Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 11:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 850,468 times

Advertisements

I’ve moved a lot over the yrs and Unfortunately the consequence of that is that very few if any close friends are in the same geographical location where I am at
Like most people I have made friends over the years at work school or in neighborhood however now as a parent when time is so limited it’s very hard toPut aside time for socialization

What Suggestions does anybody have to meet people online with similar interests and possibly similar backgrounds who might be interested in friendship? Obviously I want to meet them in person and continue relationship however this is strictly non-romantic

Any and all suggestions are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 12:16 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
The main issue I have with giving you recommendations for meeting people online and then meeting them in person is that most of the time people are from all over the place. For example, I've been active in the FIRE community (financially independent retire early) as well as a book recommendation community (Modern Mrs. Darcy). Both online. Both have meet-ups. Both are (now) international. I'm involved enough to know the "who's who" of the groups, but not nearly so much as to buy airline or event tickets or even message anyone directly. However I have read and seen many, many examples of members going this extra mile. Sometimes they even end up developing their own platform or becoming a contributor. The FIRE community has (had?) FinCon... a whole convention of personal finance, early retirement and investing enthusiasts...

It's not hard. You just have to find the podcasters in the area of interest and go from there. Usually they have some sort of social media group forum and that's where you start connecting.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:37 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Forget on line. Stick with real life.

How old are your kids?

Get involved in your kids' activities. Be a soccer mom, or a class room mother or whatever. Run the fundraising bake sale. Take your kids to church and Sunday school. Take them to story time at the library. Join a book group. Volunteer at Toys for Tots time.

Stuff like that. Real life.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:00 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

How old are your kids?

Get involved in your kids' activities. Be a soccer mom, or a class room mother or whatever. Run the fundraising bake sale. Take your kids to church and Sunday school. Take them to story time at the library. Join a book group. Volunteer at Toys for Tots time.

Yes - stick with real life. I think the OP is a guy but the advice still holds and I would add athletic activities like a softball league if you're so inclined. Your time is valuable.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:07 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Quote:

How old are your kids?

My kid is in a soccer league. The two families that are Mormon do a lot of activities together. All the others are on their own more or less. The issue is that each year the boys tryout and then change teams. No promise the kids will be together again (or ever again). Also the kids change clubs altogether if they become competitive enough.

This probably is more common for the older kids (teens) than younger kids. Or less competitive

Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:

How old are your kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Yes - stick with real life. I think the OP is a guy but the advice still holds and I would add athletic activities like a softball league if you're so inclined. Your time is valuable.

I completely agree as well. FORGET online! You know know what nutsos you're getting, just like when people date online. I think that's useless & too dangerous. People lie all the time, you don't know who they really are, etc.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:

How old are your kids?

I do all that and a few close friends of my kid are my “ friendly acquaintances “ can’t call them friends as I don’t share much interests with them or particularly like them too much

Plus it’s moms usually at kids activities and I would ideally prefer male friends
Older than me
Gainfully employed
Hopefully with similar interests
Married women have slightly different perspectives than I do on life and always suggesting that I get married

Old 09-20-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The main issue I have with giving you recommendations for meeting people online and then meeting them in person is that most of the time people are from all over the place. For example, I've been active in the FIRE community (financially independent retire early) as well as a book recommendation community (Modern Mrs. Darcy). Both online. Both have meet-ups. Both are (now) international. I'm involved enough to know the "who's who" of the groups, but not nearly so much as to buy airline or event tickets or even message anyone directly. However I have read and seen many, many examples of members going this extra mile. Sometimes they even end up developing their own platform or becoming a contributor. The FIRE community has (had?) FinCon... a whole convention of personal finance, early retirement and investing enthusiasts...

It's not hard. You just have to find the podcasters in the area of interest and go from there. Usually they have some sort of social media group forum and that's where you start connecting.
Very true and a problem i face a lot
Meetup groups are largely local though would you recommend attending their local chapter meetings
I’ve tried a couple times in the past and had some luck but life got so busy lost track and then I moved

Old 09-20-2021, 09:50 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
My husband made some friends at the gym. They would go fishing, out for coffee, target shooting. I don't think they did much exercising. I was always catching them standing around at the gym talking.

Do you have any hobbies?

Old 09-21-2021, 12:42 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,506,352 times
Meetup.com Find a group with people who share an interest and they will become friends in no time. If they don't, you can still enjoy the shared activity with people who also enjoy it and you won't feel you're missing out on friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships