Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:49 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My story is really tame---yet still annoying.

My husband and I once lived in an apartment that was in a courtyard. Right across from our building, an extremely nosy woman lived in an apartment. It was no exaggeration to say that nine times out of ten, every time we left the apartment she would be at her window staring at us, watching our every move. The first time she did it, I glared at her. With most people, that would cause them to back off once caught --- not her! It wasn't like just glancing at someone, then going about your business, she would watch us until we entered our building!

One day, on my way home from work, I tried taking a different route. She was at the bus stop and asked me in broken English if I worked in the area. I told her "no", which was true as I had transferred from another bus. We ended up on the same bus and I sat far from her. I thought that maybe she would stop watching us after that, but no.
I know someone who had the same neighbor. One night he came home very late. That was the only time the neighbor wasn't looking at him from her window. He rang the bell and when she finally opened in her pajamas, he said something like "Didn't see you on the window, just wanted to let you know I came home so you are not missing out." She never watched him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sooner or later, someone feels the need to poke their long nose into your business. With me more often than not it's been a co-worker.

I was working in downtown San Jose. I needed a tooth pulled. There was a dentist just across the street from our office, so I went there.

From the moment I walked in, everything seemed off somehow. There was no receptionist, just the guy and his assistant, which was his wife. I got settled into the exam chair. When the dentist bent over me, I smelled tobacco and alcohol on his breath.

When I got back to the office, a few people asked me what it had been like. I told them I was concerned for other patients because the dentist smelled as if he had been drinking.

One of them was so outraged by this allegation she went across the street to report me. I got a phone call from Dr. Barfly's wife. I denied I had ever said anything. She tried to intimidate me into keeping silent. I just hung up on her. I should have reported him to the State Dental Board but I didn't.

I don't understand the self-righteous mindset of the busybody. Your turn.
Nice co-workers you have. Bizarre story.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A guy here at work.

I don't report to him, my work doesn't impact his work whatsoever, and yet DAILY he feels the need to come to my desk and chit chat. Often times, he asks what I'm doing, or says stuff like "Whatcha workin on?" Also, very often, he walks by my desk and says "Good job Sassy". To me, it often seems like a passive/aggressive "checking up on me" kind of thing.

One day he came up to my desk and asked "Whatcha doin?" I replied "Nothing". He said "You should be doing SOMETHING." I said "OK. I'll do what you're doing." He says "What's that?" I replied "Nothing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I know someone who had the same neighbor. One night he came home very late. That was the only time the neighbor wasn't looking at him from her window. He rang the bell and when she finally opened in her pajamas, he said something like "Didn't see you on the window, just wanted to let you know I came home so you are not missing out." She never watched him again.
Both of these are just hilarious!

Old 06-27-2019, 03:19 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Nice co-workers you have. Bizarre story.
Had. A long time ago. It was a strange and bewildering place to work. The only saving grace was my boss was a cool guy.

One day I noticed the other workers (all women) were watching the clock as it ticked towards 5:00. Almost as a group, they arose and walked out precisely at 17:00:00. I mentioned it to my boss the next day and he said, "Don't ever stand in front of the exit at 5 pm, they'll run you down." Not staying even one second late was their revenge for some action the company had taken or some perceived slight. I never found out what it was but I expect they were blowing it out of all proportion. Drama queens, the whole lot. I often stayed late to kill time while waiting for my boyfriend to get off work, so maybe that accounted for the hostile attitude towards me.

It is the only workplace in which I've had something stolen from me. I had a nice new 49ers jacket hanging on the coat rack and when I went to put it on later, it was gone.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
I was raised by a young single mother. She would often go out in dates. We lived in an apartment building and had a neighbor across the hall who didn't approve of this activity and would gossip about her comings and goings. She would lure my sister and I to her apartment and try to get Intel on who my mother was dating and when she was going out again. We were too little to understand. She often told us our mom was going to hell which was quite upsetting when we figured out what that meant.

Finally fed up my mother invited every male between 18 and 80.over one evening. Her co-workers. My cousin. A guy who ran a business down the street. She had them arrive at different times carrying flowers like they were going on a date. There were probably 12 men in our apartment that night. They all left at once thanking her loudly for the "fantastic time." We had all sat around playing board games and listening to music.

The neighbor was BESIDE herself and complained to the building manager about my mother's orgy. The building manager just laughed as my mom had included his brother (who was the guy who owned the shop down the street.) He told the gossip that it was a set up to catch her spying and that she needed to mind her own business and stop spreading rumors. She never looked any of us in the eye again.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I was raised by a young single mother. She would often go out in dates. We lived in an apartment building and had a neighbor across the hall who didn't approve of this activity and would gossip about her comings and goings. She would lure my sister and I to her apartment and try to get Intel on who my mother was dating and when she was going out again. We were too little to understand. She often told us our mom was going to hell which was quite upsetting when we figured out what that meant.

Finally fed up my mother invited every male between 18 and 80.over one evening. Her co-workers. My cousin. A guy who ran a business down the street. She had them arrive at different times carrying flowers like they were going on a date. There were probably 12 men in our apartment that night. They all left at once thanking her loudly for the "fantastic time." We had all sat around playing board games and listening to music.

The neighbor was BESIDE herself and complained to the building manager about my mother's orgy. The building manager just laughed as my mom had included his brother (who was the guy who owned the shop down the street.) He told the gossip that it was a set up to catch her spying and that she needed to mind her own business and stop spreading rumors. She never looked any of us in the eye again.

Your mom sounds like she was fun and had a great sense of humor. My mom would never have thought of something like that. I really liked this post.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When I got back to the office, a few people asked me what it had been like. I told them I was concerned for other patients because the dentist smelled as if he had been drinking.

One of them was so outraged by this allegation she went across the street to report me. I got a phone call from Dr. Barfly's wife. I denied I had ever said anything. She tried to intimidate me into keeping silent. I just hung up on her. I should have reported him to the State Dental Board but I didn't. .
They can't "do" anything to you. I would laugh in her face and tell her I'm not afraid of her. Then I would never speak to her again. Dentists are a dime a dozen, you can certainly find another one.

This is why i stopped talking to people I work with. They don't have a life outside of the workplace so they try to stir up drama at work.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

What a great story! Kuddos to your mom for thinking up such an appropriate plan.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I do so enjoy Mrs kravitz type stories. Not for the nosy Ness.
It conjures up times when my mom...being housebound and wheelchair dependent ...had her world limited to a patio door view of life. So on days when I had work to do...I'd come home. To listen to her neighborhood update. "Ohh the lady next door just got a new dog. We really should send over a pet treat basket". Turns out the neighbor didn't have a pet... Her sister had stopped over and it was the sisters dog. Another time my mom saw folks dumpster diving...and she got a kick out of some of the stuff they were hauling out.
So to me...when a Mrs kravitz story pokes it's way into c-d land....I smile. I miss my mom...and her kravitz stories.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,671,627 times
When I was in college (age 21), I came down with the flu. My parents’ home was about 45 minutes away and my boyfriend, now husband, drove me home to recover and stayed until my mom came home. I had immediately called my mother when we got to the house to let her know we were there so the car in the driveway would not alarm her.

A few days later the nosy neighbor informed my mother that Shamrock and a BOY were in the house alone all afternoon. My mother calmly explained she knew that as I had called her.

A few years later I was coming back from a trip when there had been a major plane crash from the same destination. The same nosy neighbor ran over to my parents’ home, pounded on the door and breathlessly told them about the crash and was it my plane? I had no idea what had happened until I had landed safely and called them - they had spent hours being upset and worried. The neighbor seemed disappointed I was still alive, just a malicious person.

When the neighbor died, my mother told my dad they needed to leave town for a few days as she refused to attend her funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships