Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 AM

7,624 posts, read 4,365,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Or buy her a Rolodex.
Do kids even know what a Rolodex is anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM

50,795 posts, read 47,664,623 times
2 way street. I have seen some kids with some really mean parents and I don't blame them at all if they ignore them later.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,670,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One of my step daughters texts me before every card sending occasion and asks for our address. Maybe I should anticipate her and send it before she asks. Or buy her a Rolodex.

Haha - a Rolodex! Her mind would blow.

You know, for them to be supposedly so smart technologically, you'd think they'd save our addresses to our contact file.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM

15,262 posts, read 13,132,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haha - a Rolodex! Her mind would blow.

You know, for them to be supposedly so smart technologically, you'd think they'd save our addresses to our contact file.
Being good at tech and being organized are two entirely different things.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,777,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Exactly, no excuse. Unless she was a terrible Mother and they’ve never been close , then no reason to not acknowledge Mothers Day. Too many options available to send gift or card or quick call. Unless he’s on a cancer deathbed , no excuse.
Agree, I lost my mom a few years back. I even bought a card for a couple of years after she passed. Parents aren't going to be around forever.

Now I make it a point with women I know who are mothers to say have a Happy Mother's Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I can remind myself 40 times in one day that it is someone's special day and I should call. Then I will forget it 41 times. I have very short attention span.

My kids love me and I know it. They say nice things to me and about me all the time. They acknowledge the efforts I've made on their behalf. I don't need a phone call to feel good about myself. If one of my kids forgot, I would call them, or remind them at some point that those days are good excuses to call, but I wouldn't sit and pout about it. I'm probably out gardening or hiking anyway. This year I laid on the couch, sick.

IMHO I have it better than my mom. If my card gets to her on time I consider myself lucky. I don't like her, never have, never will. She called me on Sunday and babbled on about her self for 45 minutes. It's obligatory and we both know it.
That's great that you have a close relationship with your kids and that is too bad about your mom.

But again not knowing it's Mother's Day is like saying you didn't know it was Thanksgiving. These holidays are advertised for weeks in advance. Unless someone never leaves their home and doesn't have a TV, how could you not know.

Someone saying they didn't know or didn't have time is just a poor excuse, even a text or a phone call takes no time.

Last edited by seain dublin; 05-15-2019 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM

10,030 posts, read 7,960,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But again not knowing it's Mother's Day is like saying you didn't know it was Thanksgiving. These holidays are advertised for weeks in advance. Unless someone never leaves their home and doesn't have a TV, how could you not know.
I have a TV but I haven't seen commercials in decades, I never watch live TV, everything is streaming or before that was a thing, I recorded what I wanted to watch on the VCR or DVR and fast forward through commercials.

I think that's the trend. Most people I know have given up cable. More people will probably forget, I guess.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,107,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, I lost my mom a few years back. I even bought a card for a couple of years after she passed. Parents aren't going to be around forever.

Now I make it a point with women I know who are mothers to say have a Happy Mother's Day.

That's great that you have a close relationship with your kids and that is too bad about your mom.

Someone saying they didn't know or didn't have time is just a poor excuse, even a text or a phone call takes no time.
I really don't remember seeing any ads for Mother's Day.

I don't really watch TV much anymore, I watch Netflix and YouTube. When I do watch TV I tend to tune out annoying commercials and play around on my phone until whatever I'm watching is back on. I'm not really into having ads in my face everywhere, I think I've learned to mostly ignore them. I even tune them out and skip them whenever possible on the internet.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:51 PM

23,955 posts, read 33,948,329 times
I'm guilty too. The only reason I knew it was Sunday was because my grandson brought home stuff he made for my daughter; I then saw it on the right banner when I logged in here on Sunday, it said happy mother's day. I don't have a mother to worry about; now fathers day I dread and am very aware of. It's always a hard day for me since losing my dad 13 years ago

Old 05-15-2019, 08:46 PM

48,723 posts, read 35,371,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I have a TV but I haven't seen commercials in decades, I never watch live TV, everything is streaming or before that was a thing, I recorded what I wanted to watch on the VCR or DVR and fast forward through commercials.

I think that's the trend. Most people I know have given up cable. More people will probably forget, I guess.
LOL. Yeah, when I read that I was like...... I never saw anything about Mother's Day.

We have cable but only watched stuff DVRd and skip all the commercials. I google the news, so I only get the subjects I'm interested in...

My Mom got a text, that's it. Except I am crocheting her a huge blanket she wanted, but missed the deadline.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM

15,734 posts, read 15,917,594 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's not the first time. And she may not have been surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships