Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 PM

220 posts, read 140,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Can’t get much more cliche than this ^^^^^? Lol
*shrugs shoulders*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I notice sometimes on Facebook or other media, I see people posting pictures of their new car, house etc. In the comments I invariably see "You deserve it!"

How do you feel about that, has anyone said that to you, were there cases where you think you did deserve it?

Do you think social media can bring a seeking of approval, of being noticed?
People post on social media because they want attention. That's all. There's nothing wrong with that.

The "You deserve it," I don't know why people would say that. I really don't.

No one's ever said that to me, at least I don't remember it.

Speaking of a 16 year old with a new car, I had classmates at church in high school and college who showed up with new cars. I honestly don't know if it was a reward for good grades or because their parents bought it for them so they wouldn't have to take public transit. Who knows the reason.

As for me, well, the first car I ever bought was a Mercedes-Benz when I was 24 (bought with fiancé, now husband). I said this to a friend and he hung his head and I KNEW what he was thinking. I asked him, "You think I'm spoiled, right?" I wanted to confirm what he was thinking. He nodded. Well, I had to explain to him that I've been taking the bus and subway since I was in 4th grade and getting rides from people in high school and college while everyone else had cars to drive. Well, he ate his own thoughts and words.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I notice sometimes on Facebook or other media, I see people posting pictures of their new car, house etc. In the comments I invariably see "You deserve it!"

Recently I saw a post on Facebook where parents surprised their 16 year old daugher with a new Honda Accord. It was close to new if not. In comments I saw that same comment "You deserve it". And maybe, the daughter paid for part of it, maybe she worked for it, it's really not my business.

But I can tell you at 16 a new car was not even a thought. I got my first car, 10 years old at 21. I guess you could say my family bought it, I saved most of my birthday money for years, and my parents paid for a bit of it and I used that to pay it on cash. It was not fancy, but I was proud of it. When it was time to trade it in this year, I got a 2 year old used car but nicer this time. But this time I paid the down payment with my money and pay my own payments.

I don't think a 16 year old needs a new fancy car. I certainly never thought I did.

How do you feel about that, has anyone said that to you, were there cases where you think you did deserve it?

I guess at times I've felt like I've deserved something, like a nice day to myself after a week I thought was stressful, something like that.

I don't think I've ever felt like I deserved material things. Just because I have a job doesn't mean I deserve a house or a new car, I don't think. Although I've never posted about getting a car on Facebook. Do you think we post about these things to feel approval, or importance. Usually when I see these posts they are popular people and get lots of likes and happy comments from them. If I were to do so, I wouldn't get many, because I'm not popular. But that doesn't mean I should feel any less happy for myself, because nobody else noticed, or I didn't get their approval.

Do you think social media can bring a seeking of approval, of being noticed?

I think you worry about way too much.

The surefire way to be unhappy is to compare yourself to other people. The surest way to be unlikable is to pipe up with these comparisons.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Should her parents buy her used clothes also? You could say she doesn't need NEW clothes either.

It all comes down to what the parents can afford.

I didn't have any car when I was 16. I had to drive my mom's car. I didn't get my first car til I was 18.

There's a difference. A big difference. (I think most people are generally talking about 10 year old cars, not used cars that are 2 years old).

And this is why you take offense to the 16 year old being given a new car.
Got mine @ 24.

Not offended, just think it's unnecessary and ridiculous … many states don't even allow you to drive @ 16.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:42 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Got mine @ 24.

Not offended, just think it's unnecessary and ridiculous … many states don't even allow you to drive @ 16.
You can get at least a learner's permit at age 16 in every state. Some of them are as early as 14.

49 states allow a restricted license by 16-1/2. Only one state waits until 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships