Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,981,496 times

Advertisements

I help my grandmother out a lot.

Doctors appointments, social events, shopping etc, which usually means a lot of sitting around for me waiting until she needs something or me for anything. Otherwise she stays engaged in her events often leaving me to kinda have nothing to do but sit there and listen and observe.

I’m literally only there out of necessity, she needs help with her wheelchair, getting her food, carrying her things etc. I have zero investment in the events themselves nor are they things I plan on joining, even though one group asked already. So sitting at these things for 2+ hours gets to be very difficult and boring. A lot of them aren’t very interactive events, it’s sit and listen to something for 3 hours.

Obviously I’ll want to pick my phone up during these situations to keep my mind from just absolutely screaming.
During the parts where I’m not able to talk and mingle is it rude for me to quietly sit on my phone?
Usually people talk in the beginning and then it’s a few hours of sitting and doing nothing and then more mingling before everyone leaves.
It’s super hard to sit for that long. I get fidgety and usually my phone alleviates that.

I’m not talking about sitting and playing angry birds with the volume up, I’m talking just texting my best friend about her divorce/custody drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:30 PM

17,856 posts, read 9,283,781 times
It seems fine to me, but you're asking because you obviously think it might not be. Each situation is different and you're going to have to just feel it out. If it's viewed as inappropriate in certain situations, I'm sure you'll pick up on that.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
I don't see a problem with it if you're sitting at the back of the room, out of the line of sight of most people.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It seems fine to me, but you're asking because you obviously think it might not be. Each situation is different and you're going to have to just feel it out. If it's viewed as inappropriate in certain situations, I'm sure you'll pick up on that.
I asked because I wasn’t sure.
Everyone at her events is aware that I’m her caregiver and I’m there to assist her. They know I’m not there to “participate” but you never know.

I’ve got my volume down and it set to vibe.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't see a problem with it if you're sitting at the back of the room, out of the line of sight of most people.
I’ve also got privacy glass so from the sides it looks like my screen is off. It kills like 90% of the light emitted.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
I see no problem with that. I took a pottery class with a woman who always came with a helper as she was awaiting joint replacements and really had very limited lower body mobility. When her husband came with her, he usually sat quietly and read his Kindle unless she needed help moving around, getting something up high off a shelf (although her classmates would also help her with that), or needed other physical assistance. I just thought it was great that he would come and sit with her 4 hours a week while she was doing pottery. Occasionally we’d chat with him about what he liked to read or his hobbies, but for the most part we just left him to read quietly.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I see no problem with that. I took a pottery class with a woman who always came with a helper as she was awaiting joint replacements and really had very limited lower body mobility. When her husband came with her, he usually sat quietly and read his Kindle unless she needed help moving around, getting something up high off a shelf (although her classmates would also help her with that), or needed other physical assistance. I just thought it was great that he would come and sit with her 4 hours a week while she was doing pottery. Occasionally we’d chat with him about what he liked to read or his hobbies, but for the most part we just left him to read quietly.
That’s what I was hoping would be the general consensus.
It’s been and hour and it’s not even close to over.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Funny enough tonight as we were sitting at our table before eating and someone came up to talk to her and said something about the phone in my hand being perfect pacifiers for teenagers. ����
I told him I was 29 but yes it was still a pacifier. ������

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

...someone came up to talk to her and said something about the phone in my hand being perfect pacifiers for teenagers. ����
Rude.

Too bad you couldn't say, "Yep, Grandpa, me with my pacifier and you with your diapers. I guess we're both babies."

Hey, at least you wouldn't be invited back to bingo ... or whatever

Old 11-16-2018, 11:36 AM

16,572 posts, read 10,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Funny enough tonight as we were sitting at our table before eating and someone came up to talk to her and said something about the phone in my hand being perfect pacifiers for teenagers. ����
I told him I was 29 but yes it was still a pacifier. ������
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Rude.

Too bad you couldn't say, "Yep, Grandpa, me with my pacifier and you with your diapers. I guess we're both babies."

Hey, at least you wouldn't be invited back to bingo ... or whatever

Depends on how it was said. Maybe the person was just teasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships