Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:35 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,768,068 times

Advertisements

Last year my wife's grandmother passed away. Before she passed her youngest daughter came up from the east coast to Michigan to say good buy, and the whole time she kept talking about nabbing the china cabinet after she passed. Her and her husband came up a couple more times for the funeral etc...and never got the cabinet, nor said anything about it. This past year my wife and I and her uncle have been helping clean out grandma's house getting it ready to sell, and one of the last things in the house was that china cabinet. Her uncle didn't want to wait around for any more for all those who said they wanted something but never came to get it so we said we'd take it. My wife was talking to her mother, and she said to her that she needs to call her aunt and tell her that she has the cabinet that she wanted, but never came to get. I told her if this lady hasn't made any effort to get it with in a year don't bother even telling her all it will do is create drama, and we'll get the short end of the stick.
Do you think it would be worth stirring up more family drama, or just keeping quiet about it until it is brought up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:56 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,151,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Last year my wife's grandmother passed away. Before she passed her youngest daughter came up from the east coast to Michigan to say good buy, and the whole time she kept talking about nabbing the china cabinet after she passed. Her and her husband came up a couple more times for the funeral etc...and never got the cabinet, nor said anything about it. This past year my wife and I and her uncle have been helping clean out grandma's house getting it ready to sell, and one of the last things in the house was that china cabinet. Her uncle didn't want to wait around for any more for all those who said they wanted something but never came to get it so we said we'd take it. My wife was talking to her mother, and she said to her that she needs to call her aunt and tell her that she has the cabinet that she wanted, but never came to get. I told her if this lady hasn't made any effort to get it with in a year don't bother even telling her all it will do is create drama, and we'll get the short end of the stick.
Do you think it would be worth stirring up more family drama, or just keeping quiet about it until it is brought up?
I would definitely ask her about it one more time.

Keeping something she made a fuss about would definitely create drama.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,207,811 times
Quote:
Where's the "drama" thus far?

Your wife's mother is correct: Your wife should let her aunt know and give her one more chance. It doesn't sound like she's that invested in the china cabinet anyway.

Man, be glad your mother-in-law seems to be a sensible woman.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,077,282 times
Quote:

The short end of the stick? What's THAT mean? And...what drama? So far, you haven't mentioned any drama. Planning on creating some? What...are YOU wanting the china cabinet?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The short end of the stick? What's THAT mean? And...what drama? So far, you haven't mentioned any drama. Planning on creating some? What...are YOU wanting the china cabinet?
I had the same question, OP: the short end of what stick? By your description, your wife isn't particularly interested in the cabinet, anyway. What's the issue? Did you like it, personally, is that what it's about?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 AM

6,320 posts, read 4,231,575 times
Here is someone who requested a specific item, didn't make a fuss about it and perhaps was waiting until everyone is ready rather than nag about it and now you want to keep it and not let her know, hum and what happens when she finds out you have lied by omission or kept something a secret. Who here is creating the drama?
I'd say your mil is a smart woman. All your wife has to say is you have the china cabinet and it's always there ready to be picked up within 6 months and if she no longer wants it to let your wife know.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:51 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,048,924 times
Quote:
I think it would create more drama if you just kept it without saying anything. How on earth would you be getting the "short end of the stick"?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 AM

9,925 posts, read 7,822,317 times
Don't even put a time limit on it. Let her know you cleaned out the house and you have it at your house for whenever she's able to get it. It was her mother's. You're very nice for holding it at your house until she can get it.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,177,939 times
Unless you're dead set on keeping it yourself I don't know why you wouldn't mention it to her. Personally I am happy to get rid of extra furniture lol.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 AM

6,320 posts, read 4,231,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Don't even put a time limit on it. Let her know you cleaned out the house and you have it at your house for whenever she's able to get it. It was her mother's. You're very nice for holding it at your house until she can get it.

I added the time limit as a compromise, but really agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships