Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,261,778 times

Advertisements

Do you have access to resources or assistance that would allow you to see a therapist who could help you communicate more effectively with your parents to change the current dynamic? You need to get some guidance on establishing and maintaining boundaries, for one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 PM

12,860 posts, read 15,181,796 times
Your mom is way too anal & I'm sure it's a frustration living w/ someone like that. I hope you're out of the house as much as possible. Is your dad still around? What does he say?

Old 05-07-2019, 05:46 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,332,754 times
It sounds like your mom is intent on keeping you dependent and in a childlike state. The things you've posted that she says are disturbing.

Smiling and waving are not a crime. You know that.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM

11,124 posts, read 5,645,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
So, I was outside watering, some young ladies were walking and waved to me and I waved back. After I go inside, my mom was wondering who I was waving to and if it was some young girls. She says "If you smile at any girl in this neighborhood you are going to catch the nasties." then keeps going on a lecture for 20 minutes explaining that I am almost 30 and no longer 18-19 years old. Then says she will tell on me to my girlfriend (lol she can't, she doesn't even have her number.")

Was that really needed? she acted like what I did was a crime.

Some very nice young ladies walk and run by my place every day, exchanging smiles and waves with me and I'm old enough to be your grandfather. Actually, there's some nice not-so-young ladies coming by, who exchange greetings with me regularly. Watering my plants and trees in the evening, has become a sort of social event. There are several dog-walkers whose pooches lavish me with affection, as though I was a family member.

And in fact, if you keep yourself in top condition and have a respectful and friendly attitude, you're never too old to gain nice responses from women of all ages.

Advice to the OP: Keep that separation between your girlfriend and mother or you will regret it.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-07-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 73,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Your mom is way too anal & I'm sure it's a frustration living w/ someone like that. I hope you're out of the house as much as possible. Is your dad still around? What does he say?
I mean, there are times where she can be anal but there are also times where she can be really sweet. She is going through a lot of medical problems at the moment and gets really depressed from her condition. So I tolerate a lot of things from her simply because she just doesn't feel good.

My dad doesn't really try to get involved with things involved between me and my mom. I don't go to him a lot of times because he can be very stubborn and just oblivious. He is nice but it is really hard to describe his personality.

My brother who is older then me lives with us and his wife and 2 children.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
So, I was outside watering, some young ladies were walking and waved to me and I waved back. After I go inside, my mom was wondering who I was waving to and if it was some young girls. She says "If you smile at any girl in this neighborhood you are going to catch the nasties." then keeps going on a lecture for 20 minutes explaining that I am almost 30 and no longer 18-19 years old. Then says she will tell on me to my girlfriend (lol she can't, she doesn't even have her number.")

Tell her you were just being neighborly, and it would have been rude to ignore their friendly gesture.

My gawd. I can't believe she said what she said. And to a 30-year-old, at that. Talking "cooties" to a 30-yr-old.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM

108 posts, read 73,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Talking "cooties" to a 30-yr-old.
Think she was referring to STDs. I am just going to try to be out of the house a lot more then I am right now.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 PM

11,124 posts, read 5,645,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Tell her you were just being neighborly, and it would have been rude to ignore their friendly gesture.

My gawd. I can't believe she said what she said. And to a 30-year-old, at that. Talking "cooties" to a 30-yr-old.
Quote:
Think she was referring to STDs. I am just going to try to be out of the house a lot more then I am right now.

On this forum, I guess we should be accustomed to hearing just about anything. But for your mother turning a friendly smile and wave into the possibility of catching a venereal disease, is the prize-winner for the week.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,259,726 times
Quote:

...... Was that really needed? she acted like what I did was a crime.

No, it was not needed the way she said it but I understand what your mom was doing- she's trying to protect you but she just used the wrong approach by trying to utilize fear tactics to get a life-skills message across to you. Because of your disability you are a very naïve and gullible slow developing person, and intellectually/emotionally you are still too young for your chronological age, more like a young teenager, (don't take offense at that - I'm just being honest with you because your naïveté and lack of experience is very evident in ALL of your posts).

You will probably be a slow but steady developer for the rest of your life and that's good, it's not a bad thing (it's the nature of your disability - my 51 y.o. son is the same as you and he still is slowly developing and becoming more mature and knowledgeable with each passing year but he's still not a good judge of people). Your mom recognizes and tries to compensate for your slow development (probably your dad does too) and she's trying to teach you and protect you from unscrupulous people who will also recognize it and may try to take advantage of your naïveté and lack of maturity and worldly sophistication.

But your mom really needs to drop the fear tactics though when she's trying to warn or advise you and teach you about protecting yourself, and she should try to reason with you on a practical, non-emotional and more adult level. But your mom might also be handicapped in that department too so you may just have to be patient with her.

How old were those young women who smiled and waved at you? Were they teenage girls or were they young women in their 20's or older? I'm betting that fears about their age and their motives was the very first thing that went through your mom's mind when you told her who it was you were waving at. I'm also betting that you aren't really good at judging the ages of people who are younger than you either so she's probably worried about you getting inappropriately friendly with young girls.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,346,808 times
Quote:

Tell your mom that you did nothing wrong. It's nice to have your neighbours to smile with you and wave at you and say hi, how are you? And you do the same back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships