googled Rocky Point & it looks beautiful. Plus most of those resorts are all-inclusive anyway so theres no need to even leave the resort if you don’t want. I fail to see how @ a luxury all-inclusive resort you would be affected by drug cartels ….

Old 05-03-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I just googled Rocky Point & it looks beautiful. Plus most of those resorts are all-inclusive anyway so theres no need to even leave the resort if you don’t want. I fail to see how @ a luxury all-inclusive resort you would be affected by drug cartels ….
I'm mostly just worried about a situation where we get ambushed on the drive to or from there. I'm thinking about a scenario where we're the sole car driving on a long, empty highway and then we're just taken over by an opportunistic convoy of cartel members.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:20 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
I'm mostly just worried about a situation where we get ambushed on the drive to or from there. I'm thinking about a scenario where we're the sole car driving on a long, empty highway and then we're just taken over by an opportunistic convoy of cartel members.
Why would you think that would be a likely scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships