Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:22 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,937,919 times

Advertisements

I generally do not hang around when crude stories and jokes are being traded.
Humor I prefer is that which one is making fun of their own failures, something we all can identify in our selves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 09:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,875,538 times
I enjoy a lot of off-color humor and I don't mind a well-told raunchy or dark joke. What bothers me are "jokes" where the humor is based on being unkind to someone (or a group of people) or the "humor" comes from someone's embarrassment or humiliation. I don't find that funny, just meanspirited or cringey.

I do think perhaps more often women respond negatively to those kinds of jokes because typically women are socialized to be more empathetic.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,180,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I guess the women aren't afraid to stand up for their beliefs, and speak up when somebody makes a "joke" that puts down another race or gender.
Too bad the guys aren't that mature.
My degrees are in a field of science that was almost completely male-dominated when I was in school, and one day I finally objected to yet another "women are so dumb"-type joke that one of the professors made in a graduate seminar. He asked me, "Why are women always getting so insulted?" and I replied. "Because men are always insulting us." I also had a student in one of my classes ask a TA once if the skeleton in the case was male or female, and the TA said, "You can tell it's a woman, because the mouth is open." He tried to ask me out when the class was over and I opened my mouth real wide and walked out of the room.

I don't think women feel they have to pretend something is funny to "fit in," but I suspect some insecure and immature men do, to be "one of the boys."

Old 09-29-2021, 02:37 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
Sometimes me and my group of friends will joke around but it seems that the guys will laugh more at jokes you could say are politically incorrect, but the women will kind of laugh, but act kind of shocked, like maybe you should say that, etc.
Politically incorrect "jokes" are not funny, they are insulting. They make most people uncomfortable. Stop being inappropiate. Clean up your brain.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:46 AM

318 posts, read 180,188 times
Hey sorry I took so long to respond. Work and life got crazy for a few days there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Tough to say without knowing the jokes you're speaking of, but I suspect it's not so much a "ladylike" issue, but more of a maturity level issue, TBH.
I could post a couple of the gags off the top of my head, it's just it seems people can be sensitive or offended with such things, and I do not want to cause any infractions by doing so possibly.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:31 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Sometimes me and my group of friends will joke around but it seems that the guys will laugh more at jokes you could say are politically incorrect, but the women will kind of laugh, but act kind of shocked, like maybe you should say that, etc.

But I wonder is it natural for women to be more offended by certain things, or more sensitive? I mean the other day it got to the point where they reacted kind of negatively to one, compared to the guys, and a part of me felt like saying, it's okay find such things funny without being shocked, you don't have to "ladylike", in these modern times.

Of course I didn't say it, but it gets to the point, where you wonder why do they seem more offended and is this normal. If so, why? That way I can understand it more perhaps.

But am I wrong, and this it not common perhaps?
As someone who goes to comedy shows pretty often, they are mostly male attended (say 65:35 male:female ratio.) The shows are for some pretty edgy comedians like Don Curry, DeRay Davis, Godfrey, Gary Owen, etc. so I would say that ratio is no accident and women are more likely to get offended or more likely to voice they are offended at a joke then men are. Hell some have made the joke to ban super feminist women from comedy clubs would save stand up comedy from cancel culture.

As kind of an office comedian myself, there are a lot jokes that I only share with my male homies because I know perfectly well they won’t come for me or my livelihood over being a little offended. Comedy is really designed to make you lose comfort for a very brief time and face and laugh at yourself. IMO the reason guys like Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Louis CK have had long careers was that they were not afraid to poke fun at segments or groups of society for a few minutes.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:08 AM

17,362 posts, read 22,123,192 times
Quote:

But I wonder is it natural for women to be more offended by certain things, or more sensitive? I mean the other day it got to the point where they reacted kind of negatively to one, compared to the guys, and a part of me felt like saying, it's okay find such things funny without being shocked, you don't have to "ladylike", in these modern times.

Of course I didn't say it, but it gets to the point, where you wonder why do they seem more offended and is this normal. If so, why? That way I can understand it more perhaps.

But am I wrong, and this it not common perhaps?
I know women that can literally take/make a joke about anything..........you would swear they were sailors in their previous life!

That being said, I was in Vegas a few years ago and saw Daniel Tosh. My buddy's wife got up after about 15 minutes and walked out (slightly awkward when we were in the 4th row center). My buddy shrugged and stayed for the whole show.

For those that don't know Daniel Tosh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sbw0lZ9LmY

Old 09-29-2021, 07:08 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
What bothers me are "jokes" where the humor is based on being unkind to someone (or a group of people) or the "humor" comes from someone's embarrassment or humiliation. I don't find that funny, just meanspirited or cringey.

I do think perhaps more often women respond negatively to those kinds of jokes because typically women are socialized to be more empathetic.
Exactly. There can definitely be a lot of bullying disguised as "can't you take a joke?"

Old 09-29-2021, 09:03 AM

19,735 posts, read 20,289,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post

Sixteen Candles was considered very funny. Now much of it is cringeworthy: the racism toward Asians, the rape culture of "I could violate you a hundred ways" and passing a drunk girlfriend off to another boy who has sex with her while she is too drunk to even remember it, never mind consent to it, etc.
^I think this is a good example of what the OP is talking about.

Sixteen Candles is a hilarious movie, it's probably even more funny now than it was in the 80s, lol.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^I think this is a good example of what the OP is talking about.

Sixteen Candles is a hilarious movie, it's probably even more funny now than it was in the 80s, lol.
The OP already started a thread about that in the movies sub-forum. Several people commented that even Molly Ringwald has come out saying that in retrospect, there were a lot of problems with that movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships