Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Are you sure that you don't mean that almost 90% goes to the homeless, and only 10% goes to program expenses?
Program expenses = spending on programs to help people. 10% for administrative/fundraising.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There are organizations that give free pet food, but they only do it once a week on a particular side of town.

I am concerned about the animals - don't want to see them starving or dehydrated. Some of these people have a hard time taking care of themselves, there is no way they can really think about the animals the way the animals should be thought about.
So I want to be able to hand them bags of pet food and water. I don't even know if they would share the water.

I bought some cheap bowls at dollar store for the pets, but I wish I could afford the collapsible ones.

If anyone is interested, there are tons of sites online that sell stuff for homeless people - toiletries, rain gear, etc. - I have ordered rain parkas, toiletries, and other stuff - and it is very reasonable.
The animal is a prop. It is not their pet.

I see the same dogs being used on different days on different streets in lower Manhattan with different homeless people and their cardboard signs.

Don't fall for it. The upsurge in beggars using pets in the last few years has been very noticeable because they know the animal will tug at a person's heart.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
I keep thinking about this, but have had no breakthroughs.

I often see people begging at stop signs and I am never able to get it together to give them anything.

Last year I packed my car full of water, dry pet food, and some bags of toiletries, but each time I gave someone something, I had to pull over because the stuff was in the back seat.

I guess the only solution is to pack the front seat area full of supplies - but I live in an area where people break into cars, so that might not work either and then if I have someone ride with me, it's a big chore to move the stuff. I guess I could put it in a big container that I could lug to the front seat when I go out.

When I go to this amount of trouble, I never see anyone.

When my car is devoid of anything, I see people all over the place. Today I saw a guy holding a little dog, and yesterday I saw a woman with a dog begging (I had passed her before I saw the dog). There is never anywhere to pull over, either - this has become a major problem for me!

Any ideas?
I love your idea! I'd take something for the human to eat, also. And get some warm sweaters and blankets for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I prefer to donate to the agencies that help the homeless. (I volunteer at one). No wondering if your $$ is going to be used for drugs, drink, or whatever. And it goes a lot farther.
They can't parlay actual dog food into drug money.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The animal is a prop. It is not their pet.

I see the same dogs being used on different days on different streets in lower Manhattan with different homeless people and their cardboard signs.

Don't fall for it. The upsurge in beggars using pets in the last few years has been very noticeable because they know the animal will tug at a person's heart.
Some yes, some not. I saw the same guy with two large dogs often and he did rake in the dough due to them. But he was also pleased for me to take my leftovers and only that for the dogs and only the dogs. And they were in good health. I feel he must have used part of the money to care for them. There is nothing to lose feeding the dog or cat.

Now I sometimes feed a cat who 'belongs to' a homeless man but he doesn't cart the cat around. If the homeless guy didn't keep up him being fed, random people might not keep it up. So I am glad that he does. I like pitching into the cause. I check him for fleas in the summer and could apply flea medication.

He does seem to possibly resent more offered to the cat than him, as someone mentioned above. Last time I took a bag of my own cat food instead of buying a can from the store and he didn't even say thank you! Oh well. At least the cat got the food.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:46 AM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
^^ This is a better idea because the people receiving the merchandise will have to sell it to get the money to buy drugs. This way they will have the money to buy drugs and not have to sell anything.

Even better, buy a box of sandwich bags and some pet food and some drugs, assemble the baggies at home, and then hand out a pair of baggies to each parasite you see on the street. Dog and human will be so happy!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Simply things by just carrying a wad of dollar bills, which all the people you want to help will appreciate more than any kind of food. Not perishable or bulky. Open the passenger window and when they see you waving money, they will instantly step over and take it. You stop for just a moment and then you're going again, not blocking traffic. But watch out for cops, as some places have ordnances against asking or giving, along streets.
That's right, just give them money .... which will be promptly spent on alcohol and drugs. Better yet, carry some unopened small bottles of alcohol, and small bags of various illegal drugs, and offer them a choice at that intersection they're begging at. That's the most convenient for them, and would be what they appreciate the most.

I agree with donations to a pet shelter, donations to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:57 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Thank God we're at least not at the level of the 3rd world, where children are used as props for begging, even deliberately maimed to be more pitiful beggars to bring in more money.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I have volunteered at a food panty/soup kitchen/place of assistance for the homeless, and they did take donations of pet food as well as people food (and clothing, etc.)

I spent about three hours opening big bags of dog and cat food and treats and separating them into the large quart-type plastic zip lock bags for clients of the food pantry who needed pet food. (After a couple of hours, the Beggin' Strips really started to smell good.)

Homeless and poor people know exactly where to go to get food. They know where the soup kitchens and food pantries are. If they're out on street corners asking for money, it is not because they need food for themselves or their pets. I have chosen to give money to street-corner beggars myself, but I don't kid myself about where it goes, and I am sad when I see them using the pets to garner sympathy and money.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
There are organizations that give free pet food, but they only do it once a week on a particular side of town.

I am concerned about the animals - don't want to see them starving or dehydrated. Some of these people have a hard time taking care of themselves, there is no way they can really think about the animals the way the animals should be thought about. So I want to be able to hand them bags of pet food and water. I don't even know if they would share the water.

I bought some cheap bowls at dollar store for the pets, but I wish I could afford the collapsible ones.

If anyone is interested, there are tons of sites online that sell stuff for homeless people - toiletries, rain gear, etc. - I have ordered rain parkas, toiletries, and other stuff - and it is very reasonable.
The sad thing is just because you give the items to the homeless for their pets, doesn't mean they will actually use them for the pets. They may sell the items. You can't assume the pet will receive what you give them. The rescue I volunteer for has given out free collars and food. We have to take the tags off the collars because people will try to return them for money. We've also seen the food we gave out (repackaged in gallon plastic bags) available for purchase at a nearby mom and pop convenience store. Some homeless people will use the items to help their animals but not all will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They can't parlay actual dog food into drug money.
Actually they can. See above. It's harder for them to convert dog food to money but not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships