Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I guess I never really thought of it this way:

"An enemy is one who has hurt your ego and a friend is one who has fed it, nourished it. That is why in time of need you know who your friends are: A friend in need is a friend indeed. What is this need? The need comes when your ego is starving. Then you know who your friends are."

It's happened. A friend became an enemy. Why? And an enemy became a friend. Why?

A friend of mine has been preaching to the choir with me for years: You just can't have enough friends! And I continue to limit myself to a few really good friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I guess I never really thought of it this way:

"An enemy is one who has hurt your ego and a friend is one who has fed it, nourished it. That is why in time of need you know who your friends are: A friend in need is a friend indeed. What is this need? The need comes when your ego is starving. Then you know who your friends are."

It's happened. A friend became an enemy. Why? And an enemy became a friend. Why?

A friend of mine has been preaching to the choir with me for years: You just can't have enough friends! And I continue to limit myself to a few really good friends.
I can't speak to what happened between you and your former friend, without more detail but IMO that quote is extremely cynical and not by any means a full (or even useful) description of real friendship.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I can't speak to what happened between you and your former friend, without more detail but IMO that quote is extremely cynical and not by any means a full (or even useful) description of real friendship.
Agree. A true friend (you know, that one "in need") does a lot more than feed an ego. They willingly step IN when real life has stepped ON.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-16-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 06:54 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,451 times
I've always considered the Quality of the friends much more important than the Quantity of friends.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:47 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I have one really good friend, but he lives 250 miles away. We communicate at times, but not often. One thing I do know is that he would be there if I needed him and vice-versa.
The rest of the people I know aren't friends, just acquaintances. My wife and I are pretty insulated. We prefer it that way.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
My wife is probably my only true friend, one that I could count on no matter what.....and my 3 kitties.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:56 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I'm 69YO and I have had a friend from childhood, who's about the same age, we've done foreign travel together, have continued friendship, each from different parts of the country, but she's gotten completely smitten with Trump the last few years, and thinks of him as a god. So when the subject comes up, in a telephone conversation, I just let her ramble on, and I'm too afraid to confront her. Would it be worth it to confront her, realizing one day she'll see the light, have her ego destroyed (a bruised ego is harder to heal than a physical injury) and all will pass.

I'm never impressed with the people who say they have lots of friends. They really don't know the dictionary term. A neighbor and his girlfriend just took off on a cross-country trip, and? I've got friends scattered all over the country, we won't even need motel rooms.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:49 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I'm 69YO and I have had a friend from childhood, who's about the same age, we've done foreign travel together, have continued friendship, each from different parts of the country, but she's gotten completely smitten with Trump the last few years, and thinks of him as a god. So when the subject comes up, in a telephone conversation, I just let her ramble on, and I'm too afraid to confront her.

Why afraid? Just because you don't agree with her views doesn't mean you need to be afraid of her. She wants to talk, not listen to you. Let her. Don't engage. Don't get drawn into a debate. Become less available for the lectures. You are the one deciding to be victimized. She isn't a threat if you don't permit her to change your mind. Are you afraid because you aren't sure of your own view?

Would it be worth it to confront her, realizing one day she'll see the light, have her ego destroyed (a bruised ego is harder to heal than a physical injury) and all will pass.

Well, decide what your goal is here. Convert her, disarm her, or hurt her? See what "light"? She's entitled to her views just as you are to yours. You probably aren't going to change her opinion, so let 'er rip and ignore it. Or, neutralize her by changing the subject...every time she starts in on the topic. Again, if what she wants is to raise her audience's hackles with a diatribe about some ridiculous politician she'll find another audience if you won't cooperate.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. A true friend (you know, that one "in need") does a lot more than feed an ego. They willingly step IN when real life has stepped ON.
I discovered who my true friends were when I developed Stage IV cancer (at the same time that my husband had dementia and a traumatic brain injury). In several cases, people who I thought were just "casual friends" really, really stepped up to help me/him. We are much closer now.

OTOH, a few people who I thought that I could count on totally disappeared.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:19 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
I treasure my friendships but accept that as time marches pn people change, grow, relocate, etc. so I do my best to appreciate them while they are in my life and accept that many will not always be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships