Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM

4,307 posts, read 5,982,952 times

Advertisements

No details to share, I just don't enjoy the Holidays as a person should. Too much resentment, too similar to Gosford Park.

I imagine that I am not alone but I don't like feeling this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 05:11 PM

11,176 posts, read 8,052,589 times
You’re probably going to get some sympathy from others who feel like you do, and a lot of advice on what you should/can do, but the bottom line is that you are the only one with the power to change...if that’s what you want to do.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2019, 06:09 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,535,707 times
Watch a Hallmark Christmas movie..

Old 12-07-2019, 09:27 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,891,340 times
I think it's important (and tough) to let go of the whole "should" thing. There really are no rules about how you're supposed to spend or enjoy the holidays -- or ignore them completely. Of course, there can be family/friend pressure, but it's a good opportunity to practice those boundary skills.

Do what you want to do. If you want traditions, make some you enjoy.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 PM

11,176 posts, read 8,052,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think it's important (and tough) to let go of the whole "should" thing. There really are no rules about how you're supposed to spend or enjoy the holidays -- or ignore them completely. Of course, there can be family/friend pressure, but it's a good opportunity to practice those boundary skills.

Do what you want to do. If you want traditions, make some you enjoy.
Apparently the OP is conflicted.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,726,388 times
If you don't like feeling that way, stop focusing on the resentments and try to find some joy in the season. Even if you can only find one or two small things for which to be grateful, it's a start.

I can't really say more than that, not knowing the details.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,711,412 times
The good news is that it only lasts about 6 weeks. I kind of do a mental version of sticking my fingers in my ears while saying lalalalalalalalala until it's over. It gets easier with time to just enjoy doing what you want to do without a bunch of expectations that will never be met for anyone involved in the usual holiday stuff. It's actually quite liberating to just do what you want and not be involved in it.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 PM

6,331 posts, read 4,254,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No details to share, I just don't enjoy the Holidays as a person should. Too much resentment, too similar to Gosford Park.

I imagine that I am not alone but I don't like feeling this way.

Why feel guilty or not accepting of how you feel? Why are you supposed to like any holiday?

Old 12-08-2019, 12:46 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,625,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

The good news is that it only lasts about 6 weeks. I kind of do a mental version of sticking my fingers in my ears while saying lalalalalalalalala until it's over. It gets easier with time to just enjoy doing what you want to do without a bunch of expectations that will never be met for anyone involved in the usual holiday stuff. It's actually quite liberating to just do what you want and not be involved in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

Why feel guilty or not accepting of how you feel? Why are you supposed to like any holiday?
I agree with both of the above. I have little to no interest in Christmas - almost zero interest - and I haven't been interested in Christmas for 25 years or longer. I haven't participated in any of it for decades.

I had dozens of great Christmases in my life and also in growing up - I do not need any more whatsoever.

There is no reason that you need to be interested in Christmas......and the pre-Christmas run-up.

The only thing I do is sometimes send some Christmas cards - and many years I haven't gotten around to doing that.

I'm not a 'Holiday Grinch', as you term it - I just have no interest.....and do nothing. :^)

OP, I think you might have a spouse, though (need to glance thru the thread again) and I realize if a spouse has expectations of sharing Christmas or expectations of you making Christmas 'joyous' and happy, it can be difficult if not impossible to opt out of it.

You need not feel guilty or weird for not being interested in Christmas and no interest in 'forced merriment'. There are plenty of people who feel as you do.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,358,277 times
Its just too much of a hassle

I like to relax at home and do as little as possible. And that does not include putting up lights and a christmas tree!

Now i do watch Hallmark Christmas movies all the time. I get my enjoyment through that. I help with other things around town. But here - nope. One reason i guess is that the whole thing starts so soon.

I hear people older than me agonizing about all the things they HAVE to do. No one has to do anything. So I'm trying to set that example - lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships